LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Recommended build list

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended build list

I recently had a head gasket fail and want to build up my motor. I already spec'd out AI 200cc head package, ported intake and going to with their cam depending on my route with my build. I was planning on arp rod bolts that I have already but starting thinking if I have to disassemble and resize the stock rods, pistons and rods might be an option too. My motor has less then 80000 very well maintained lt1 with comp 503. I figured since I will be pulling the heads might as well beef up the motor. I'm thinking I don't need a bore but maybe a light hone and run forged flat tops bump the compression and upgrade the rods and do bearings. Question is what are you guys running for pistons and rods and does the stock crank hold up. I don't plan forced induction or n02. Looking for over >11 to 1 comp and wAnt to spin to 7000 if I want.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Banned

With only 80k mi i recommend just install better heads and find a rebuildable core to build a strong bottom end. U can have the heads flat milled and run a iron head LT1 shim gasket to push up the compression and quench. That way u can leave the engine in the car and the added compression with better heads will help the c503 do a better job.

Just my 2 cents is its more fun to have a car to drive while u build the next engine to your specification. Head swap takes just a weekend. And u can always just build a short block and swap on the heads when ready.

One caution is if u flat mill the heads u will need to mill the intake to get it to fit again.

Good luck,
cardo
Old 06-09-2014, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Stock bottom can handle 7k? Talked to ai and they say 6-8 weeks turn around so I got some time. If I'm spending +2500 in headwork I'm not sticking with an off the shelf grind. I just was wondering if some people were able to run new pistons in a stock bore (unless when I pull the heads I see more damage)
Old 06-10-2014, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Many companies make 4.000 bore pistons. you need to check your bores though. You might need just a hone, but hey who knows unless you check. A stock rotating assembly can take 7k if rod bolts are changed. The chance of snapping a wrist pin or even pulling it out of the stock piston increases greatly at 7k. I have always been a fan of new rod/piston combo and rebalance for anyone who is planning on pushing more power.

Quick Reply: Recommended build list