LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Question about helmets

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about helmets

The last time I was at the track was about 10 years ago. I have a Snell 95 helmet from that time that I've only used a handful of times. Is it still legal to use at the track? I know NHRA has updated their standards but I was hoping to avoid having to buy a new helmet when I've got essentially a brand new one at home. Would a track inspection even be able to catch that my helmet didn't meet current standards? It doesn't have any stickers or tags on it saying what standards it conforms to.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

100% dependent on the guy doing tech. One track I go to having a helmet that looks decent is fine, the other track the tech guy once split open a helmet and needed 100+ stitches in the back of his heads. He is a stickler.

By letter of the rulebook I don't think it will fly anywhere if expecting to run 13.49 or quicker.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on the track and tech

I haven't been to the strip for about 25 years. I remember that they thoroughly checked my car last time, battery secured and all that, and checked my helmet. I went just recently and pulled into tech, the guy asked if I had a car number and I told him no. He wrote a number on my car and I was good to go. He looked at nothing.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I never get scrutinized at a test and tune, but at race events it depends on which track I go to. The big boy tracks are more to the letter most of the time.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Launching!

It'll be a test and tune night, but it's at Maple Grove, a pretty big track. Again, would the tech even be able to tell one helmet from another if there are no stickers or markings on it? Do the current helmets have a sticker that I would be missing? I guess I could buy a helmet and return it if they end up not questioning my current helmet.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Helmets are sold with a sticker on the inside, sometimes covered partially by the padding. In the absence of a sticker, a responsible tech person should assign the helmet the same status as a baseball cap. As has been noted, not all tech persons are equally equipped with knowledge and/or sense of responsibility.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Depends if the tech wants to be a *****.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on the Tech, but NHRA rules state Snell 2005 or newer. They usually only accept the Snell rating for 10 years.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:24 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Battery has also been an issue at some tracks I've been to. I never had my tray notoriously snap, but there have been techs who've made sure the battery was held fast.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Every track here in SoCal, Vegas or AZ, I have been to during Tech inspection...the SNELL sticker inside my helmet was verified with the exception of Carlsbad Raceway when it was open....YMMV

yeah I have seen guys do the "helmet shuffle" in Tech inspection lines and then just wear whatever one they had after tech inspection
Old 03-29-2014, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ******
Every track here in SoCal, Vegas or AZ, I have been to during Tech inspection...the SNELL sticker inside my helmet was verified with the exception of Carlsbad Raceway when it was open....YMMV

yeah I have seen guys do the "helmet shuffle" in Tech inspection lines and then just wear whatever one they had after tech inspection
Ive had to do the "gloves shuffle" at the track with the R1 before. lol
Old 03-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info guys. I've found what looks to be a decent Snell 2010 helmet for $89 with free shipping so I think I'll just go ahead a get that one. I'm scheduled to get my motorcycle license soon so I'll be able to use it for that too, if I ever get a bike. My current helmet is open-faced and wouldn't really be good for bike use.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Motorcycle and car SNELL ratings are different.

Motorcycle helmet must take blunt hits and abrasion where a car helmet has to be able to take the sharp force of a rollbar and possibly fire.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

Motorcycle helmet must take blunt hits and abrasion where a car helmet has to be able to take the sharp force of a rollbar and possibly fire.
The description of the helmet said it met or exceeded Snell and DOT ratings.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

The Snell Motorcycle rating is the "M" rating (M2005, M2010), which is legal to use in anything without a power adder. Even though it's not required I wouldn't want to run a car with a roll without an SA rated helmet.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jewbacca
The Snell Motorcycle rating is the "M" rating (M2005, M2010), which is legal to use in anything without a power adder. Even though it's not required I wouldn't want to run a car with a roll without an SA rated helmet.
Thanks for the tip. I don't have a roll bar or a power adder, so I should be fine for now.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Banned

Default Man this is bad news.

I dont believe "test and tune" is an NHRA event. U should call the track and find out what they require Dave.

So now i find out my brand new, never used Snell SFI SPEC 41.1A helmet is no longer NHRA track legal. It has sat in its soft case since i bought it. What can i do with a brand new helmet but not legal for race use? Maybe sell it on Craigs list? Can they be returned to the mfr? Is this kind of a racket or what?

Well thx for posting everyone as its better to find this out now,
cardo
Old 03-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
I dont believe "test and tune" is an NHRA event. U should call the track and find out what they require Dave.
Tracks that are sanctioned will go by those rules during test/tune events, however, as stated there are those who are lenient regarding helmets and ET's. Just depends on the track and the day.

Quick Reply: Question about helmets