LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Code 26??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code 26??

I posted this on another site and Im just doing a copy/paste. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Ok, so I almost thought this would go seamlessly, but no such luck I guess... As you guys know, I replaced the opti, ac compressor yada,yada....

Tonight I got to start it up. Heat on, fan on high. First start it fired up and ran rough due to me having the air intake assembly off...just kind of "hunted" for an idle speed which I suspected would happen under the circumstance. I left the air intake assy off so I could easily look for leaks while still filling the coolant.

Once I got the coolant topped off, I put the rad cap on and installed the air intake assy. She seemed to settle down and run smooth. Next thing I know, the fans come on and I get the SES light.

I pulled the codes and got a 26. I looked around and found the hose from the air pump to the nipple on the air intake was left off by yours truly... Ok, cool, put it back on, disconnected the battery to clear the 26.

Start it back up and it ran flwlessly....really, really smooth. I figured I got it! Not so fast!!! The fans came on again, and boom, SES lites up. Only this time, after about 40 seconds, the car just dies like someone turned the key off in an instant.

This happened again and again... each time I cleared the code and each time it returns and does the same thing.

I may be crazy, but the last time I tried it, I had turned the heat off before starting it. It ran perfectly, I mean perfectly...then I turned the heat back on, to "floor" . In 20 seconds or so, SES light, then she shut down again. Code 26 again. I did observe the low coolant light on at this point, but the engine is definately not getting hot.

Ive looked everything over a few times and nothing is unplugged or not fastened. Im not sure whats going on here....Is there a connection between the heat and the engine shutting down and the code 26???

I did alot of cleaning in the engine bay while everything was apart, and rinsed with water from a gallon jug. Of course the battery was disconnected...but Im sure water got on the air pump...could that have fried it? Its been at least 7-10 days since I did that.

help...Im so close to it running better than it has ever run.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Code 26 is for the EVAP purge valve circuit, not the AIR. It could be other things if you have a 93, but you provide no car info, so there is no way to know.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
Code 26 is for the EVAP purge valve circuit, not the AIR. It could be other things if you have a 93, but you provide no car info, so there is no way to know.
Damn, sorry..its a 93. I replaced the evap purge solenoid and it stopped stalling out. I do have trouble starting it sometimes. Fuel psi is good,(recent GM fuel pump) new sensors everywhere..TPS, MAP,OIL,ICM & coil ETC...

New Opti MSD, new plug wires.. recent reseal of intake...

Quick Reply: Code 26??