LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bad Headgasket leading to Cam swap. Need your input.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Headgasket leading to Cam swap. Need your input.

Hey guys, I have a 1996 WS6 Ram Air Trans Am.
105k miles, M6, pacesetter shorties, into a garbage exhaust.

I have new Speed Engineering LT with an ORY, leading to an E-cutout and a Hooker catback.

Bad news is I have a bad headgasket so I am pulling the engine and replacing the gaskets and replacing my valve seals and while I'm there I am going to replace the valve springs, rockers, cam, pushrods, etc.

It is a daily driver and the 3.42 gears are going to stay, I also want to maintain drivability and fuel economy...ish.

1. Looking at Hotcam (not the kit) for the price $210 Jegs. Need suggestions on Valve springs, rockers, pushrods, etc.

2. Looking at Bullet VS 574 springs for the LS6, but I'd like feedback on these. Another option is Bullet VS 2700.

3. Roller Rockers, want to avoid the GMPP 1.6rr but want to stay affordable.

4. Pushrods...HELP!!

5. Lifters, I am planning on going with the LS7s.

I will also be replacing my waterpump, opti, clutch, plugs, wires, timing chain, and gaskets. So I need to keep this cam swap fairly affordable.

ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=christian.117;18286103]

1. Looking at Hotcam (not the kit) for the price $210 Jegs. Need suggestions on Valve springs, rockers, pushrods, etc.

Here we go...
Old 06-24-2014, 06:46 AM
Teching In

I am more than willing to consider other cams. I was looking at the Lingenfelter LPE 211/219 or the Crane 227 but both cost more. $350 and $450+, respectively.
The Hotcam is old but proven and sturdy, I just don't trust the rest of the components that come with the kit.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I totally understand, back in the day when I bought my 95 I went with the hotcam, I had the Hotcam Kit, bolt ons, stall ran 12.6's all day. But again back then there weren't many choices, Its just when someone says hot cam, most will come in and bash that cam, of course they arent the ones that are forking out the cash. Look around, sometimes you can find good deals on a used cam, Roller cam do not wear like flat tappet, It would be better if you actually knew the person that was selling the cam..I knew of a kid that built his motor on used parts, cams, rockers, headers ect, Ran very good for about 1/3 of the price.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing wrong with the Hotcam for your setup. You won't set the world on fire, but it's a nice upgrade from stock. Degree it at 107 ICL as opposed to the "drop-in" 109 value and you'll have a better lowend and overall powerband.

GMPP RR's are fine. Why don't you want to use them?

Put it back together with .026" headgaskets.

Stock pushrods are good enough (if the length checks out okay with the new cam/rocker lift profile).

At only 105k miles, I'd re-use your lifters if they exhibit no visible damage and the rollers are dead-smooth. Do not try to clean them with solvent; leave the oil in them! Lifters from the LT1/LT4 era haven't had the unexplained failures like a few LS7 lifters have.

Here's another option for springs:
http://www.alexsparts.com/lt1-valve-...rs-locks-cups/
The Hotcam isn't very demanding on the springs/valvetrain. But the GM LT4 springs are borderline; I wouldn't trust them.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by christian.117
I am more than willing to consider other cams. I was looking at the Lingenfelter LPE 211/219 or the Crane 227 but both cost more. $350 and $450+, respectively.
The Hotcam is old but proven and sturdy, I just don't trust the rest of the components that come with the kit.
Originally Posted by moehorsepower
I totally understand, back in the day when I bought my 95 I went with the hotcam, I had the Hotcam Kit, bolt ons, stall ran 12.6's all day. But again back then there weren't many choices, Its just when someone says hot cam, most will come in and bash that cam, of course they arent the ones that are forking out the cash. Look around, sometimes you can find good deals on a used cam, Roller cam do not wear like flat tappet, It would be better if you actually knew the person that was selling the cam..I knew of a kid that built his motor on used parts, cams, rockers, headers ect, Ran very good for about 1/3 of the price.
Christian, I have a used Comp Cam 230/236 @ .050", .544"/.555" lift (w/1.6 rockers), 112 LSA cam with less than 8,000 miles on it that looks ...... perfect. If you want that cam for the $210 they are asking for the new Hot Cam ...... let me know.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

given the effort it takes to do a cam swap and of the choices OP listed...My $02 is the LPE 211/219 over the Hot cam

The Alex spring kit, keep existing lifters if they look good. thicker wall (.080 Trick flo) hardened PR (most likely still 7.200" length but confirm with PR check tool) with ISKY adjustable guide plates , Pro or Ultra Mag 1:6 RR NSA
Old 06-29-2014, 01:09 AM
Teching In

Hey, thanks for the reply guys. I've been away from my tablet for a couple days.

So NSA Roller rockers seem to be preferred over SA RRs for power but I don't understand the install of the NSA ones. Do I have to weld in the guide plates?
Will SA work well? They seem simpler.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI - Scorpion makes nice 1.6 ratio SA rockers for our engines.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad Headgasket leading to Cam swap. Need your input.