LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

To all who have ever dealt with Clayton Racing Engines or William "Corey" Clayton...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually its a dude over in York, he does a lot of circle track and sprint car motors, as well as boat and street motors, I need a combination of street, race and dry sump oiling building expertise, and in speakign with him, and some of his customers, he seems like "the dude"
Old 01-27-2015, 06:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by projektnitemare13
Actually its a dude over in York, he does a lot of circle track and sprint car motors, as well as boat and street motors, I need a combination of street, race and dry sump oiling building expertise, and in speakign with him, and some of his customers, he seems like "the dude"
Planning on going "dry sump"??
Old 01-27-2015, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Yup, few fold reasons, more room for piping etc, can help keep crankcase pressure down and improve ring seal, and help the motor live longer. and I already have a newly rebuilt Barnes pump my friend gave me when he got out of drag racing, so free is a good motivator too.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Yup, few fold reasons, more room for piping etc, can help keep crankcase pressure down and improve ring seal, and help the motor live longer. and I already have a newly rebuilt Barnes pump my friend gave me when he got out of drag racing, so free is a good motivator too.
I wish I had friends like that!!

On a more serious note, have you considered the amount of room it's going to take, to mount that pump? I used to mess around with an oval track car, back in the 80s, and it, too, had a dry sump system. The "traditional" mounting location for the pump is low on the LF of the engine, right where the steering connection to the rack and pinion is, on a 4th gen F-body.

It wasn't an issue on my car, because it was a fabricated, steel tube chassis, and the engine sat well behind the steering rack, so there was plenty of room for the pump. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just giving you a "heads up", so double check your available space, before you commit to the dry sump system.....
Old 01-28-2015, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

Yup, it will fit, itll be on the LF as well, but if I run an LS1 steering shaft, along with deleting everything else on that side, It fits fine.

I am running a barnes pump with a HTD belt system, and then powering the power steering off of the back of the pump.

So on the left front there will be the alternator and then dry sump, and thats it. And the future plan is an all electric air conditioning system which ill trunk/rear mount to help balance the car.

The biggest concern is the mounting of the oil tank. I wanted it to be underhood, but its looking more and more like I may need to notch the firewall or interior or rear mount it, even though I don't want it to live that far from the pump as the longer the distance the more headaches there will be.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:37 PM
TECH Veteran

.......The biggest concern is the mounting of the oil tank. I wanted it to be underhood, but its looking more and more like I may need to notch the firewall or interior or rear mount it, even though I don't want it to live that far from the pump as the longer the distance the more headaches there will be.
I agree.....Maybe you could move the battery to the rear, and get a smallish oil tank in there. However, I have seen some of the oval track cars that mounted their oil tanks behind the driver, so yes, they had fairly long oil lines.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

yeah its one of the big questions i am trying to figure out right now, that and what cage i want to put in.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:19 AM
TECH Veteran

yeah its one of the big questions i am trying to figure out right now, that and what cage i want to put in.
Judging by the picture in your avatar, I'll assume that you want to run auto-x, so that's the desire for the dry sump. What if you ran a Canton road race oil pan, a truck (2 qt. capacity) oil filter, and an Accusump?
Old 01-30-2015, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

Well, I planned on doing road course, autox is fun, but not as much fun as hill climbs and true track days. But you are correct, those started as my initial plan, but then I was gifted a dry sump pump and it went form there.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your luck with Corey, I purchased a compstar/carillo rotating assembly from him in 2010/11 and had a great transaction with him during that time. Sounds like he got in over his head and instead of doing everything possible to make it right, he took the easy way out.

Good luck on the build. I too have turned to doing everything local or with large companies. There seems to be too many of these stories going around.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

yeah, i seem to be not the only one with this guy and one of many in the same situation in general. it sucks, but jsut gotta keep on truckin!
Old 02-06-2015, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got screwed outta $1200 by Corey. The shitty part is, I've been to his house, I met his family and I thought I would be good. When I moved out to AZ that's when I started getting screwed. So I actually had my dad and his buddy go visit him at home. Needless to say I got most of the cash back and an apology but it still sucked feeling taken advantage of.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Man, it sucks to hear that all of us have been screwed at one time or another. How can these people sleep at night and not feel bad? My car was nearly completely stripped at a shop and it put me back thousands of dollars. Unfortunately, that happened when I was in my very early twenties and didn't know what to do.
Good luck OP.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 383z
Man, it sucks to hear that all of us have been screwed at one time or another. How can these people sleep at night and not feel bad? My car was nearly completely stripped at a shop and it put me back thousands of dollars. Unfortunately, that happened when I was in my very early twenties and didn't know what to do.
Good luck OP.
Calling the police would have been an reasonable idea, don't you think?

Old 02-13-2015, 07:00 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Stander
Calling the police would have been an reasonable idea, don't you think?

In that situation there is little the police will do. The better options are small claims court and/or lawyer up.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Long shot, but try making a claim of fraud with your credit card company. Perhaps they will remove the charge.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow man... so sorry about that experience man.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

thank you, and yeah jsut a cautionary tale. as well as, a call to any others who hes screwed.

Quick Reply: To all who have ever dealt with Clayton Racing Engines or William "Corey" Clayton...