LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti Spark Choices

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti Spark Choices

Need to pick up an Optispark for a 94 Camaro. Got two bad out of the box cardone autozone ones (indexed wrong on the last one). Was about to order a Delphi but it seems like they aren't built anymore with the Mitsu sensor. Is there any source of ones with the correct sensor. I know this is a hot topic with buy "OEM" but it doesn't seem like that is an option anymore. Otherwise it seems my options are down to Petris vented or just get the Delphi. Thoughts? Links? Comments?

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

AC Delco or MSD are the only good options IMO.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:34 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I'd go with a Delphi before MSD.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:46 AM
Launching!

The Delphis do have the Mitsubishi sensor. Atleast the one I bought last year did..
Old 07-14-2014, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I'd go with a Delphi before MSD.
For what its worth...New MSD's are supposed to have new and improved internals... I learned this from the tech I spoke with who performed the rebuild on mine a momth or so back.....
Old 07-14-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have msd billet and its been great.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

When did the delphis start not having the mitsu sensor?! Pics please
Old 07-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

24x ftw
Old 07-14-2014, 01:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The MSD Pro Billet is a great unit but for the more budget friendly we sell the procomp units and people are having great luck. whatever you get dont forget the lock tight the rotor screws.

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
Old 07-14-2014, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jrwilliams95z28
i have msd billet and its been great.
and a LOT more folks have had Delphi/Delco units a LOT longer and been great.

Like it our not the failure rate on the MSDs is higher. Glad your's has been good but a number of guys gave up on them and went back to Delco.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

check out rockauto for the Delphi units. They have a decent price on them.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

I had an MSD unit that lasted about 8 months but this was 4 years ago so I'm assuming the new design is not what I had.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

That was on a bolt on car btw so no more work load was being put on it then what it was designed for.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

Like it our not the failure rate on the MSDs is higher. Glad your's has been good but a number of guys gave up on them and went back to Delco.
That's great for them, no complaints for MSD here. I got mine for cheap to, girlfriends dad owns a partstore.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

My delphi/delco failed pretty quick, less than a year. My msd has been flawless for years now and plenty of rpm. I try to not listen to the internet and find things out for myself though.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

is this why you believe the Mitsubishi sensor is no longer used?

from an ad on amazon.com:

Note: Delphi partners with other manufacturers to supply the parts your car was originally built with. This product is in a Delphi package, however the part may have been manufactured by an independent Delphi supplier
Old 07-24-2014, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Just wanted to follow up on the thread.

I'm not sure exactly where but I started to get the impression that Mitsu stopped making the sensor and Delphi started to use a different facility. It may or may not be true.

I ended up buying a msd through amazon for the simplicity of things if there was a problem. Amazon is great and friends have had good luck with MSD customer service. Now to the fun stuff.

Next day shipped the MSD and my friend and partner in crime who is a diesel mechanic during the day and has extensive experience in most things automotive installed the Opti while I was at work. Gets it in and it seems we have the opposite problem. Idles good but under load instant spark knock...and baaaaddddd spark knock. He takes it out and installs it 4 times and has another friend install it once just for good measure. All the same results.

So once I get home I flash the computer with 7 degrees of timing pulled out of the tables and its better but still not right. Why 7 degrees? This is what the MSD Opti can retard/advance with the adjustment screw thinking it was set all the way advanced. Well we pull the Opti one more time and I check out stuff for myself. Everything seems fine. We turn the adjustment screw and it is set the correct 1.5 turns. I install the Opti myself with what seems like the same results in fitment. We fire it up and voila.....fixed. Running good for a week now. What the problem was with the msd who knows. I'm wondering if moving the adjustment screw "fixed" something internally. Time will tell.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by windowrattler
Just wanted to follow up on the thread.

I'm not sure exactly where but I started to get the impression that Mitsu stopped making the sensor and Delphi started to use a different facility. It may or may not be true.

I ended up buying a msd through amazon for the simplicity of things if there was a problem. Amazon is great and friends have had good luck with MSD customer service. Now to the fun stuff.

Next day shipped the MSD and my friend and partner in crime who is a diesel mechanic during the day and has extensive experience in most things automotive installed the Opti while I was at work. Gets it in and it seems we have the opposite problem. Idles good but under load instant spark knock...and baaaaddddd spark knock. He takes it out and installs it 4 times and has another friend install it once just for good measure. All the same results.

So once I get home I flash the computer with 7 degrees of timing pulled out of the tables and its better but still not right. Why 7 degrees? This is what the MSD Opti can retard/advance with the adjustment screw thinking it was set all the way advanced. Well we pull the Opti one more time and I check out stuff for myself. Everything seems fine. We turn the adjustment screw and it is set the correct 1.5 turns. I install the Opti myself with what seems like the same results in fitment. We fire it up and voila.....fixed. Running good for a week now. What the problem was with the msd who knows. I'm wondering if moving the adjustment screw "fixed" something internally. Time will tell.
Thats strange indeed. Did your buddy start off by adjusting the timing screw the first time? Seems like it. I never touched the screw and mine ran perfectly.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Timing screw was never touched ahead of time and was verified in the correct position which we put it back to. Odd thing was the autozone opti seemed 20 degrees or so retarded. The MSD seemed 20 degrees advanced or so. I'm wondering if the inside spline is "loose" and makes it easy to install one tooth off either way. Thats what it really seems like.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Teching In

I have the ability to flash 94-95 lt1s so I was adjusting timing in the computer to test our theories about the opti's being retarded or advanced.

Quick Reply: Opti Spark Choices