LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stop Replacing Opti's!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Stop Replacing Opti's!!!!

O.k. I'm starting this thread in the hopes that we can get all us LT1 guys to understand what the Optispark does and when to replace it.

Too often the Optispark is replaced when it's not the problem. This leads to a lot of negativity about it and people replacing a good Optispark and not solving their issue.

Please correct any information that follows if it is incorrect. And please feel free to add anything relevant. Like details about the 6AL and it's effects on the Optispark...

The Optispark is the LT1's Camshaft and Crankshaft Position sensor AND it's distributor. It is mounted to the front of the cam and spins 1:1 with it. The Optical sensor sends pulse signals to the PCM and tells it when each cylinder is in a certain position. The PCM then takes that signal and sends out the pulses to the ICM for spark timing and the injectors for injector timing. Clarification, the PCM controls spark timing and sends the signal to the ICM.

This is important to note. The LT1 is a equipped, from the factory, with a fuel injection system (batch injection 92-93, sequential multi port injection 94+; this means that the injectors are timed to inject fuel only during the intake stroke of each cylinder).

If the actual Optispark fails the injectors AND the spark will not work because the PCM doesn't know at what position the crank is at and therefore cannot time either event. They both use the same sensor to time their events.

So next time you have a spark issue, check your injectors BEFORE you replace the Optispark assembly. If they are still pulsing then your issue is likely somewhere else.

The best way to test the Optispark is with an Oscilloscope. But, many of us don't have one and probably never will.

That being said, if the injectors are pulsing it doesn't mean that they are pulsing when they should. It only means the Optical sensor is still working. Many times, if the timing is off, it's because the sensor is dirty (typically from a leaking seal) and all that is required is a good cleaning, resealing, and re-installation of the same unit. USE LOCTITE or RTV!

One of the most common things I've noticed is people replacing the whole unit when all they need is the Cap and Rotor. Because the Optispark is a distributor too the cap and rotor require periodic replacement (like any other distributor system).

When replacing the Cap and Rotor it would be a good time to replace the timing cover seals and clean the Optical sensor too. Don't forget to seal the unit up too- very important. Also check to see if it's got the Mitsubishi sensor, if so and if it was working, keep it. Don't replace the whole unit just because it is old. Many times the newer unit has parts that are of far less quality; especially the none Delco/Delphi units from the local parts store.

Another issue is people mounting aftermarket stuff to the Optispark system. Because the distributor is part of the Optical sensor housing it causes ozone in the unit (this is why GM revised the unit to be vented). The ozone is very not good for the Optical sensor. The stronger the spark going through the distributor the more damage it does to the Optical sensor with every pulse sent. It's best to use the stock coil with the Optispark distributor and ensure the venting system is properly maintained. Many people have gone 200+K miles using the stock GM set up, others have gone into the 9's. It's a very capable system.

Last edited by hrcslam; 11-06-2014 at 09:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hrcslam:
BFromTheD (02-09-2024), tee83 (02-19-2022)
Old 10-30-2014, 05:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the post, maybe of we can get enough links and info in here it can be a sticky? If any mods still patrol this section and would do it.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

This is a good video on the Optispark.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:08 AM
TECH Addict

Recently my machinist told me that the cheap Opti's have been pressed together wrong causing the timing disc to be more than a few degrees off from where they should be. This recently caused havoc on one of his customers 383 (3 cheap Cardone Opti's in a row!). They bought a Delphi and problems were solved.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously? How is any of this new info...The optispark BS has been beat to death since 1993...

Newbs.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

It's not new info. Hopefully more people will see this so there are less threads on this board that sound like "guyz im on my 5th chandler opti in 15 miles omgg LT1s SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKkkalhsdjflkajsdlkfhja"
Old 11-02-2014, 03:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HO99Vertz28
Seriously? How is any of this new info...The optispark BS has been beat to death since 1993...

Newbs.
It's not new, it's old *** info. Insanely old. So annoyingly old that the fact that I even started this thread should show the shear frustration of how annoyingly old yet still IGNORED this information is. ARGH!

Off topic: Did you build your 8.8? Do you have a build thread? I'd like to see how you trued the axle tubes before welding.

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
It's not new info. Hopefully more people will see this so there are less threads on this board that sound like "guyz im on my 5th chandler opti in 15 miles omgg LT1s SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKkkalhsdjflkajsdlkfhja"
This. This exactly. I don't don't know how many threads I read per week where "experienced" LT1 enthusiast blame the Opti when someone posts anything wrong with their car, anything! Then the OP will replace it only to have the same problem! UGH. How about we show them how it works so they can properly diagnose and fix the problems, not just throw a new Opti at it!

Blinkers blinking to fast, Opti!
Low Coolant light it on, Opti!
Wipers don't work, Opti!
Cruise Control inop. Opti!
Window regulators failed, Opti!
The light at the intersection turned Yellow, Opti!
Now the light is red, Opti!
Flat tire? It's the Opti!

ARGHH!!ADHGRHAGDHSHA!!!!!

/Rant.

Last edited by hrcslam; 11-27-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I love my MSD opti. Flame suit on
Old 11-02-2014, 03:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ElkySS
The MSD Opti's are actually one of the better unit's, especially their rotor (metal rivets). They do have their limits though. If going none Delphi/Delco the MSD is the only other option IMO.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Diagnostic/operation info for the opti has been out there a long time. People just choose to ignore it (and they will continue to do so). Regardless of your intentions with this thread, you'll still see more opti threads. I guess it does not hurt to try, though.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:25 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by HO99Vertz28
Yep. This thread is like preaching to the choir.

Originally Posted by ElkySS
Originally Posted by hrcslam
The MSD Opti's are actually one of the better unit's, especially their rotor (metal rivets). They do have their limits though. If going none Delphi/Delco the MSD is the only other option IMO.
Agreed. Back when I had my '94, the MSD unit cured issues I had with several opti units.

As time marches on and less parts providers care to cater to the LT1 crowd, replacement opti units will become worse. In time, the only viable opti unit will be the MSD unit.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please elaborate on the MSD limiting factors... Im curious. When I sent mine in to be rebuilt, they said it was tested to 7000 rpm. What part of the MSD opti design is limiting?
Old 11-02-2014, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved my MSD opti, the thing ran good even with a cracked cap! I had one of the earliest units also, it had just come out around the time I had my opti go bad. I had to wait a few days for it to ship.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JOHNNYMO
Please elaborate on the MSD limiting factors... Im curious. When I sent mine in to be rebuilt, they said it was tested to 7000 rpm. What part of the MSD opti design is limiting?
This guys at about 400rwhp at 3K rpms (I thinks he's E85 and 14:1 or something along those lines), he's had a lot of issues with his MSD Opti. He finally went 24x.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:58 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Yea I stopped replacing optis once and for all.

24x and done with optis.

Good thread, five star, would read again.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This guys at about 400rwhp at 3K rpms (I thinks he's E85 and 14:1 or something along those lines), he's had a lot of issues with his MSD Opti. He finally went 24x.
When mine failed, MSD told me the rebuilt unit would have ALL NEW (updated) internal parts. I also had the optical sensor failure. Its been very good since they rebuilt it. The cost was about $150. shipping included.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JOHNNYMO
When mine failed, MSD told me the rebuilt unit would have ALL NEW (updated) internal parts. I also had the optical sensor failure. Its been very good since they rebuilt it. The cost was about $150. shipping included.
This is good information. I know with a Delphi/Delco unit it's a one time big purchase. MSD is almost as reliable (if not just as) and they are rebuildable, making them cost less in the long run.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously if sticking with the opti the MSD is the way to go if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

Or well 24x, I did that years ago along with quite a few others it seems.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run an msd opti but I only make 390hp
Old 11-03-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

While that video was painful to watch, it was informational.

24X is a cure to the opti issues...if it in fact opti is the issue or if you spin the motor to the moon. BUT at the price for a 24x conversion, I'll pass since I have no need to spin my car past OEM redline along with my opti is not giving me issues.

Quick Reply: Stop Replacing Opti's!!!!