LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Power Steering Leak for a '96 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Leak for a '96 Trans Am

Hello

My car recently started leaking power steering fluid. Last weekend, I just changed my high pressure hoses that go to the rack and pinon from the power steering pump and I did change the returning high pressure hose that goes to the reservoir too. I went to a car meet last night and it started leaking again.. Not like before but it's still leaking. Any suggestions or any ideas what it could be?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The little cap on the rack(when it leaks out of here it doesn't leak from the reservoir but out of that seal) is common to leak. I put a brand new rack in and it leaked out of the same spot. 3Rd one was a charm. Is your reservoir level lowering when it leaks?
Old 10-27-2014, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ws6turbo
The little cap on the rack(when it leaks out of here it doesn't leak from the reservoir but out of that seal) is common to leak. I put a brand new rack in and it leaked out of the same spot. 3Rd one was a charm. Is your reservoir level lowering when it leaks?
Yes everytime! I have to refill it a lot before.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

When you are making a sharp turn, do you hold the steering wheel with force at full lock? Don't do that. Just letting the steering wheel be 1" less rotated wont jam up the pump and cause over pressure which is when it may leak. My buddy would hold the wheel hard at full lock in tight turns, I told him to stop pulling so hard and stop turning the wheel when it starts getting hard, and the leak stopped. Put your car up with the front tires in the air and turn it lock to lock, when you pull on the wheel that extra inch you can hear the pump groan, yet the wheels don't turn any farther.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
When you are making a sharp turn, do you hold the steering wheel with force at full lock? Don't do that. Just letting the steering wheel be 1" less rotated wont jam up the pump and cause over pressure which is when it may leak. My buddy would hold the wheel hard at full lock in tight turns, I told him to stop pulling so hard and stop turning the wheel when it starts getting hard, and the leak stopped. Put your car up with the front tires in the air and turn it lock to lock, when you pull on the wheel that extra inch you can hear the pump groan, yet the wheels don't turn any farther.
I jacked up the car from the drivers side. I turned on the car for like a good minute or two then turn it off. After I did I got underneath the car to see if I might have put on the lines wrong or anything. The car started dripping again but it's dripping from underneath the tensioner. All lines are dry but I don't jam the wheel to neither side when I'm turning though either. Only thing I can think of is the power steering pump is on it's last legs.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

if the leak appears around the tensioner...most likely the pump is leaking from either the fitting going into the pump or pump itself. Only reman pumps are available...hit & miss on quality

Lee is highly regarded..

http://lee-powersteering.com/

Quick Reply: Power Steering Leak for a '96 Trans Am