LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

optispark

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default optispark

hi my name i Dan.. i bought a 1996 firebird with lt1 6 speed from a friend..he took it to a local shop to have the optispark replaced they put a new one on and said the harness was bad..he didnt want to put anymore money in the car so i bought it from him and replaced the harness...i fired it up and it backfires chokes. i put my scan tool on it and the avdance timing is at a -20 how do i fix this..any help please.....thanks dan
Old 04-02-2014, 10:50 AM

Bumping up hoping someone can help me out
Old 04-02-2014, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

You can't just give one reading for timing and -20 could be perfect for whatever conditions were present at that moment. The computer is going to move timing all over the place as needed. I don't see this as your problem. Without knowing any more details it is more likely is that the opti was installed wrong or is defective or plug wires crossed.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:35 PM

i took the optispark off cause i didnt put it on and checked to see if i could see anything wrong..the pin was in the right groove and seemed to be ok...but when it is running it doesnt throw any codes but with the timing that far off it cracks and pops through the exhaust...i didnt check the wires before i took it off i guess i should have done that...i dont know how you could get the optispark on wrong.....
Old 04-02-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Many people get it installed wrong, though it is only supposed to go on one way. You say timing "that far off". What makes you think the timing is wrong? The computer controls the timing advance that you see on a scanner-not the opti. The computer can change the timing numerous times per second depending on load.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Could be the opti is not on right. Being a 96 car is should be easy. Why did the car go in for a new opti. Did it loose spark. Was the car running when it went in? Sounds like its getting spark now. Have you checked the rotor screws. A lot of the news ones back out. Loctite and some time can fix that.

Quick Reply: optispark