LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Aftermarket Oil Pressure Gauge

Old 04-14-2014, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Oil Pressure Gauge

I am in the market for an after market oil pressure gauge, only because when warm my gauge reads 0lbs of pressure. Although I know it has 28lbs, from a reading I got from under the hood. My sanity needs at rest haha. Seeing the gauge bounce up and down then drop at the stop light makes me go nuts . So it's time to find one. I have a 1994 Z28, if any of you guys and gals out there have any tips or links about these gauges I'd love to read em'!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

I would start by replacing the sending unit so your factory gauge reads somewhat correctly.. I'm in the same boat though, about to replace mine for the second time and it would be nice to have a mechanical gauge under the hood for piece of mind.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:31 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

If you go to the track, and the gauge is mechanical they may frown if it's inside the car. If you want to put it inside the car then get an electric gauge. As stated, it could be the sending unit. It would still be a good idea to have an aftermarket gauge to verify.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by SchaefZ28
I would start by replacing the sending unit so your factory gauge reads somewhat correctly.. I'm in the same boat though, about to replace mine for the second time and it would be nice to have a mechanical gauge under the hood for piece of mind.
I have actually already replaced sending unit and it still reads goofy. Any ideas if it can be an actual mechanical problem? Or if its just the gauge telling me wrong?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

If your motor isn't making any clicking/clacking/thumping/knocking noises it's probably ok, but you need to get a mechanical gauge hooked up to it to know for sure. (sounds like you already have if you know it actually has 28 psi?) Like SS RRR said, if you are wanting to put an aftermarket gauge in the car, it should be an electric gauge since you don't want to route hot oil inside your car.. I've never installed an aftermarket gauge, so I'm no help there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Oil Pressure Gauge