TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slp shorty header

Where can I find a set?

Anyone sale them?
Old 08-24-2014, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those have become pretty rare to find but every once in a while a set will show up for $200-$300 but most that I see don't have a Y pipe with them. Good luck though they are a pretty good header, most people go longtubes so the market is pretty thin for shorties.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Any one know what brand these are? I'm not sure.
Attached Thumbnails Slp shorty header-img_20140519_183419.jpg  
Old 08-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

I may have a set. I'm not sure of the brand maybe some one can chime in and tell me. They where one my car when I bought it and changed to long tubes.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

U have a pm
Old 08-26-2014, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by za355tx
Those have become pretty rare to find but every once in a while a set will show up for $200-$300 but most that I see don't have a Y pipe with them. Good luck though they are a pretty good header, most people go longtubes so the market is pretty thin for shorties.
The SLP headers were designed to be "emissions legal", therefore they bolted up to the stock Y-Pipe. I bought a set of SLP "knock offs" 3-4 years ago, but never installed them......
Old 08-26-2014, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

I have a set that we just took off. I'll post some pictures.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rjmarazzi
Any one know what brand these are? I'm not sure.
Those are the SLP stainless dual cat shorty's for 96-97 F-bodies. They are a low quality stainless, will surface rust but not rot away.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
Those are the SLP stainless dual cat shorty's for 96-97 F-bodies. They are a low quality stainless, will surface rust but not rot away.
Yea that's what I was thinking but was not sure.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

I have the earlier single cat SLP mids and Y on my car. Found them on craigslist a few years ago for $300. They are coated stainless with zero rust but I don't drive the car in the winter.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
The SLP headers were designed to be "emissions legal", therefore they bolted up to the stock Y-Pipe. I bought a set of SLP "knock offs" 3-4 years ago, but never installed them......
Not all of them were made that way. My old man had a set with an SLP Y and later I had a set with a 2.5 to 3 inch Y as well.

Originally Posted by guppymech
I have the earlier single cat SLP mids and Y on my car. Found them on craigslist a few years ago for $300. They are coated stainless with zero rust but I don't drive the car in the winter.
This is the set I had. Actually have a buddy who still has a set. His are jet hot coated and from what I remember they still look good. SLP did use a different kind of stainless prone to surface rust but at least they don't rot like regular steel headers do.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Not all of them were made that way. My old man had a set with an SLP Y and later I had a set with a 2.5 to 3 inch Y as well.
But for what year car? The '93-'95 headers weren't the same as the '96-'97's, as the later cars came from the factory with a dual-cat "Y" pipe.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

The year does not matter in this sense...you said SLP headers were made to bolt to the stock Y. What I said was that they were not all like that. Your post could easily lead someone to think that all SLP headers bolt up to a stock Y. All I said was that not all of them were. Simple as that.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:00 AM
TECH Veteran

The year does not matter in this sense...you said SLP headers were made to bolt to the stock Y. What I said was that they were not all like that. Your post could easily lead someone to think that all SLP headers bolt up to a stock Y. All I said was that not all of them were. Simple as that.
I respectfully disagree!! The '96-'97 LT1 equipped Camaro SSs and Firebird Firehawks had their "conversions" done by SLP at a facility down the road from the GM assembly plant. Their (SLP'S) modifications were designed such that they did NOT effect emissions, and were a "quick and dirty" part swap. Therefore, their headers were a DIRECT REPLACEMENT for the cast iron manifolds, and bolted to the OE Y pipe.

(look at the picture in post #3. Those "shorties" will bolt to a stock '96-'97 Y pipe)
Old 08-28-2014, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

So, everyone always says shortys are useless and a waste of money....why then would a hi performance tuner like SLP take the time to swap out manifolds for shorty headers if there were no gains to be had? Did they do it purely for sound?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

SLP headers are emission legal and have to bolt to the cats in their stock location(s). So the '93-95 single cat headers include a SLP Y pipe, the '96-97 dual cat headers bolt to the stock Y/cats. The drivers side SLP header is very different between the two styles.

Originally Posted by JOHNNYMO
So, everyone always says shortys are useless and a waste of money....why then would a hi performance tuner like SLP take the time to swap out manifolds for shorty headers if there were no gains to be had? Did they do it purely for sound?
The 1 3/4 SLP headers (single cat version particularly) are some of the best emission legal mid length headers made. Only the AS&M mids compare. If you don't want to run long tubes then you could hardly do better than running either of those two.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JOHNNYMO
There were SOME gains to be had, but A) I personally spoke with an SLP tech rep who told me that a free flowing cat-back, would be more beneficial than "shorties"; and B) a lot of people still don't realize that SLP's headers were designed to be a "direct replacement", emissions legal, option for Camaros and Firebirds that were receiving the SS or Firehawk upgrades. They had to EXACTLY fit where the OE manifolds originally did, as well as have zero effect on vehicle emissions, since they were "factory equipment" on cars sold by GM. These were NOT a "*****-to-the wall", free up 50 HP modification.....

The basic package included the 17" wheels and tires, the cold air hoods, different rear spoilers, and special badging. The headers, a Hurst billet shifter (for the 6 speed cars), a Quaker State synthetic fluid package, a car cover, and special floor mats were offered as additional options.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slp shorty header