LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Brake lights

Old 05-14-2014, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake lights

I'm kinda stumped more like frustration has taken and cant think. I have all tail light, reverse, blinkers but only the third brake light comes on when hitting the pedal. Bulbs are all good. I would think if it was the brake switch I wouldn't have the third light but I do. Its not the column switch as I have blinkers. any ideas?
Old 05-14-2014, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The 94's have a dual pole brake switch, the yellow wire powers the third brake lamp and signals the cruise. The light blue wire goes to the turn signal switch to power the brake lights. Its still possible the turn signal switch could be at fault...more specifically the hazard switch section internally. Also the brake lamps and hazards are on their own fuse...#6 in the IP fuse block.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
The 94's have a dual pole brake switch, the yellow wire powers the third brake lamp and signals the cruise. The light blue wire goes to the turn signal switch to power the brake lights. Its still possible the turn signal switch could be at fault...more specifically the hazard switch section internally. Also the brake lamps and hazards are on their own fuse...#6 in the IP fuse block.
Thanks.. I have two possible causes to check then. The brake switch or turn signal.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Have hazards., fuses are all good, have turn signals. Im thinking its the brake switch. What do you think Kevin. Thanks again
Old 05-16-2014, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems a very good possibility. You could check the light blue wire for B+ when the switch changes state at the brake switch or use a paper clip and jump the yellow to the light blue at the back of the brake switch connector. If the brake lights work replace the pedal switch, if not you'll need to find where its being lost.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Sounds like the brake light switch on your pedal. Not to hard to remove
Old 05-19-2014, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

The exact same problem happened to me. It turned out to be a loose connection. I noticed after a while that the brake lights would work when I adjusted the steering wheel in a certain direction. Follow the wiring starting from the brake switch as far as possible and look for visible copper. It was just a matter of pushing a wire slightly further into a pigtail connector. I'm guessing the wire got yanked just enough somehow from my foot. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake lights