LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone know anything about stereos?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 01:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know anything about stereos?

I recently bought my car and it has an aftermarket system installed. I'm 99% sure when I bought it the rear speakers and the subwoofer which is installed in the hatch worked. Right now I'm only getting sound from the front speakers. I don't know anything about stereos and this system looks like it's a mess. I don't know where to start looking to fix this. Any ideas or information about this system that anyone can give would be appreciated. Things I can tell you: There's a 60A fuse under the hood that seems to drive the equipment in the hatch. The stock speakers in the hatch have been disconnected. A subwoofer has been installed along with an amp (at least I think it's an amp).

The rear speakers in the passenger compartment are aftermarket replacement speakers so I'm assuming they are not disconnected and should be working (again, 99% sure they were working when I bought the car). The head unit is aftermarket. When I was pulling off some trim in the hatch area, I also found a weird piece of equipment I've never seen before. I've included a pic below. There is also a mess of wires in the passenger side hatch area, under the trim. The driver's side trim seems to carry thick speaker(?) cable from the front of the car.

I've checked all fuses I can find under the hood and on the equipment in the hatch. Nothing is blown and all electrical connections seems solid. At least the ones I can see. Now for some pictures:

The amp in the hatch:

Beside the amp is mounted something else. I don't know what this is:

Another view of the two. The subwoofer is mounted in the trim just to the right of these:

This is the nest of wires that is on the passenger's side:

This piece of equipment was tucked up in the trim near that nest of wires. For scale, it's about 6" wide. I don't know what this is:

Does anyone have any information on this equipment? Is it quality stuff? What does the mystery equipment do? Any ideas as to why the rear speakers and the subwoofer aren't working? I can get more pics if needed.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:01 AM
Staging Lane

Wow.
Personally I would start from scratch. Either uninstall it yourself or have it done by someone who knows what they are doing. I am ocd when it comes to installs, and I see that none of the wires have been labeled and it is obviously a very messy install. Remove it before your cars catches fire.

The pics you have taken.
1st Amp.
2nd Power capacitator (in holland we call it also a condensator)
3rd Spaghetti
4th More spaghetti.
5th Dont know what it's called in the us, but it is used for seperating your high, mid and lows.

Excuse my english, i'm dutch.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:46 AM
Staging Lane

Last pic is the crossover to direct the high frequencies to the tweeters and the mid frequencies to the midrange/midbass speakers. Check out this website.
Bcae1.com
basic car audio and electronics .com wealth of info.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:39 AM
Staging Lane

Crossover, that's it.
I really think that even the best website in the world cant help fix this properly tough.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

yup you have an amp, capacitor. and a crossover. the capacitor is just like an extra battery helps with the lights dimming when the bass hits. i dont know how many subs you're running but the capacitor seems like a bit overkill but it doesnt hurt to have it. i would def rip it all out clean it up a little and start from scratch. also it all looks a bit old so i would test the amp to see if its still working
Old 04-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Another helpfull website.
Click
Old 04-09-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The amp looks like an older Alpine, and although the install looks a little messy, it also looks like somebody spent a fair amount of money on the components. Having said that, there is a stereo/electronics discussion section on this site, and you might get much more advice there. Or, you could contact a professional installer in your area, and hire him to provide a little "clean up" of your installation.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
The amp looks like an older Alpine, and although the install looks a little messy, it also looks like somebody spent a fair amount of money on the components. Having said that, there is a stereo/electronics discussion section on this site, and you might get much more advice there. Or, you could contact a professional installer in your area, and hire him to provide a little "clean up" of your installation.
I didn't realize there was a stereo forum. Thanks. And thanks to everyone else for the information as well.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Start over bro.. U need to rewire that whole system. Or pay to have it done professionally.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:59 AM
Staging Lane

Have you fixed it yet?
Old 07-13-2014, 07:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NL_SLI_GT
Have you fixed it yet?
No, I haven't done anything with it yet. I was planning to wait until winter when it would be parked in the garage anyway.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

The orange wire going to the crossover (the one with the knot in it) is choking your entire system. Specifically, it will destroy the gefleagle diode going to the subs. You must immediately rip it all out and send it to me!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

LOL wrong section
Old 07-14-2014, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OP Check the fuse on the amp it's self?

I'd start over too. That is one ugly mess of wires.

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about stereos?