LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Very Confused RPO Codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Very Confused RPO Codes

Well I wanted to see what gearing I had and figured that out but after looking more at the RPO #'s I'm more confused then ever. So I know I have a M29 tranny due to having a 6 speed with 3.23 gearing. Looked it up since the car was bogging a bit going into 2nd and I've had a few camaro's so I questioned that immediately and got that answer.

Then I saw M30 and I'm like isn't that an auto. Only thing I can think of is since the owner told me he swapped motors from a 1996 Camaro into my 1993 he did as well with the tranny and never touched the gears and was left at 3.23's.

This is the closest thing that would make sense and the guy swapped both the engine and tranny from that 96. This car has everything new, all gaskets and everything poly bushings I mean everything even suspension. I guess my frankenstien car has me a bit confused. Sorry for the long post.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

The only 2 things that would make sense would be a dash swap or 6spd conversion!!! Run the Vin & see whats up... Or dont worry about it & find some 4.10s or atleast 3.73s out of a S10 or buy some new aftermarket gears that are thick cut to fit your carrier if its a posi unit... Otherwise find a posi & gears!!! Google the 2 different 6spds to see if youve got the M29 or T56!!! I cant remember its been too long since I built the T56s at Borg Warner LoL before that job I worked at GenCorp where they made the tops for Fbodies & Vettes Been awhile!!!
Old 10-24-2014, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for the advice. I got so many parts sitting in my room. I found RPO code G80 i think it means posi but not sure. I have 3.90 gears waiting to get installed, LT's, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Rims and Tires. Just doing some maintenance on the car and some paint work trying to get it to run right and look somewhat decent. Its one of those things I wish I had the car from the beginning prior owners just trashed the car. Although the guy I bought it from dumped a good amount trying to get it reliable but still need to work on it. This car is gonna be were the longer I have it the more surprises I'll find.

Originally Posted by warriorcustoms
The only 2 things that would make sense would be a dash swap or 6spd conversion!!! Run the Vin & see whats up... Or dont worry about it & find some 4.10s or atleast 3.73s out of a S10 or buy some new aftermarket gears that are thick cut to fit your carrier if its a posi unit... Otherwise find a posi & gears!!! Google the 2 different 6spds to see if youve got the M29 or T56!!! I cant remember its been too long since I built the T56s at Borg Warner LoL before that job I worked at GenCorp where they made the tops for Fbodies & Vettes Been awhile!!!
Old 10-24-2014, 02:21 AM
TECH Resident

IF youve got 3.90s I hope those are thick cut!!! Carrier break is 3.73 down & 3.90 up if I remember right!!!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

2-series carriers in the 4th gen have ratios 3.08 down to 2.73 (needs the "thick gear" for a direct swap). If you choose to use a 3-series set of gears in a 2-series carrier, you'll need the spacer ring to make up the difference in thickness of the ring gear.

3-series carriers in the 4th gen have ratios 3.23 up to 4.56 and even higher, I've seen (needs the "thin gear" for a direct swap). You cannot use a 2-series gear set in a 3-series. It only goes the other way.

Also important to consider is the ABS. 93 and 94 cars came with a 3-channel ABS system. You can verify this by looking at the top of the differential housing- there is a wire going to the top with a sensor that reads the notches on a reluctor ring bolted to the ring gear inside. the 3 channels in 3-channel ABS are the front 2 wheel speed sensors (one on each wheel spindle) and a single one for the rear end. 4-channel ABS setups from later years have a wheel speed sensor at each real wheel, and no reluctor inside the diff, hence "4 channels."

If you're sure the rear end is factory and was not part of the swap from the 96 car, it is a 3-series carrier and should have 3-channel ABS. If the ABS system is inoperable andf the light is on, verify the previous owner didn't remove the sensor and its wiring- may have a plug in the hole for the sensor on the top of the housing.

I have 2 94 f-bodies. I'm installing 4.10s in my M6 (3-series / 3 channel) and putting the 3.42s from it into an auto car with factory GU2 / 2.73 / 2-series / 3-channel with a spacer as described above.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default .

Yes for sure thats a crap load of info. I knew driving it, it not at all felt like 3.42's. I've had so many camaro's now I was able to figure it out quick. Its definitely not 2.73 gears for sure seems like there 3.23's. Believe it or not I had 2.73's in my other 93 Camaro I bought a few years ago and that was terrible, lol.

Originally Posted by Gojira94
2-series carriers in the 4th gen have ratios 3.08 down to 2.73 (needs the "thick gear" for a direct swap). If you choose to use a 3-series set of gears in a 2-series carrier, you'll need the spacer ring to make up the difference in thickness of the ring gear.

3-series carriers in the 4th gen have ratios 3.23 up to 4.56 and even higher, I've seen (needs the "thin gear" for a direct swap). You cannot use a 2-series gear set in a 3-series. It only goes the other way.

Also important to consider is the ABS. 93 and 94 cars came with a 3-channel ABS system. You can verify this by looking at the top of the differential housing- there is a wire going to the top with a sensor that reads the notches on a reluctor ring bolted to the ring gear inside. the 3 channels in 3-channel ABS are the front 2 wheel speed sensors (one on each wheel spindle) and a single one for the rear end. 4-channel ABS setups from later years have a wheel speed sensor at each real wheel, and no reluctor inside the diff, hence "4 channels."

If you're sure the rear end is factory and was not part of the swap from the 96 car, it is a 3-series carrier and should have 3-channel ABS. If the ABS system is inoperable andf the light is on, verify the previous owner didn't remove the sensor and its wiring- may have a plug in the hole for the sensor on the top of the housing.

I have 2 94 f-bodies. I'm installing 4.10s in my M6 (3-series / 3 channel) and putting the 3.42s from it into an auto car with factory GU2 / 2.73 / 2-series / 3-channel with a spacer as described above.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by karpetcm; 10-24-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That ABS info is only partially correct. 93-94 should be indeed 3-channel, because traction control (NW9) was not an option until 95. However, it was an option. Not all 95-97 cars are 4-channel.

OP, your car sounds like a M6 swapped car. You should have GU5 on your RPO sticker as well, which would be 3.23 gears.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes definitely says GU5. So what I'm thinking I have a 96 engine and tranny the guy just kept the stock rear gears at 3.23's. I got 3.90's sitting at home which will be my first install with all the other stuff I have. I appreciate the advice lots of helpful info.

Originally Posted by Spartan7
That ABS info is only partially correct. 93-94 should be indeed 3-channel, because traction control (NW9) was not an option until 95. However, it was an option. Not all 95-97 cars are 4-channel.

OP, your car sounds like a M6 swapped car. You should have GU5 on your RPO sticker as well, which would be 3.23 gears.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:19 PM
9 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by Spartan7

Correct, my 96 car was 3-channel. Now its no channel, but I got a 9".
Old 10-26-2014, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Guess Ive had Dana 44s on the brain for too long with the S10 SAS LT1 build LoL Glad someone chimed in with the right carrier breaks!!! Youll definately welcome 3.90s vs the 3.23s!!!

Quick Reply: Very Confused RPO Codes