LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Single plane intakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single plane intakes

Ive been reading up on single plane intake and all. My question is what do you guys running them use for an iac? Just crack the blades a **** hair to let it breath or drill a hole?
Old 08-03-2014, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

depends on the TB/pcm used
Old 08-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

I run one.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
I run one.
So what do you do for IAC? Do you control idle with the stop screw or by drilling a small hole in the blades? Or some other method?
Old 08-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Man-Crush Warning

I run an LS1 TB, so LS1 IAC, simple enough.

AFAIK, LS1 intakes do not have IAC passages its just bled past the blade via IAC valve.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

102mm ls tb with a ls1 iac.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nick Williams 90mm with the LS1 IAC as well.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to hear from some, at what point does one consider ditching the stock LT1 intake for a single plane? NA, nitrous, FI, RPM's???
Old 08-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
I would like to hear from some, at what point does one consider ditching the stock LT1 intake for a single plane? NA, nitrous, FI, RPM's???
According to LS1tech, the stock intake is good to 7s no issue what so ever and anyone who swaps out to a single plane is a retard who doesn't know anything. Average ET of poster: mid 12s

According to YB, the stock breadbox is a paper weight and you should have a single plane. Average ET of poster: mid 8s

Old 08-04-2014, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to LS1tech, the stock intake is good to 7s no issue what so ever and anyone who swaps out to a single plane is a retard who doesn't know anything. Average ET of poster: mid 12s

According to YB, the stock breadbox is a paper weight and you should have a single plane. Average ET of poster: mid 8s

That settles it then. :lol
Old 08-04-2014, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say, with no personal experience of course, that if you're exceeding the stock pcm rpm wise or map wise then its a decent rule of thumb you would benefit from a single plane.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Launching!

If i had the money id love to do a back to back comparison stock intake vs single plane. i do have acess to a dyno haha
Old 08-04-2014, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

And who said this? Somewhere in the middle seems about right.

The LT1 intake is a good intake for a factory made item, surprisingly. It offers good performance over a wide rpm range. Is it the best? no. But if a better one is needed is a different story.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
my 2c.
combination will really drive the answer. i have run 8.90's at 3500lbs with a lt4 intake setup with boost. with a n2o combination you better be running a fogger if you want to run those number with a factory intake. on a single plane you can get some killer plate setups. n/a setup would need to see a lot of rpm and/or ci to need more than a good ported stock intake.

lmao
Old 08-04-2014, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Shownomercy just can't be bothered with reasonable discussion and has to try to attribute made up bullshit to other posters rather than actually discuss anything.

For most of us building street/strip cars we need not be concerned with single planes and such, there are better ways to spend the coin. If I were building a 8 second racecar then it is something you need to be looking at.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/17985181-post6.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/17592558-post5.html

For more fun search what Ed has said about single planes in the past.

This is not to say there is no point where they are good, it is more to say the benefits are overstated and the point at which they becomes "necessary" is a lot faster than most people are looking to go.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Reasonable discussion on tech, in the LT1 section? Yea, good one. Coming from the guy who just wants to nut hug AI and trash LE.

There is a reason a front feeder intake has a limit on how much you can spray via a plate/nozzle before the rear cylinders start to show limits. A single plane gets you a lot better distribution and the ability to run a spacer for more plenum volume. Can't really do that with a stocker. Ed runs a super stock class, not sure how that applies to FI or N20 stuff.

For forced induction stuff I do not think its as bad of an issue but, I like to think my intake allows for better cyl distribution. Less restriction in the intake tract means a more efficient turbo so I will take my large TB and ported single plane over a LT1 setup. Then again, all the stock 5.3 guys run truck front feeder intakes and no issues going rather quick/fast.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Subscribing....I've tossed the idea around about switching to a SP intake, but I haven't seen enough info/proof, that would help push me over the edge.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Few years ago there was a guy who specifically stated he wished he hadn't spent the money, made like 20hp peak more but lost so much over such a broad range below 6500 that it didn't pay off.

There ARE definitely advantages especially with something like nitrous distribution, but this isn't something the average guy with a street strip car needs to consider.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Reasonable discussion on tech, in the LT1 section? Yea, good one. Coming from the guy who just wants to nut hug AI and trash LE.

There is a reason a front feeder intake has a limit on how much you can spray via a plate/nozzle before the rear cylinders start to show limits. A single plane gets you a lot better distribution and the ability to run a spacer for more plenum volume. Can't really do that with a stocker. Ed runs a super stock class, not sure how that applies to FI or N20 stuff.

For forced induction stuff I do not think its as bad of an issue but, I like to think my intake allows for better cyl distribution. Less restriction in the intake tract means a more efficient turbo so I will take my large TB and ported single plane over a LT1 setup. Then again, all the stock 5.3 guys run truck front feeder intakes and no issues going rather quick/fast.
I agree with this statement completely. And I think it would've been awesome if GM kept a center top mounted TB on the LT1. But, as it stands, the LT1 didn't come with one and the stocker is surprisingly good at power production, especially over a broad rpm range. So to justify the $$$$ of throwing a single (or even double) plane intake on over the stock unit for 95% of the LT1 enthusiasts is hard to do.

You know how much easier ram air would be with a top mount TB? Well, of course you do. LOL.

I wanted one, don't get me wrong. But, I couldn't justify the expense only to loose daily driver friendly low rpm tq to gain 15-20 hp over 5.5K with my 6400 rev limit.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Few years ago there was a guy who specifically stated he wished he hadn't spent the money, made like 20hp peak more but lost so much over such a broad range below 6500 that it didn't pay off.

There ARE definitely advantages especially with something like nitrous distribution, but this isn't something the average guy with a street strip car needs to consider.
Agreed. It would've been nice if GM did a top mount TB on a tunnel ram from the factory. I'm still researching how the Gen 3 and newer engines handle air distribution at low throttle and idle without the idle air passages....
Old 08-05-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Is it true that with the stock intake that the cylinders in the back run a bit richer due to most of that air going to cylinders 1 through 4 and this is where a single plane solves this problem?

Quick Reply: Single plane intakes