LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

blue smoke after idling a couple mins??

Old 04-13-2014, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blue smoke after idling a couple mins??

I have blue smoke at start up and after idling a couple mins.. motor runs great.. only thing I can find is some oil on number 7 plug.. I done compression test was the same as others. motor has around 2k on rebuild.. I wonder if it could be valve seal? heads had valve job done and spring put on but I didn't ask for new valve seals to be put in. I wonder if he didn't do that.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would start with that #7 intake seal and see if it came off the guide or is pushed up a bit. You got to mash them on there pretty good and if you don't, it isn't that uncommon to have one push up and away from the guide. If that isn't the case it could still be the seal(s). If a guy isn't careful putting them on over a valve, he can nick it going over the groove if he doesn't use the protectors. f it isn't that, then see if he knurled the guides or whether they were in spec or not - if they weren't, he probably would have called you to tell you that you needed it done, but just saying that is also a factor.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

found its valve seals.. some reasome they eat up.. found piece of one under the valve cover and the ring off it
Old 04-16-2014, 07:52 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by criticalx
found its valve seals.. some reasome they eat up.. found piece of one under the valve cover and the ring off it
It isn't just for some reason. It could be your guides are worn causing excessive play in the valves which then can mess up your seals. You need to measure the play in your valves.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have valve springs with a flat wound damper it could be broken and then it chews up the valve guide seals.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm replacing springs and seals
Old 04-16-2014, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

every damper was broken and only three seals was still in place.. rest was in pieces.. still alil smoke after new spring and seals.. think may just have a lot to burn out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: blue smoke after idling a couple mins??