LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Could this be why my car batt drains out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Could this be why my car batt drains out?

So I bought the car from my pops since he couldn't figure it out. Since I bought it I noticed several things. First the rear view mirror lamps would turn on spontaneously so I disconnected that batt drained in about 2 days. Then I bought a new batt. 2 days later dead. Another thing I noticed was the remote with keys only lights up lights when locking or unlocking and horn chirps but does not actually phyisically lock or unlock car. Then finally today I tried to reprgram fob but did go though the cycles as it should but still makes car horn chirp with double depression of lock button and side lamps blink. Today I also noticed that none of the interior lights light up anywhere I checked all fuses they all check out o.k.. The very last thing I noticed and I'm thinking this maybe the culprit, since I bought the car I thought this plug-in port where knees would be I thought it was the OBD2 port but it is not. Right to the right of this mystery port is the actual OBD2 port. So this mystery port has a near neon green light that is always on even when key is not in the ignition and with everything shutoff and doors closed. For a second I thought this maybe a brake diagnostic but I dont think so. What could this port be? If it helps on the bottom side of this plug-in it has a ATS on it. Anybody know what it is? If not I will dive into researching this port next week. I think this green light is draing my batt. Or atleast I hope this is what it is any help would be great. The car is a 1996 Camaro Z28 A4 100% stock that I'm aware of with 130, XXX miles odometer.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Don't know what it is, but it did not come from the factory.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shbox
Don't know what it is, but it did not come from the factory.
K cool that's what I thought does not look stock looking.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Does it look like something fits into it like a flad blade key like object might fit into it? I had a car once that had a anti theft device like I described...It had a green light on it also.

Quick Reply: Could this be why my car batt drains out?