LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

IAT Sensor issues? Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAT Sensor issues? Ideas?

My car (97 Z28) has been running rough while I am at stop lights, you can feel and hear it misfiring. I forgot to plug the IAT sensor in and it ran better! It was still misfiring a little but it was 95% better than it was before. Should I replace the sensor? Or is this causing it to bypass the MAF sensor? Any ideas or suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Unplugging stuff is an inexact way to troubleshoot. It often leads you down the wrong path. The computer compensates in many ways when things are not working, so cause and effect is not always apparent. Monitor the IAT with a scanner to see if there are any problems with it. It can also be looked at with a meter, but a scanner is the better way, IMHO. Everyone needs a way to scan, anyway, if you are going to do your own car work.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shbox
Unplugging stuff is an inexact way to troubleshoot. It often leads you down the wrong path. The computer compensates in many ways when things are not working, so cause and effect is not always apparent. Monitor the IAT with a scanner to see if there are any problems with it. It can also be looked at with a meter, but a scanner is the better way, IMHO. Everyone needs a way to scan, anyway, if you are going to do your own car work.
Yes I agree with you, that's not how I normally trouble shoot issues lol. I guess it is time for me to invest in a scanner. Does anyone have recommendations on a good scanner for this?
Old 08-04-2014, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

So I narrowed it down a little bit after I plugged the sensor back in. When I sit at a stop light in drive it misfires a little bit, once I put it in neutral it no longer misfires. Any ideas?
Old 08-04-2014, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

from this side of the internet we can "guess" assuming "your" interpretation of what is happening is accurate

a "misfire" would be associated with ignition, not a IAC. So if you have a misfire under "load" (idle in gear) but it seems to diminish when you put the car in neutral it "could" be a plug wire or boot arcing....but with that said it could be many things also.

on computer controlled cars you need scan software or at least a code reader to diagnose wtf is happening

IAC (idle air control) valve can get dirty so it and the TB passage needs cleaning. Typically IAC problems are idle issues relative to either a low or high RPM.....but you state "misfire"......unless you meant "erratic idle, stumble".
Old 08-04-2014, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds like you have an ignition miss (which are always more obvious under a load).
Old 08-04-2014, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, originally I thought it was the IAT but I guess I will have to get someone to look at it with a scanner. Thanks again for the input guys.

Quick Reply: IAT Sensor issues? Ideas?