LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 trans am ignition system not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 trans am ignition system not working

I replaced opti,plugs wires,coil,icm no spark not even at the coil checked the power to the harnesses and all is good checked ignition fuses all is ok no spark no start just cranks and cranks
Had my car running for about a week after I replaced my opti and wires and it ran good for 1 week and then just started randomly stalling and it got worse and worse it went from stalling to hard to start situations then it stoped starting in general so I replaced the coil and icm and still nothing...any ideas please leave them with me

thank you
Old 05-24-2014, 02:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Do this testing.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:12 PM

Is it possible my opti spark faild witch is why I get no spark at the coil....ny opti has coolant on it could this be a cause of my new part failing
Old 05-27-2014, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by shbox
I preformed the test and found that while testing the harness that gose to the opti (opti side out) I tested it and is at
A.and B tested 3.77v
and C tested 11.97
a and b should be at 5 and c should match my battery's. Voltage
where do I go from here?
Old 05-27-2014, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wet opti is a guaranteed way to fail the optical sensor contained within. Likely you'll have to replace it with a new unit. It's probably a good idea to fix the coolant leak up top whether it be the thermostat housing or water pump itself. It relatively cheap insurance to just replace the entire water pump.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:57 AM

Any other input in going to start turning wrenches on friday
Old 05-28-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Any Check Engline Light? Codes?

The coil is triggered by the optical pickup in the Optispark. If that is bad, then the coil won't fire. I would seriously consider when you have it taken apart to toss a new Optispark on there and see if it fires.

I seriously believe your wet Opti is the telltale sign here. While you dive into it. I would strongly recommend figuring out what is causing it to get wet in the first place or you'll be doing it all over again in about another week.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
Any Check Engline Light? Codes?

The coil is triggered by the optical pickup in the Optispark. If that is bad, then the coil won't fire. I would seriously consider when you have it taken apart to toss a new Optispark on there and see if it fires.

I seriously believe your wet Opti is the telltale sign here. While you dive into it. I would strongly recommend figuring out what is causing it to get wet in the first place or you'll be doing it all over again in about another week.
my guess is when my buddy was putting my optispark in about a month ago he put the water pump back on and then he was bleeding the cooling system and changed the thermostat, the location gm chose for this thing is incredibly retarded, I'll replace the opti and harness this weekend should I change my water pump gasket? Or just reuse it
Old 05-29-2014, 06:27 AM

Also there is no SES light on and I don't have or can find a scanner to work with this car
Old 05-29-2014, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Do a search for "how to flash obi 1 codes on dash". You can jumper two of the pins in the ALDL connector and it will flash the codes on the dash. Not sure if it will work though if you aren't showing an SES light. It's easy enough to try though.

It's cheap enough insurance to just use a new WP gasket altogether.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
Do a search for "how to flash obi 1 codes on dash". You can jumper two of the pins in the ALDL connector and it will flash the codes on the dash. Not sure if it will work though if you aren't showing an SES light. It's easy enough to try though.

It's cheap enough insurance to just use a new WP gasket altogether.
If his light doesn't light up, it is going to be hard to see a code.

He can't do it, anyway, because he has a 1995. The last year you could flash codes on an f-body was 1993.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:09 PM

Ok I had a good tech check the opti, He said nothing comes out of the unit testing it at the opti harness so I got my new one today with a new wire harness
let the fun begin
Old 05-31-2014, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Let us know what happens
Old 06-01-2014, 08:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

One time I had a female pin in the opti harness get pushed too deep in the weatherpak connector and the harness would probe good but the opti wasn't making contact. Took two days to find....................................
Old 06-01-2014, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
One time I had a female pin in the opti harness get pushed too deep in the weatherpak connector and the harness would probe good but the opti wasn't making contact. Took two days to find....................................
The connecter of the opti harness that plugged into the opti was cracked so it never had a tight connection witch in my case I think eventually it wiggled loose and it fried my brand new opti (Optispazzm)
Old 06-01-2014, 10:53 PM

I can't wait to post back and hopefully tell everybody the war is ended, I got the car ripped apart and I have my brand new opti now I just have to wait for my new harness to come in later this week! In the mean time I think going going to clean up some grounds while its on the lift

Quick Reply: 95 trans am ignition system not working