LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Too much crankcase pressure. Your choice of breather with catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Too much crankcase pressure. Your choice of breather with catch can?

I'm under the assumption that the stock PCV system isn't up to the task of keeping excessive crankcase pressure from pushing oil out of the front damper seal and rear seal. There is way too much oil all over the bottom of the engine.
So I want to experiment with a passenger side breather with a catch can to see if this alleviates the problem.

So since I have a 1994 intake with the 180 degree PCV system the only thing I have to do is plug this off. Unless I'm missing something? (Not my intake, just using for reference.)

The next question. What is your choice of breather with a catch can that will fit in the stock passenger oil fill?
Old 05-06-2014, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny you bring this up. My PCV Valve quit on me today, I guess it's been slowly going out. Today it decided to start pushing my oil out the top of the dipstick tube at 5500+rpms. Replaced PCV valve good to go again.

But it got me thinking if the crankcase pressure is part of the problem with the timing cover seals. Add in the wear on our crank hubs and I started thinking about a breather too. Lol.

Let me know how this works out for you I'm interested. I'm gonna keep the PCV valve, I wonder if a breather would help at all though?

What has me confused is the breather on our engines go to the throttle body, but it doesn't seem to do anything. There's no vacuum pulling on that hose. ????
Old 05-06-2014, 02:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

a breather on just the passenger valve cover is not gonna cut it if you are really pushing that much oil
Old 05-06-2014, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hrcslam
What has me confused is the breather on our engines go to the throttle body, but it doesn't seem to do anything. There's no vacuum pulling on that hose. ????
The hose from the passenger side valve cover to TB provides filtered and metered air into the engine for the pcv sys. It serves the same function as the hose from valve cover to air cleaner for the pcv in the old carbureted days.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by guppymech
The hose from the passenger side valve cover to TB provides filtered and metered air into the engine for the pcv sys. It serves the same function as the hose from valve cover to air cleaner for the pcv in the old carbureted days.
Ahh. Makes sense.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:05 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Breathers on valve covers, and remove the PCV valve to run a hose from that port to a puke tank.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or run a evac system...
Old 05-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Get a leakdown done to make sure it's not excessive. The stock PCV system should be just fine. Putting on a breather may just end up pushing oil all over the top of your engine.

Quick Reply: Too much crankcase pressure. Your choice of breather with catch can?