LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help. Car not starting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help. Car not starting.

So my car isn't starting now. Stock motor 95 Z28. I just replaced the head gaskets. When reassembling, I let the motor turn over with the valve covers off to make sure all the lifters were in the right position and oil was flowing. All that was fine. Then plugged in all the wires and put new plugs in the car and fired it up. Started up immediately and ran fine, (minus idling extremely fast due to the various vacuum leaks from lines not put back into place. Shut it down after a couple minutes and put the valve covers back on and put everything else back on. Now it won't start. I'm not getting spark at the plugs and it is turning over. I replaced the ignition module and the coil (with parts from O'reillys…) but it still won't spark. I replaced the opti with an actual AC Delco one just last year so I don't think that is the problem. Any ideas??
Old 05-03-2014, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Double check all your ignition connections are plugged into their respective places. Like the one to the opti behind the water pump towards the passenger side. Something must have come loose in the reassembly of the valve covers.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So turns out that after firing the car up the first time, the battery had not been disconnected and we grounded out on the stud that holds the ignition control module and coil on the block. I've pretty well eliminated all possibilities except for the ecm getting fried. So my question is, can I plug in an ecm from a different car and start it up without issue? And secondarily, does it make a difference if that extra ecm is from a 94 LT1 caprice rather than from another 95 camaro?

Quick Reply: Need help. Car not starting.