LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

N.O.S fuel line problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N.O.S fuel line problem

Hey guys, I just installed N.O.S nitrous dry kit on my camaro and it came with an inline fuel pump so I had my dad's friend put it on and sprayed it about two to three times and the fourth time it shredded all three of my fuel lines up by my motor and it was probably too much fuel pressure should I remove the inline fuel pump and would it be enough for the pump in the tank to handle nitrous and the fuel or do I need to inline pump for the bigger shot of nitrous, any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Old 06-27-2014, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WHTLTN2
the fourth time it shredded all three of my fuel lines up by my motor
Ive never heard of this before. What kind of fuel lines were you using?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:30 AM
Staging Lane

They were the stock fuel lines that went from the gas tank to the engine and I put the pump on the drivers side backseat and put rubber gas lines running it through to the nitrous and I think that's why they discontinued the kit that had the inline pump in it and what my dad wants to know if its safe to run nitrous with the fuel pump that's in the gas tank.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well #1, a dry nitrous kit doesn't use fuel. It relies on your injectors to add the additional fuel. #2 adding another pump is only adding volume, the regulator is still going to regulate a certain amount of fuel so you aren't gaining anything. The stock injectors should handle a 50 shot I believe.

Also, how the hell are you shredding the 3 lines under the hood? One is fuel supply, fuel return, and the other is for the EVAP. The only one that can possibly do that is the fuel supply from way too much pressure.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

I got the one that sprays in the throttle body lol but yeah I think it was the fuel line delivery. I'm spraying 150 shot, will that be enough for the tank pump to handle.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:41 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by WHTLTN2
I got the one that sprays in the throttle body lol but yeah I think it was the fuel line delivery. I'm spraying 150 shot, will that be enough for the tank pump to handle.
Its a dry kit, so fuel pump is not really a factor here.

You are relying on stock injectors and MAF to adjust for the added oxygen. They can only flow so much, so I would say no, a 150 dry shot is prob not the best of ideas.

But, IDK bottle stuff.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dry kits don't spray fuel with the nitrous. Yes they spray before the MAF. The MAF detects the added air and compensates. You could run out of fuel pump doing this but I would imagine you would run out of injector first maybe not though depending on the AFR the tune is shooting for. If you are spraying into the TB and not before the MAF you have some problems. If you are spraying a 150 dry kit and don't know these things stay away from a motor. You are probably spraying a wet kit.... but hey what do I know.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah i feel like you need to pull that kit off and do some nitrous reading or you're gonna blow that thing up. A 150 Dry is sketchy on stock fuel. I'm also guessing not an ounce of timing is being pulled?
Old 06-27-2014, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Many issues come to mind IMMEDIATELY with this thread, again as its been said before, why is there an external fuel pump contained with the kit? That doesn't make sense with a dry kit. 150 shot on stock injectors, wet or dry, TOO much. 150 shot with no PCM tune? WTF? You looking to detonate this thing on purpose? Spraying post MAF? Lets slam an unmetered cold *** shot of dense oxygen in each cylinder with NO increase in fuel (pcm doesn't see it to account for it) and NO timing correction? OUCH! I'd love to see the AFR on this setup at the hit. I don't think it will last much beyond that.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

The inline pump came with the kit and I think the major factor of it is that the fuel lines are stock from 1995 and have never been changed so it just might have been old and split or had a pin hole size leak. I'm just throwing out ideas as what it might be.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:51 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by kris72079
Many issues come to mind IMMEDIATELY with this thread, again as its been said before, why is there an external fuel pump contained with the kit? That doesn't make sense with a dry kit.
It makes perfect sense. A dry shot relys on the injectors to compensate for the amount of nitrous sprayed into the engine, therefore an external pump may be necessary depending on the size of the shot. How it is configured is completely up to the user.
Spraying post MAF? Lets slam an unmetered cold *** shot of dense oxygen in each cylinder with NO increase in fuel (pcm doesn't see it to account for it) and NO timing correction? OUCH! I'd love to see the AFR on this setup at the hit. I don't think it will last much beyond that.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, but I have never seen N20 nozzles set up pre MAF? Pretty sure that would destroy it.

Last edited by SS RRR; 06-28-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dry shots are ran a couple of ways. The pcm/ecu has to be told that it is receiving extra oxygen. This is either done by the putting the nozzle pre MAF or by a switch in the tune activated by a trigger of some sort that tells the computer to add X amount of extra fuel.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
Dry shots are ran a couple of ways. The pcm/ecu has to be told that it is receiving extra oxygen. This is either done by the putting the nozzle pre MAF or by a switch in the tune activated by a trigger of some sort that tells the computer to add X amount of extra fuel.
SS RRR - all photos provided for example are wet kits. One plate, one nozzle, and one direct port.

^^^this is what I was talking about. I run a wet kit, therefore the kit makes the necessary fueling correction via the fuel solenoid and appropriate jet. Having no experience with the dry kits, it was my understanding that they used the MAF data to make fueling corrections. I've never seen the latter typr setup, but again, no experience with the dry kits.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

SS RRR- The first picture with it shooting in from the intake elbow is exactly what my setup is.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah so you have a wet kit. Some have believed that the stock pump can supply enough for a 150 shot and actually do it but it isn't advised. The best bet is the install a walbro 255lph in-tank pump to supply enough fuel. Also how much timing are you pulling? Also has you car been tuned before hand? Any other mods that you might have would be helpful for as much advice as I/we can give... LT's would be very beneficial.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

I got the inline pump and I got stock manifolds. I have moroso cai, and magnaflow catback, I was going to pull timing that specific day then I was tempted to spray it one last time then it exploded the lines lol, it hasn't been tuned before. So you think the restrictive stock manifolds could be one of the reasons for the backfires and too much fuel pressure causing it to explode the fuel lines?
Old 06-28-2014, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

The fuel line shouldn't have burst... That makes me ponder a bit. The lines are rated for a bit more pressure than the two pumps should have been able to produce.

The long tube headers will move the higher volume of exhaust caused by the nitrous mix out of the cylinders more quickly and make it produce a bit more power.

You should always pull timing when spraying nitrous. If it had been tuned before more timing would have needed to be pulled.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

didn't read the whole thing so this may have been covered...LTx kits do not use the MAF to add fuel for a dry kit....they increase fuel pressure to force more fuel through the injector. This is why your 20 year old fuel lines said "I quit"....I have seen upwards of 100psi of fuel pressure on LTx dry kits

This is also why I say DO NOT RUN A DRY KIT ON THE LTx
Old 06-29-2014, 12:18 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by kris72079
SS RRR - all photos provided for example are wet kits. One plate, one nozzle, and one direct port.
Yeah, honestly I don't think I've ever seen a dry kit installed on a LT1. I don't know **** about N20, but every one LT1 owner I've encountered has always used a wet kit.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chopstix
didn't read the whole thing so this may have been covered...LTx kits do not use the MAF to add fuel for a dry kit....they increase fuel pressure to force more fuel through the injector. This is why your 20 year old fuel lines said "I quit"....I have seen upwards of 100psi of fuel pressure on LTx dry kits

This is also why I say DO NOT RUN A DRY KIT ON THE LTx
Originally Posted by SS RRR
Yeah, honestly I don't think I've ever seen a dry kit installed on a LT1. I don't know **** about N20, but every one LT1 owner I've encountered has always used a wet kit.
SS RRR, Chopstix has educated at least us both on the LTx method of dry. Doesn't sound like a great method. Although our PCMs are barely more intelligent than the original Nintendo, (if sprayed pre-MAF) I still would trust it more than the method if intentionally overpowering the injector with boosted pressure. Another +1 for the wet kit setup is that I can tweak my tune by just swapping fuel jets based on my wideband readings and spark plug appearance.

Quick Reply: N.O.S fuel line problem