LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Zero Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zero Oil Pressure

So I was driving today and noticed that my gauge read 0 oil pressure. I also have a pillar pod with another oil pressure gauge with the sensor in the auxillary port by the filter, zero there too. So I got the car home and restarted it sitting still to watch. I noticed very loud ticking. I don't think it's knocking but I'm not totally sure. Oil is full and none has sprayed everywhere under the car. Slightly rougher idle than normal. This also isn't the whole thing with braking and reading 0. It read 0 just sitting still as well. Car has a hotcam kit and boltons. Any ideas what's going on? Happy Easter to me!
Old 04-20-2014, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wallj
So I was driving today and noticed that my gauge read 0 oil pressure. I also have a pillar pod with another oil pressure gauge with the sensor in the auxillary port by the filter, zero there too. So I got the car home and restarted it sitting still to watch. I noticed very loud ticking. I don't think it's knocking but I'm not totally sure. Oil is full and none has sprayed everywhere under the car. Slightly rougher idle than normal. This also isn't the whole thing with braking and reading 0. It read 0 just sitting still as well. Car has a hotcam kit and boltons. Any ideas what's going on? Happy Easter to me!
Could be the Oil Pump Drive Gear. I had a similar problem, I was driving, it dropped to 0, light came on, and I started hearing a noise like rockers without oil on them, or metal on metal. so I pulled over, got it towed home. Then people told me to check that, I did, the gears teeth had been eaten off.

Do you have a HV oil pump?

To change the gear, pull the intake, and unbolt the little thing running into the block.

Or pickup tube could of fallen off. Just tap on the pan and see if it has something in their making noise, or get a magnet and see if it catches it and pullss it around.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For one thing stop running the engine with no oil pressure. Did you get a new oil pump drive when you did the cam change as I recommended in your hotcam thread?
Old 04-20-2014, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Your just casually driving and running a car with no oil pressure? The drive gear may have started it but you may have finished it.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Your just casually driving and running a car with no oil pressure? The drive gear may have started it but you may have finished it.
Indeed. We were lucky when ours went out and pulled over immediately. So nothing was really hurt bad.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
No I'm not driving the car around. I noticed it as I was turning into my neighborhood and let it coast home. Hasn't moved since. I'm not running the car. I don't have a check engine light or anything on either.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Teching In

It won't set a check engine light for oil pressure. If it has killed the oil pump drive gear, you will want to pull the oil pan and clean it, and clean or replace the oil pump pickup. Always drops a nasty mess of metal shards in the sump.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP -

Before you assume the lower metal gear is stripped, pull the intake and inspect the plastic upper mount - the drive might be broken at the plastic mount.

If this is the case, you may (remember I said "may") be able to remove the Oil Pump Drive from the top and replace it without pulling the oil pump. Having said that, both metal gears must be inspected for damage first.

FYI - I've replaced two; one because the actual metal drive gear was damaged, and a second because the plastic mount broke at the bolt hole. With the damaged gear, I pulled the cam and the oil pump; with the damaged plastic, I was able to replace it from the top without pulling the cam and pump - that was much easier.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2014, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Gonna be tearing into the car this weekend. Been doing some reading on these oil pump drive gears failing. Seems like a lot of horror stories. Am I likely to need a rebuild? Or can I just replace the gear and be good, once checking the oil pan of course? What should I look for?
Old 04-24-2014, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Gonna be tearing into the car this weekend. Been doing some reading on these oil pump drive gears failing. Seems like a lot of horror stories. Am I likely to need a rebuild? Or can I just replace the gear and be good, once checking the oil pan of course? What should I look for?
When mine went out, I was told to check the bearings and stuff in the pan, when I changed the pump. But, I ignored their advice. My car had 1150 miles on it when it went out, and it was only driven about 1/8th a mile when the gauge dropped. And the oil was changed at 900 miles so not to many shavings were in their.

You SHOULD pull the pan off and check the bearings and stuff. Or if the car wasn't driven but a SMALL distance once it hit 0, you can gamble like me and replace it and keep going.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Well I got a head start and pulled the gear out tonight. Few of the gears were stripped bad. So where do I go now? Should I replace the whole oil pump with the new drive gear? Also where should I get a new drive gear, just autozone or wherever? I'll be pulling the pan off tomorrow night to get the metal out. How do I know if my bearings are good or bad?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I am not mistaken hasn't there been cases of the pickup tube falling off causing this issue too?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by F0x Slaughter
If I am not mistaken hasn't there been cases of the pickup tube falling off causing this issue too?
I think you're correct but in my case the gears were definitely stripped. I took the drive gear out and like 4-5 teeth were almost flat. Also to update a little. I checked the cam with a mirror and it looks good. The oil pump itself also turns freely still so that's another positive.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let me see if I can find the link real quick.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shon Herron was making composite pump drives. I don't know if he still is.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Well I got a head start and pulled the gear out tonight. Few of the gears were stripped bad. So where do I go now? Should I replace the whole oil pump with the new drive gear? Also where should I get a new drive gear, just autozone or wherever? I'll be pulling the pan off tomorrow night to get the metal out. How do I know if my bearings are good or bad?

That was my gear. Those edges are super sharp instead of flat like they should be, it's like that half of the way, the rest it is smooth. idk why it didnt go out sooner.

This is the gear I got - Replacement Distributor Gear 19052845 This

If you have a HV pump, like I do, it was recommended to go back to stock.

On the rod bearings, I was told to check for "Scars" or grooves on them, they can take out rods and stuff if their bad.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

Finally got some pics of the damage:

And here is the cam gear, how does it look?

So looking at my drive gear I also noticed the plastic top was split. So I'm looking at gm part number gm 1103868. Sound right?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats your problem. Weight reduction just slap it back in and run it son!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

So looking at my drive gear I also noticed the plastic top was split. So I'm looking at gm part number gm 1103868. Sound right?
If it is another plastic coupler-type, then no. You should be looking at this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ar...make/chevrolet
Old 04-25-2014, 09:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

GM 1103868 is the drive gear assy-not the drive shaft.

OP, did you ever say what oil pump is installed?

Quick Reply: Zero Oil Pressure