LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Long tube install

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 07:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Long tube install

Honestly im tired of ******* with it. I'll pay someone local(San Diego) $500 to finish it for me.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's really not hard at all..... I did mine by myself in 4.5 hours or so. What's the issue?
Old 10-21-2014, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

buy me a plane ticket!!!!
Old 10-21-2014, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
It's really not hard at all..... I did mine by myself in 4.5 hours or so. What's the issue?
No matter what I do I can not get the damn passenger side in. And the bolts will not go into half the holes in the driver side as if the head has been rethreaded. Its just pissing me off to the point I dont want to **** with it.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BSmiff
No matter what I do I can not get the damn passenger side in. And the bolts will not go into half the holes in the driver side as if the head has been rethreaded. Its just pissing me off to the point I dont want to **** with it.
Walk away, take a good look and another approach and give it a try. believe me, I have had trouble like trying to install a bolt in a tight area, tried everything, got so pissed I wanted to get a sledge hammer and pound my car, I left it, stayed calm and the next day just went right in.. Take your time, You can do it...
Old 10-21-2014, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Walk away, take a good look and another approach and give it a try. believe me, I have had trouble like trying to install a bolt in a tight area, tried everything, got so pissed I wanted to get a sledge hammer and pound my car, I left it, stayed calm and the next day just went right in.. Take your time, You can do it...
^This x68721608

Gotta walk away sometimes. I had the same issue but just had to walk and come back. You'll get it.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Its been sitting for a while but Ill go back and give it a chance.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Send us some pictures here we can walk you through it. I got so mad trying to get my passenger side in I actually threw the header at the cement groud, HARD. make sure EVERYTHING is outta the way, that could constrict your working space, its an fbody, it going to be TIGHT. I pulled it off by undolting my engine from the engine mounts and used a floor jack and a rope to pull and push the engine about giving me space to slide the header in, keep us updated on your progress and let us know where you get stuck. this is what internet car forums are for. YOU CAN DO THIS!
Old 10-24-2014, 07:53 AM
Teching In

When I did headers on my '94, I was replacing the motor mounts at the same time. I had the engine jacked up several inches, helped a whole lot. If you unbolt the engine and jack it up, you will have some much room. It will be a night and day difference.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

I put mine in just after the engine went in the car, was not the easiest thing even with everything moved! Get a tap, and chase those head bolts out! If not you will NOT get them back out and be in my situation... My motor has to come back out, and have the heads repaired because 3 of my bolts took threads out.

Slow down a bit, and wiggle it around. PITA to find the sweet spot for them to thread right in. I started the front bolts first, and got the rear one next.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

The passenger side has to go in from the bottom. Unbolting the motor mount and lifting the engine helps, I didn't have to though. I did the drivers side from the top. You have to unbolt the steering shaft from the column. I had trouble with the bolts as well, IIRC I started in the middle and just ran them till they started to catch then work your way out to the outter bolts. Don't tighten them or even snug them until they are all started in the threads.

Quick Reply: Long tube install