LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

3.875" Stroke Crank Availability

Old 04-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.875" Stroke Crank Availability

I'm in the process of building a stroked LT1, and I am going to run a Callies Dragonslayer crank. Apparently, I placed my order about a day too late. Callies told me they just sold their last one, and it would be 9 weeks before the next batch would be ready. Does anyone know of where I can get this crank sooner? I havn't been able to find any stocking dealers. Anyone have one for sale?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Eagle. Be wary of what has been said about them though. I'd have it checked out to see if the crank snout, flywheel/flexplate flange and pilot hole and journals are all to spec before having it balanced.

Last edited by SS RRR; 04-09-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Eagle. Be wary of what has been said about them though. I'd have it checked out to see if the crank snout, flywheel/flexplate flange and pilot hole and journals are all to spec before having it balanced.
That's what I'd like to avoid by going with Callies. That and the fact that it's an offshore forging.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Village Troll

I didn't think Callies made a 3.87 crank anymore, but I believe those are your only two options for a 1-piece forged.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

http://ohiocrank.com/chevysb_cranks.html
Old 04-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isnt callies offshore also?
Old 04-09-2014, 09:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Some of the really higher end Callies stuff may still made in the U.S but just about everything is Over Seas for the most part with the final machine work and quality checks done over here.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:13 AM
Banned

Default Crower, but not cheap: $1,375

Crower has 'em: http://www.crower.com/crankshafts/cr...th4-holes.html

Small Block Chevrolet Enduro 3.875 Stroke Crankshaft

The Crower “Enduro” Crankshaft is designed for extreme durability and the cost conscious engine builder. It is commonly used in Pro Street, heavy nitrous and blown applications. Our proprietary premium grade USA Made 4340 "Non-Twist" Forging is the foundation for this crankshaft. This is the same forging that is use to make our Maxi-Light and Ultra-Light crankshafts. The only difference is the amount of machining and polishing time. This crankshaft features 1/8 radii, premium heat-treat processes, counter weight correct design and straight shot oiling. The Enduro comes standard with lightening holes in all rod journals. All rod & main sizes are standard unless otherwise specified. Specify rod length for proper counterweight clearance. Finish weight of this crankshaft will be 57-59 lbs dependent upon your specifications. Balancing is available for an extra fee.

U need an 1 to 2 piece seal adapter also but for high power applications a good idea: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-38315/overview/

Last edited by cardo0; 04-10-2014 at 12:59 AM. Reason: adapter
Old 04-10-2014, 07:48 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by joelster
They do not make a 1-piece 3.875, broster.

Originally Posted by cardo0
U need an 1 to 2 piece seal adapter also but for high power applications a good idea: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-38315/overview/

Why is it a good idea?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Banned

Ah, u never read the Chevy Power Manual did u? Do i have to educate u the tighter flywheel bolt circle of the 1 piece seal crank is why they developed the 1 to 2 piece seal adapter?? Yes the larger flywheel bolt pattern on the 2 piece seal cranks was found to handle more high rpm power where the single piece cranks where seeing failures in circle track racing. In fact i recall the pwr man says somewhere in the 500hp range the upgrade is needed.

Or is it that i have to defend every bit of advice i provide. No i dont have countless hours of build time or race time. But books are cheap and the information much more reliable than the faceless internet with full of arrogant hacks. I find what Chevy prints in their own book much more believable than what someone says others have told them or what "many of us" are doing or the "general consensus here is" or "i know thats true though i have no data to prove it", or "havent even done a search but all of us know that" or " it been proven with countless hours or examples and hours of use (though no proof provided)".

Can u hear me now?
cardo
Old 04-10-2014, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Or is it that i have to defend every bit of advice i provide. No i dont have countless hours of build time or race time. But books are cheap and the information much more reliable than the faceless internet with full of arrogant hacks.
Says the person posting on an internet forum.

I find what Chevy prints in their own book much more believable than what someone says others have told them or what "many of us" are doing or the "general consensus here is" or "i know thats true though i have no data to prove it", or "havent even done a search but all of us know that" or " it been proven with countless hours or examples and hours of use (though no proof provided)".
cardo
Why ask a question on a forum if you don't want the general consensus. I thought that was the point.
The following users liked this post:
headsup9550 (09-29-2022)
Old 04-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Banned

Why ask a question on a forum if you don't want the general consensus. I thought that was the point.

Well Brian, instead of using actual facts some here will use terms like "everyone", "all of us" to justify most of their methods when there are facts available to the contrary. I posted the 2 piece seal adapter because i knew its purpose and can substantiate that. Seems like with some here (most on my ignore list) require me to prove every bit of advice while they can use their "general consensus reasoning without guilt.

Brian do u see anything wrong with using a 1 to 2 piece seal adapter for a good crank? Why do i have to prove this and its usually to the same few. The same few that are on my ignore list but continue to call me out.

I dont see u as this type but dont know why u debate my complaint here and ignore my advice for an adapter. Thats called spin Brian and if u have u use spin here to look good in front of a few hacks then i really cant explain it any better and cant try to help u in the future. U are welcome to place me on your ignore list.

After reading your other posts i didnt expect this question from u,
cardo
Old 04-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

500hp and my one piece RMS crank will break?

Well, guess I am a few hundred hp above that... crap
Old 04-10-2014, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shownomercy

Don't drive around in circles and you should be ok.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Village Troll

Great googly moogly, cardo. You are a mental patient. It was a simple question.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:59 PM
Banned

When was the last time u drove it at 8,000rpm for 3 hours?

Have a nice crap,
cardo
Old 04-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Banned

Great googly moogly, cardo. You are a mental patient. It was a simple question.

You've stepped on me so many times i cant tell if its a genuine question or a stab. Maybe u need to qualify it more like cardo u are the greatest motor head and could u elaborate some more on this.

cardo
Old 04-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Village Troll

Maybe you need to get past that inferiority complex? Motor head? I'll give you mental bookworm at best. No one is talking 8,000rpm circle track motors here therefore it really isn't relevant.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No i dont have countless hours of build time or race time.
Time to shut the **** up.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear main aint the weak spot, the weak spot on a crank would be on one of the rod throws near the radius. The circle track guys use little to no harmonic balancers on the crankshaft that sets up all sorts of vibrations/harmonics crankshaft and then they break the crankshaft. They will do anything to get a lighter rotating assembly as they are on and off the throttle so many times in a race.

In terms of engine building, I would NOT try to copy anything that a dirt track or oval track guy does with their engine. Especially for a street motor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.875" Stroke Crank Availability