LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil leak from oil pressure switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak from oil pressure switch

97 Z28 I noticed my oil pressure dropped a little bit and the gauge wa jumping a bit. when I get to the store I noticed a rainbow trail behind the car (it was Raining) so I parked it until I could look at it. today I get it up in the air seen a decent size puddle towards the back of the motor so im thinking rear main seal. I get under there and pull the cover off the tranny its all bone dry but the whole back/side of the block is covered. it looks like its coming from the oil pressure switch its covered in oil with drops hanging off of it. its not coming from the back of the intake my question is, before I pull the intake off is this a common problem and theres a 45* fitting the switch screws into what size fitting is that so I can have a new one before I take it all apart
Old 05-18-2014, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mab6680
97 Z28 I noticed my oil pressure dropped a little bit and the gauge wa jumping a bit. when I get to the store I noticed a rainbow trail behind the car (it was Raining) so I parked it until I could look at it. today I get it up in the air seen a decent size puddle towards the back of the motor so im thinking rear main seal. I get under there and pull the cover off the tranny its all bone dry but the whole back/side of the block is covered. it looks like its coming from the oil pressure switch its covered in oil with drops hanging off of it. its not coming from the back of the intake my question is, before I pull the intake off is this a common problem and theres a 45* fitting the switch screws into what size fitting is that so I can have a new one before I take it all apart
I would hope you could replace the sending unit without removing the intake.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Replacing the oil pressure sensor is relatively easy. Use a ratchet, extension and O/P socket and aim from the direction of the brake booster toward the sensor. Use thread sealant on the threads.

http://shbox.com/1/op_sensor.jpg

http://shbox.com/1/egr1.jpg
Old 05-19-2014, 06:20 AM
On The Tree

yes i can and have changed the sensor without taking the intake off...lol...my concern is the origanal block cracked in that area when it had about 20k on it that time it leaked coolant and was changed under warrenty. my thoughts on taking the intake off is I'm still not sure if its the switch, the fitting the switch goes into, or the block. i've had the intake off a few times over the years and its not what i would call a hard job to do its even easier now that i removed all the emmissions crap off of it...lol...that is why i asked if the oil pressure switch leaking massive amounts of oil is common.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I wouldn't say it is common for it to leak on its own.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Thank as always

Quick Reply: oil leak from oil pressure switch