LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spark Plugs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs.

95 Z28 148K on FACTORY plugs, looking to change them. Rear passenger looks like ill have to pull the whole damn engine out the car Any tips on doing this? or should i just buy 5 spark plugs at the store and give up the ghost on this one?
Old 12-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Just did the plugs on my 95 a few months back, i ended up dropping the y pipe to get to some of them. Some are much easier from under the car, some are easier from the top...it goes on a plug by plug basis. The wire routing was what really made it a pain for me
Old 12-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jaxem
Just did the plugs on my 95 a few months back, i ended up dropping the y pipe to get to some of them. Some are much easier from under the car, some are easier from the top...it goes on a plug by plug basis. The wire routing was what really made it a pain for me
hell honestly id leave the damn things in there but im pretty sure a nasty tick is coming from the rear passenger plug, and they are factory plugs so might as well just go ahead and throw some NGKs at it and call it a day.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

148k is well beyond service life of a plug. Just replace with same plug and forget about plugs for another 100k mi

if plug swap does not resolve your "tick" from rear cyl may be a broken/missing exhaust manifold bolt. look/feel around rear bolt when swapping plugs

Last edited by BALLSS; 12-04-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
148k is well beyond service life of a plug. Just replace with same plug and forget about plugs for another 10k mi

if plug swap does not resolve your "tick" from rear cyl may be a broken/missing exhaust manifold bolt. look/feel around rear bolt when swapping plugs
You mean 100K miles, plugs today easily last that long if you're not running rich or have other mechanical issues. I changed the plugs in my '98 silverado at 168K, they were original as well as the wires. Didn't run any different but they were smoked.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ******
148k is well beyond service life of a plug. Just replace with same plug and forget about plugs for another 10k mi

I looked under there today, so far no broken bolt or anything out of the ordinary, i really think its a loose/bad plug.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
You mean 100K miles, plugs today easily last that long if you're not running rich or have other mechanical issues. I changed the plugs in my '98 silverado at 168K, they were original as well as the wires. Didn't run any different but they were smoked.
For real, if it aint skipping i usually wont change them.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

plugs arent that bad as people say. it is a tight fit. did all but one from under that car. they will be a pita to get off because the threads will have some rust on them. use antiseize on the new plugs and dielectric grease on the boots to make them go on and come off easier. took me about 2 hours to do.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jucas97
For real, if it aint skipping i usually wont change them.
FYI, now that I just thought of it. You said you have a ticking sound? Check for burnt wires arching off the motor, that will make a ticking noise. I had that issue when I did headers on my car.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Another thing that helped me, I cut a spark plug socket in half and bored out the center so the plug could protrude through, then I could get a wrench on the socket and get them out that way. Although I have headers, I've never done them with the stock manifolds.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

You mean 100K miles, plugs today easily last that long if you're not running rich or have other mechanical issues. .
yeah, typo, I meant 100k

Another thing that helped me, I cut a spark plug socket in half and bored out the center so the plug could protrude through, then I could get a wrench on the socket and get them out that way. Although I have headers, I've never done them with the stock manifolds.
yeah did the same thing for my headers...although I suspect this would help any hard to get to plug with stock manifolds. once you turn it with a box wrench to loosen, plug should then just unscrew by hand
Attached Thumbnails Spark Plugs.-plug-socket.jpg  

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs.