LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 F-Body engine drop

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 F-Body engine drop

Hey everyone, I don't if this is appropriate to post here, but I thought I'd share a video I made showing the general steps on dropping our engines from the bottom.

One thing I forgot to add in the video though, is if you want to keep from draining your A/C you can unbolt the compressor from the accessory bracket.

Let me know what you think or any tips to add.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man, I'm in the process of dropping my '96 LT1 for the first time and I've been using your video as a guide. Thank you, it's been very helpful so far! Keeping the A/C lines intact is a good suggestion, since that's what I'm doing also.

I'm keeping my stock exhaust system since I have a rear mount turbo, so you could add how to remove the stock y-pipe (without destroying it) since its a PITA on my '96. I snapped all 3 manifold studs on the driver side despite soaking with PB Blaster and had a hard time separating the y-pipe from the I-pipe.

Another idea is to slide the steering shaft off as you drop the engine, since I don't think it will come apart without removing another bolt at the other end of the shaft. At least I can't get it apart yet.

My car has traction control so the throttle cable and braking setup is a bit different than what you show. Another write up says to remove the traction control valve assembly and brake pressure modulator valve assembly, but I'm not sure if all that is necessary. It almost looks like if I remove the AIR pump that I can avoid removing some of that stuff.

Again, thanks for the vid, it's been very helpful and makes it look less intimidating!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You two guys got a pretty cute assistant!
Old 07-21-2014, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Camaro_freak
Hey man, I'm in the process of dropping my '96 LT1 for the first time and I've been using your video as a guide. Thank you, it's been very helpful so far! Keeping the A/C lines intact is a good suggestion, since that's what I'm doing also.

I'm keeping my stock exhaust system since I have a rear mount turbo, so you could add how to remove the stock y-pipe (without destroying it) since its a PITA on my '96. I snapped all 3 manifold studs on the driver side despite soaking with PB Blaster and had a hard time separating the y-pipe from the I-pipe.

Another idea is to slide the steering shaft off as you drop the engine, since I don't think it will come apart without removing another bolt at the other end of the shaft. At least I can't get it apart yet.

My car has traction control so the throttle cable and braking setup is a bit different than what you show. Another write up says to remove the traction control valve assembly and brake pressure modulator valve assembly, but I'm not sure if all that is necessary. It almost looks like if I remove the AIR pump that I can avoid removing some of that stuff.

Again, thanks for the vid, it's been very helpful and makes it look less intimidating!
No problem, um, with the steering shaft yea all you do is take out that one bolt I showed and just leave it, it'll seperate once you lift the car.

My car never had a stock Y when i had it, but separating those bolts.. They always break. It's really worth it to just add longtubes so you can easily take your exhaust off and dealing with o2 sensors.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
You two guys got a pretty cute assistant!
That's the girlfriend, I've got a video only of the end though , when I dropped her engine in her 94 z28 lol

Quick Reply: LT1 F-Body engine drop