LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 Lt1 M6 rear end oil???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default 96 Lt1 M6 rear end oil???

96 Lt1 M6

I was wondering which oil to use in my rear end, I was thinking of going with synthetic but not sure if it is advised? Do I need to use GM additive?

I heard with royal purple that you don't need the additive? Lots of questions!

Also I hear a slight whining from the rear end in six gear. Would synthetic help that?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2 quarts of non synthetic and a bottle of GM diff. Additive.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple Poncho
Maybe......

GM, through SLP, offered a full synthetic oil package, on the SS/Firehawk models they did the conversions on. This included the rear end lube. I have a '96 Z-28 that I purchased brand new. I changed the rear end oil twice, on an annual basis, the first two years I had the car. On the third year, I filled the rear end with Valvoline syn gear oil and a bottle of the Positraction additive. It's been in there for 15 years now, without issue.

My only concern with adding syn oil to an older car, is based on what a Tech Rep for one of the oil companies told me about 16-17 years ago. He said that if a rear end has had "dino" oil in it for more than 5-6 years, the seals have "acclimated" to it, and switching it to syn oil might cause leaks, due to the different chemical make up of the syn oil. Take that for what it's worth...
Old 06-16-2014, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple Poncho
Or ford additive if you dont want to get raped by gm's prices.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:42 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I like the Lucas non-synthetic gear lube. And a bottle of Redline posi modifier.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Walmart brand conventional 80w90 and a bottle of equatorque from the Pep Boys next door. My 10 bolt and I weren't friends.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a full synthetic 75w-140 that either has friction modifier in it, or add the modifier. Why full synth? Quite simply because it does a better job at lubrication, in any and all conditions. It's more temperature stable (especially with a broad viscosity index), it's less affected by oxidation, it has greater shear strength, it holds it's viscosity over time. There are zero negatives.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Use a full synthetic 75w-140 that either has friction modifier in it, or add the modifier. Why full synth? Quite simply because it does a better job at lubrication, in any and all conditions. It's more temperature stable (especially with a broad viscosity index), it's less affected by oxidation, it has greater shear strength, it holds it's viscosity over time. There are zero negatives.
This.

Synthetic beats conventional in pretty much every way, except for price. Royal Purple makes a good gear oil. Is it the best? That's a matter of opinion and debate. I would say no. But it's good gear lube. Much like motor oil, any gear lube, conventional or synthetic, will get the job done if changed out regularly.

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
GM, through SLP, offered a full synthetic oil package, on the SS/Firehawk models they did the conversions on. This included the rear end lube. I have a '96 Z-28 that I purchased brand new. I changed the rear end oil twice, on an annual basis, the first two years I had the car. On the third year, I filled the rear end with Valvoline syn gear oil and a bottle of the Positraction additive. It's been in there for 15 years now, without issue.

My only concern with adding syn oil to an older car, is based on what a Tech Rep for one of the oil companies told me about 16-17 years ago. He said that if a rear end has had "dino" oil in it for more than 5-6 years, the seals have "acclimated" to it, and switching it to syn oil might cause leaks, due to the different chemical make up of the syn oil. Take that for what it's worth...
Pretty sure in '96 & '97, SLP offered an optional Torsen dif in the SS and Firehawk... which came with the upgrade to synthetic gear lube.

Switching to synthetic after running conventional for so long can lead to leaks, but it has nothing to do with the seals acclimating to the conventional. The seals have long since developed the leaks, but the sludge left behind by conventional clogs the holes. After switching to synthetic, the sludge gets cleaned out and reveals the leaks that were already there. Same thing can happen in engines.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:51 AM

I filled the rear end with Valvoline syn gear oil and a bottle of the Positraction additive.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I put ground up hopes and dreams in my ten bolt.....
Old 06-17-2014, 08:25 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Some differential manufacturers specify to NOT use a synthetic gear oil.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsS...ials/index.htm

While I'm sure we all agree that synthetic lubricants have advantages over petroleum based lubricants (as posted above) the stresses and harsh environment of an engine are far greater than that of a rear end. The rear end is one area that the advantages of a synthetic lubricant are simply not needed.

Use what you think is best for your application but be aware that the above post about changing to a synthetic may cause seals to leak is accurate.

This is a topic that pops up every year or so.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Auburn as well specifies NOT to use synthetic lube. Ford friction modifier works good and is way less expensive than GM, Summit Racing has it.
http://aftermarket.auburngear.com/ma..._and_warranty/
Old 06-17-2014, 10:03 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

An interesting fact is that friction modifiers used to be made from whale oil, it's the long alkyl chains that make it work. That's why when opening some rear ends the fluid stinks.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I like the Lucas non-synthetic gear lube. And a bottle of Redline posi modifier.
Everything Lucas makes is complete garbage.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:37 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

While I'd agree their synthetic oil stabilizer is crap and should be pulled off the market, I do believe the rest of their products are pretty decent. I've never heard anything anywhere that it's all garbage.

If you have some info or facts about this, please share them so we can all be a bit more educated. If Lucas products are all in fact garbage, we should know why.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheelman916
....Pretty sure in '96 & '97, SLP offered an optional Torsen dif in the SS and Firehawk... which came with the upgrade to synthetic gear lube.

Switching to synthetic after running conventional for so long can lead to leaks, but it has nothing to do with the seals acclimating to the conventional. The seals have long since developed the leaks, but the sludge left behind by conventional clogs the holes. After switching to synthetic, the sludge gets cleaned out and reveals the leaks that were already there. Same thing can happen in engines.
Yes, SLP did offer the Torsen differential as an option, however, I don't think the syn gear oil option was offered just for that diff.

With respect to the comments about seal compatibility, I'm simply restating what I was told by the oil company's tech rep....
Old 06-19-2014, 08:44 PM
8 Second Club

I don't ever use synthetic for the rear.

Quick Reply: 96 Lt1 M6 rear end oil???