LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New here have some questions.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here have some questions.

So I just bought a 94 firebird with 90k on it and it definantly needs some TLC. I flushed the coolant system and am running techron fuel cleaner in it to clean the injectors.

Planning to get spark plugs, wires doing a good TB cleaning, changing the fuel filter, thermostat, flushing the brake fluid and power steering fluid.

Is there any brand of spark plugs that I should be looking at. Usually I go with ACDelco for GM vehicles but I wasn't sure if there was a different brand that was better. For wires I was just going to go with whatever the cheapest brand is that comes with a lifetime warranty.

I also wanted to change the diff fluid but I'm not sure if I have a torsen or auburn style rear end and from what I have read I shouldn't use limited slip fluid in one and I should in the other.

Thanks for any help. If there is anything else that I should change please let me know
Old 05-05-2014, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

NGK TR55 plugs, and just use the gear oil with the limited slip additive or buy the additive separately
Old 05-05-2014, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Should be an auburn diff with clutches and it will need the additive.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:40 PM

Ok. Thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated.

Is there anything else that I should be changing or checking since the car is new to me?

The opti-spark looks like it is the original. Is this something that should be changed out or should I wait until it breaks. I'd rather not be left stranded somewhere or is it something that usually slowly shows symptoms and doesn't go snap-phoney all at once?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Its hard to say. Some of the new units that dont use the mitsubishi optical sensor are junk and you might as well be riding around with a 200K mile opti at that point. Id say leave it for now as long you dont see any coolant stains where it looks like the water pump has been leaking on to the opti. The bad thing about an opti failing is its a slippery slope. Symptoms #1 and #2 of a failed opti are cut off and wont restart and cut off and starts back up but dies soon after. It can definitely be one of those things that can leave you on the side of the road. Im not exactly sure how id handle it but im sure some of these guys who know more than I do will chime in with some of their knowledge/past experiences.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

IMHO, don't buy the "cheapest" plug wires you can find. Magnacore, MSD, Taylor are good wires.

If the Opti is unknown mileage it is just like any regular distributor with a cap & rotor, those are wear items. MSD makes a good cap/rotor kit you can get. Inspect the inside of opti for any signs of oil or coolant. Use loc-tite on rotor screws

use dialectic grease on both plug wire ends

look in the TB, if all coked up get a can of "TB cleaner" and clean it (do this and run car for a short period before you change oil.)

inspect drive belt, it is also a good idea to replace belt tensioner if it is original

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New here have some questions.