LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rear brake pad change- issues with parking brake?

Old 04-02-2014, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear brake pad change- issues with parking brake?

I looked in the shop manual and through forum threads, the manual doesn't say much and threads had conflicting info. I purchased a pad and rotor kit from a vendor here (Brakemotive) a year ago and just got to putting them on yesterday. Fronts went on no problem, the rears on the other hand..

I compressed the pistons as much as possible and its still not enough clearance for the pads (powerstop) to fit. Some threads mentioned needing a special tool because the PBR assembly piston screws back in, others said no tool needed and the e-brake needs the "pressure relieved". My e-brake doesn't work and hasn't been used in months, not really sure what to try?

Thanks.

Also, since the car is out of commission- I may just do SS lines and brake MC since I have the parts. Assuming the MC is bench bled correctly and its all installed nicely, I won't have any issues with ABS malfunctions from what I've read- correct?
Old 04-02-2014, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

6 hours and no replies, heh.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I have powerstop ceramic pads on the back of my car. They went in without any issues, dunno what's wrong with yours unless you have the wrong part.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you do not need to screw them back in. make sure the ebrake part of the brake is not stuck on, i had that problem. i was able to push it back. the calipers compress just like the fronts.

trouble on both sides or one? possible bad caliper?
Old 04-03-2014, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Just one side, the p/s side put up a fight but I was able to force it on (still felt I should've have had to). The d/s side was lacking about 4-5mm of clearance. The weather picked up today so I'll give it another shot, thanks gents.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

The little dowel that engages the parking brake was stuck keeping the piston from going in- but even when I cocked it back and compressed again it still won't go in enough..

I have a spare set of low mile calipers that I got out and tried on, no issues with those.. I guess that caliper is bad, I didn't want to get into this now, but it looks like I'm doing SS lines and MC while I'm at it

Oh and I forgot to mention that I cracked the bleeder too and still nothing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear brake pad change- issues with parking brake?