LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

To all who have ever dealt with Clayton Racing Engines or William "Corey" Clayton...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all who have ever dealt with Clayton Racing Engines or William "Corey" Clayton...

I am writing this to ask anyone who has had dealings with this person, and been screwed by him to please, please, please, file a complaint with the IL States Attorney's office and the Attorney General.

My long sordid tale boiled down to the basics:

March 2011 I ordered and paid for (in full) a motor to be built by Mr Clayton. Stalled, and jerked around for a year. then come march 2012, I was told to pony up, motor is finished, just need to pay for shipping and we're good to go. I paid him for delivery and then....wait for it...NOTHING!

Thats right, nothing, no motor, no calls back, nothing.

I waited for a long time, and I finally filed a civil suit against him in my home state of PA, and got the judgement in my favor. I then filed it in IL, and hired an attorney to attempt collections. He instead filed bankruptcy, claiming he only makes 30k a year (which as the lead tech for Nickey Chevrolet, I find it hard to believe) and therefore has more debt than assets, where he has transferred all of them to his wife at this point.

Now I just got notice he got his bankruptcy approved, and so I am screwed out of $5000.

Upon him telling me the motor was ready for shipping I had stripped my Camaro, bought all kinds of awesome go fast goodies, and then patiently waited, my car is still in parts, I don't have the cash to finish it now, and feel nothing but anger when I look at it.

And it seems the only way to get any satisfaction at this point is criminal charges. And the IL civil servants have basically said my single claim isnt enough for them to care about. But, I thought, maybe, fi other people who got screwed by this guy, come forward, MAYBE, jsut maybe someone up there will care, and do something about it.

So, if you were taken advantage of, please go contact them and file complaints

Thanks.

Last edited by projektnitemare13; 01-15-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

so I'm gonna go ahead and avoid Clayton Racing Engines
Old 01-15-2015, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

to my knowledge, theyre shut down completely.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

Man that sucks. Just shitty
Old 01-16-2015, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Thank you for the empathy. And yeah its been kinda rough, the really gorey details make it even worse. Lesson here, dont pay up front, and be more prepared to initiate a chargeback or legal action if needed.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:46 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Reminds me of the KTRE and IRS debacles from years ago. Even though both companies were pretty well established you just never know when they may go full retard.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Well this one went full retard when the ownership/operation of the company went from Jerry to his son Corey. Seems like I placed an order in the "transition" period, and once Corey took posession he quickly destroyed the company.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A lot of businesses have been wrecked by family that didn't EARN a position or ownership.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow man.. That sucks.. Sorry to hear that man..
Old 01-17-2015, 10:32 PM
Launching!

Dude, I have been there and it sucks! I just did a quick google search and you are not the only one that has been screwed over. Google search his company and contact some of the people from other forums to see if they will file a complaint. I hope things work out for you man.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
A lot of businesses have been wrecked by family that didn't EARN a position or ownership.
That is the most true statement ive seen in a while
Old 01-18-2015, 07:14 PM

Man, sorry to hear. Most shops won't start work without a deposit first. Stories like this tell me not to pay more than the deposit until the work is actually completed and verified.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man Im really sorry to hear that! Situations like this make you lose motivation. But whatever you do, try and complete the project.

Just a bit of advice my mother always told me: "Never pay in full on a job thats not complete when you purchase ". Not paying in full gives the seller motivation to finish the product. Either way, he seemed that he was gonna screw you regardless. But he would only have half the money and not all of it.

That amount of money was worth paying him a surprise visit
Old 01-19-2015, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

scumbag look up his address and pay him a visit
Old 01-20-2015, 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=SwampWS6;18625126]

Just a bit of advice my mother always told me: "Never pay in full on a job thats not complete when you purchase ".QUOTE]

^^^ This, any reputable company will have the funds to do their advertised work, if not, then they are fly by nite hoping to rob peter to pay paul. Anytime ANYONE ask for money up front, walk away, I also learned this the hard way, Pro Turbo Systems here in San Antonio Texas did the same thing to me. Long story short, I did finally get my kit, a POS, nothing fit and as I got to the shop, it was completely empty...I feel for ya
Old 01-20-2015, 07:07 AM
7 Second Club

Did you mail him the money?
If so, I would contact the USPS and look into a mail fraud charge.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

I paid via credit card, I already spoke to the attorney general and states attorney, they have zero interest in pursuing it. sadly.

And also thanks everyone for the encouragement, I am trying to get back up and finish this thing, jsut set em back a few years. So, I'll have to figure out how, but I'll get back at it.

Thanks everyone, it really helps me not feel like a total **** that you guys are so supportive.

On the plus side, I spent my down time researching and getting better at fabrication, so now I might have a prayer at building something nice as opposed to a great motor supported with shitty parts

Last edited by projektnitemare13; 01-21-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:09 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Not trying to be a Richard here, but this thread is a perfect example as to why you should always use a local machine shop. I don't care how popular an internet rock star it could be. Really sorry you have to deal with such a piece of ****.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

youre not being a richard, its absolutely true, its kind of the secondary moral of the story here. Luckily, I've located a local shop that does good work, who I will be workign with in the future here. and who understands where I'm coming from, so they can do the work slow and steady but in budget and all.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by projektnitemare13
youre not being a richard, its absolutely true, its kind of the secondary moral of the story here. Luckily, I've located a local shop that does good work, who I will be workign with in the future here. and who understands where I'm coming from, so they can do the work slow and steady but in budget and all.
Is isn't Racekrafters, is it? They used to get a lot of ink in 'GM High Tech Performance' magazine, and are/were located in the Lancaster area. On the other hand, magazine ink doesn't insure good work, either......

Quick Reply: To all who have ever dealt with Clayton Racing Engines or William "Corey" Clayton...