LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Build Updates

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 04:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Build Updates

So, got plenty of overtime, and a couple pay raises at work, here's the status on my build so far, may need help from someone with a similar setup in selecting a cam (or I may go custom-grind).

Scat 4340 383 stroker crank
BBK throttle body (58mm I believe)
Machined LT1 block
Ford 9" rear with full spool, 4.11's, and the GM axles (courtesy of the town mechanic Dobbins) - still needs disc conversion
1.6 RR's
Head stud kit (comp cams)
T56 trans (borg)
SLP stage 2 intake
SRP pistons
Manley rods
Trickflow heads
Custom exhaust (fuccellos in trenton?)
Double roller timing chain

Was wondering, what cam would go well with this? WV car, so emissions are no issue. Needs to be decently drivable for road course or autox, but still fast down the 1320. Can give more exact specs, and sorry if I fat finger anything, no computer so the phone is it. Looking at either an LE intake port or an edelbrock (ported), and have an LS1 ignition swap kit on order. May have forgotten a few parts - gonna have to go digging through my personal machine shop to find out (boxes of parts everywhere).

Also, anyone know what it takes (besides the obvious of a roll cage, 5pt harness, fire suit and helmet, gloves, shoes) to be 9-second legal? Just guessing that a H/C/I/E stroker LT1 will get me at least close, so I'd rather do that while the entire car is apart than after I finish this rebuild.

Thanks
Jake R
North Central WV
Old 11-06-2014, 04:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Even a ported edelbrock intake can't hold a candle to a ported stock manifold. Are the trickflows ported or as cast? To solve the cam issue I'd send the trickflows to LE or AI and have them ported and let them spec you a nice big cam to go with that LS PCM. The 1.6 rockers need to be non self aligning. Shoot for 12.5:1 with 0.035-0.038 quench, -5cc pistons.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:15 AM
Launching!

I've got a Lloyd ported stock intake to match his 215cc Trickflows. I can get port measurements if you need them.. 200$ shipped. I switched to a single plane.

11.49 - 9.99 legal is a 6 point cage I believe. Drive shaft loop, and some other small stuff. My track isn't very strict so I don't know exactly. NHRA rule book should be online.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:11 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Past 135mph means battery cutoff, and I am sure you need a clutch shield and or trans blanket.

Does a NHRA bar pass in SCCA?
Old 11-06-2014, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Given the ignorance you have exhibited with the talk of edelcrap intake and no mention of head porting and pipedreams about 9s your ignorance is going to make 11s a lucky result.
A spool with radial street tires is awful to drive.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Even a ported edelbrock intake can't hold a candle to a ported stock manifold. Are the trickflows ported or as cast? To solve the cam issue I'd send the trickflows to LE or AI and have them ported and let them spec you a nice big cam to go with that LS PCM. The 1.6 rockers need to be non self aligning. Shoot for 12.5:1 with 0.035-0.038 quench, -5cc pistons.
This.
Unless you have the cash to get them ported, skip the Trickflow heads in favor of some ported stock GM castings from one of the popular porters. A set of AI or LE GM castings will far outperform the as-cast Trickflows. There are several shelf grind cams that will work, but I'd get a custom one done up.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Jake

"9's" on a NA 383.... and "decently drivable for road course and auto X"...

might want to re-think your goals/use

as noted stay away from Edelbrock intake. Discuss direct with AI or LE what power expectations are realistic with using the Trick Flow heads they would port and do a custom grind cam for

post 2 says it all
Old 11-06-2014, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Autocross and drive-ability with a spool? I think not sir........

Quick Reply: LT1 Build Updates