LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tire Chirps

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thats too bad shownomercy I love hard hitting autos. I would find it annoying only if it kicked sideways and forced you to let off the gas.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bufmat that is one controlled massive burn out! I have done nothing near that.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are driving a stock car like an *******, That is a ricer. You seem to have different definition of what a ricer is compared to what it actually is. Clutches are rated by power, not how many gears you can "chirp" the tires. Get more power if you want to spin, get crappier tires if you want to squeal.

Ever notice how a drag car with soft compound tires doesn't make that horrendous death squeal that you think is cool? Harder compound tires and larger lugs will make the noise your after, Softer performance tires will not make noises.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need to reevaluate and study what a ricer is bone head. Also read the whole thread before making clueless comments.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350 groundpounder
You need to reevaluate and study what a ricer is bone head. Also read the whole thread before making clueless comments.
So by not multi quoting your *** and responding to everything you had to say is me making clueless comments? I've read the whole thread, everyone here has responded and you aren't getting the info.

Making comments like "Just seems like there is no good answers for what is a good street clutch" is not heeding advice, And as you put it that I'm a "bonehead" and not reading, I also told you in the same post that you didn't like that clutches are rated for power holding capabilities and not tire chirps as well as where tire noises come from and how to achieve more of it.

The only thing clueless here is you.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

This has been a bad thread in general lol. Your not a bonehead either. I am clueless at times I am very new to lt1s but not classic hot rods. By the way that Monte Carlo is sweet. Oh by the way I did a burnout through second gear up a hill when I punched it going to work lol, put me in a good mood.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

A ricer is anyone who adds sight or sound mods to a car to only make people notice them more, not in the name of actual performance. These mods are done to attract attention, and nothing else. Rolling coal with huge stacks in a diesel, huge exhaust tips, open headers on a stock engine, putting an auto in neutral at a stop light then rolling backwards slightly then putting it in drive to make it look like you have a stick (I almost had a guy back into me at a light doing this ****, I know it was an auto because at the next light he took off normally), or trying to chirp tires loudly in public, are all ricer moves. RICE = Really Inconsiderate Car Enthusiast, draws negative attention from cops and environmentalist hippy dipshit democrats, that increases profiling of a certain type of car, so if some jackass in a diesel is rolling coal or an LT1 is chirping 3rd gear all over town, cops will start targeting all of those vehicles assuming all of those drivers are jackasses, when the rest of us only act like jackasses when nobody is around. A loud exhaust on a very high horsepower car but you drive very cautiously on the street trying to be quiet, or accidentally chirping your tires because you had to get a really strong clutch because of alot of power, or putting stacks on a truck so the soot doesnt turn your trailer black, those people arnt doing that on purpose, so we hope the cops dont hassle us and understand were trying to be nice, but when some jackass is being a jackass on purpose for no reason like trying to chirp his tires at WOT at 70mph, it causes cops to think were all jackasses.

Anything is overall "showing off" on the street, is ******* annoying. Sitting outside walmart revving your mustang, holding a low gear just to make alot of noise in a neighborhood, chirping tires in front of people for the sake of chirping tires, you just look like a jackass crying for attention. If you want to do that **** on a backroad with nobody around, go for it, we all do, but nobody wants to see some piece of **** slow *** car pretending to be a race car and endangering my life, my kids life, or ruining the hobby for everyone.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 01-23-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would agree with some of that bufmat. The thing is that everyone has there own opinion.

IMO, I grew up in the American culture where American made muscle cars are cool. Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles, GTO's, Trans AM's and Cuda's to name a few. IMO and in these parts a muscle car that can run in the 13's in the quarter mile is a respected car on the street, it is enough power to kill you if you are stupid with it. My LT1 in stock form "except for a few bolt-ons and it may have been tuned" isn't a ricer IMO, not EVEN CLOSE! Any car that goes 0-60 in 5.5 sec and can run high 13s is not a RICER. The Lt1 will hang with many of the classic muscle cars of the 60s out of the box. How fast a car is a relative term, to someone who has a LE LT1 and running 11's a stock LT1 is slow, to a 9 sec car a LE LT1 is slow. Everyone has an opinion and a life background that is different.

For the record my car looks completely stock and I could care less about adding spoilers, chrome rims and graphics to draw attention. In fact I want black rims soon because I cant stand my rims in stock form! I am all about and for American performance and building up classic cars and then taking them out on the street and having fun, I could care less about what anyone thinks about my hobbies or my cars. Cops due tend to ruin your fun even though I do most of my driving in the country they still make there presence known once in awhile.

Many Americans still appreciate Camaro's, Mustangs and such, that is why car shows and drag strips are still popular. People cheer when cars do burnouts, and run 10s. It is still cool to most of us. Some ppl still like to see a car get on it when they take of from a stop sign it is part of the muscle car culture. A little burnout or tire chirp doesn't really hurt anyone, it is hard to find anything anymore that is fun in this country that isn't breaking the stupid law. Its better than being a criminal, or doing drugs, for god sakes let ppl enjoy there cars.

A ricer means different things to different ppl. Opinions vary and definitions vary period! My believe is that a ricer is a car such as a 4 banger Nissan, Honda, Suzuki and such that has oh lets say 140 horsepower and the person puts a fart pipe on it to make it sound even crappier and annoying. Then they pimp it out with all kinds of bells and whistles and they think it is cool and fast here in America and then they show up at the dragstrip in groups of 10 cars and you have to listen to fart pipes all day running 16's at 80mph instead of watching American muscle cars. What makes me smile is when oh lets say a nice 454 chevelle lines up with a "ricer" and destroys it by a half a track lol. A 454 Chevelle isn't annoying, it actually sounds good in the burnout box, launching and chirping a tire and hearing that 500hp rumbling out of the exhaust as he rips down the track to a 12.0 at 115. That's my opinion of what is cool and what a ricer is.

All of our opinions are different in one way or another on this site. I appreciate all the advice I get from you guys especially with fixing these semi-hard to work on LT1's. When my stock internal LT1 blows I will need lots of opinions on parts and advice to build a reliable 12 sec street driven LT1. I'm thinking LE1 heads and mild cam, New rear end and some suspension mods but that is for another thread and another time. For now I will work on getting Long tubes and a tune soon and just enjoy the bolt on power of the stock LT1 engine, should maybe get low to mid 13s with traction!
Old 01-23-2015, 09:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 350 groundpounder
A 454 Chevelle isn't annoying, it actually sounds good in the burnout box, launching and chirping a tire and hearing that 500hp rumbling out of the exhaust as he rips down the track to a 12.0 at 115.
And thats exactly my point. Its cool at the track, its not cool on the street WITH PEOPLE AROUND doing it just to be a jackass. You can call it a ricer or you can call it a jackass, its still attempting to show off on the street in front of people who dont give a **** about you and your car. You can have 10 second chevelle and doing burnouts all over town and that is a jackass/ricer, just trying to look cool but attracting unwanted attention. At the track everyone came to see cars go fast, on the street, people just want to get from A to B without getting in an accident. You powershift 3rd at 70mph just to chirp and try to impress someone, but 99% of the people on the street dont give a **** about you or your car, where as at the track everyone came there just to see that.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

And that's my point, opinions vary.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

In the year 2015 where a new Camry can spank a C3 Vette and nearly every V6 car has around 300 horses, nobody gives a flying **** about your 13 second car.

Most people view cars the same way they look at appliances or a cell phone and couldn't care less about you. Driving recklessly around other people just makes you a dick by putting other people at risk. Spirited driving is only for back roads.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey BONEHEAD, read my post before running your flapper about how you think I drive around other ppl, you obviously cant read or understand sentences. I obviously said country roads so don't call ppl dicks, bonehead. I also don't care about 300hp torqueless camrys.

Last edited by 350 groundpounder; 01-23-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Gotta run 12's or better for respect this day in age lol.. 13's and 14's are the norm..
Old 01-23-2015, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Neworleans, I would agree that 12's are when power starts getting serious! 13's are still pretty quick though for a daily driver. I want 12s once I rebuild my Lt1.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:12 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

9s are where its at, 11s are slow.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:43 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I like to chirp 'em after binge drinking. I like to chirp 'em after binge drinking, a lot.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good advice! Binge drink get in the 9 sec Lt1 then chirp em! My car is only 4 sec to slow.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man do what makes you happy... I replaced the stock muffler and resonator on my old 4.7L Jeep with a round chambered muffler, and then added a K&N cai. I had a little data logger that recorded a 7.6s 0-60 time... Was the Jeep loud? Yeah it was, and my gf didn't care for it much. Did the muffler increase performance? I have no idea, but it made my Jeep sound like a V8 should sound. If that makes me a ricer than so be it. I was young, I liked (and still do like) my muscle cars loud, and making my Jeep loud as well made me happy.... Though I eventually got the immaturity out of my system: I don't beat on my cars much anymore, I prefer to cruise. I enjoy the occasional burnout, when no one is around. And when the Jeep engine blew, I got a nice and quiet Ford Focus.

As for chirping your tires, I would agree with a lot of the guys who said to add power. Add some Long Tubes, 4.10s, and a cam with rocker arms and that should give you the bump to spin the tires effortlessly.... And as one guy stated, power shifting will add some chirp as well.

Quick Reply: Tire Chirps