LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tire Chirps

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Tire Chirps

Anyone get tire chirps in third gear? My 96 m6 z28 gets a good hard chirp going into second but I only have had a slight chirp in 3rd once.

Is it worth getting a new clutch that grabs hard? I am still running with the stock clutch. Only mods to the car are CAI, TB Bypass, Airfoil, Muffler delete, so pretty much stock. Would a stage one clutch be a upgrade from the stocker? Or should I go with a stage 2 or 3?

I am weird I love hard tire chirps when daily driving!
Old 01-16-2015, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You like hard tire chirps..
If you want to spin, get some **** tires. Get longtubes.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Shock will break your sh*t and make a T56 sound like a can of marbles. Either your motor doesn't rev down fast enough or you need to drive stick better.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

I've got a new AZ clutch with a Valeo disc and a Spec 28lb billet FW, it scratches 3rd under power every time. I did move the torque arm off the trans with a relocation trans crossmember which really tightened up the chassis response also. IMO it doesn't hurt anything.

Last edited by guppymech; 01-16-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guppymech, I agree I don't think it hurts a thing. If anything it is good on the clutch because you are disengaging the clutch quickly that leads to a hard chirp and saves wear on the clutch. When you ride the clutch and let off it slowly is when all the wear happens. It would be nice to relocate the bar off of the trans though. I will have to look into that clutch.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Well sadly slamming or chirping gears is hard and harmful on the entire driveline... From the timing chain, valve train, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, transmission, universals, transmission and motor mounts, differential and axles. If your worried about what's most wearing on a clutch its actually down shifting slipping the clutch slowing down. If you continue, something will break.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would agree that rodding on a car is hard on everything but that's why you drive a hotrod, not to drive like grandma mosses. I will buy a minivan if I want to drive like a lifeless slug! I will let everyone know what grenades first lmao!

Realistically I usually drive my lt1 pretty normal, I usually shift around 3500 to 4500 rpm because the car has plenty of fun pull at those rpms. If I rod on the car I don't rev it past 5200 because I don't trust the springs and lower end to 6000rpm on a daily basis. My favorite thing is hard acceleration from 0 to 60 lol and that is what is hardest on a car! I love rolling smoke and chirping tires hard on occasion.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

What are you in high school? Spinning ain't winning.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nope, 33 years old and I have a good career. There is just something fun about power sliding around corners and burning the tires and chirping gears. Hard acceleration 0 to 60 has always been the most enjoyable to me.

That being said, I want the best of both worlds, tire frying and the ability to have the tires hook up when racing a mustang/ricer/ or a guy in a duramax diesel who thinks he can out accelerate me because he has 650lbs of torque.

I don't do as many burnouts anymore because of the cop presence around here and they would love to bust anyone for reckless driving. The whole point of this thread was to find out if there are any clutches out there that grip and hook hard! Anyone man who doesn't enjoy a burnout or a tire chirp is either a ***** or a man that has no testosterone left in them.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clutch is designed to slip. It is there to prevent excessive changes in rotation as well as transmit power from one object to another. It is better to under clutch than to over. NEVER over clutch. Clutches are cheap insurance when dependability is considered. Any man who calls another man a ***** needs to get out of high school thinking. If tire chirping is your thing add real power to your car...
Old 01-20-2015, 05:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 350 groundpounder
The whole point of this thread was to find out if there are any clutches out there that grip and hook hard! .
clutchs using more aggressive friction material like ceramic puc type discs do "hit" harder than a stock full face organic disc clutch. Several clutch companies make them ofter 2, 2+, 3, 4, etc with the higher # typically associated with a more aggressive disc type. All LT1 "pull" type PP are the same clone Valeo ones regardless of clutch company. Some claim to modify them more for "higher" clamp force...some ? though as to what exactly that is but altering the angle of diaphragm fingers is the likely way it is done. I suspect the later just makes pedal effort feel harder so the user thinks he has a stronger clamping clutch. McLeod says they do and can not modify the LT1 pull PP to do this but other clutch companies claim they can. May be more sales hype I don't know

Trade off in going with a more aggressive clutch, which will enable you to "chirp" your tires easier if that is your goal is clutch chatter which for city stop/go traffic can be a PIA.

The ultimate would be to get the McLeod Street Twin which is organic full face disc but because of having twice the surface contact as a single disc clutch they do hit hard...to the point that everything down stream can take a beating or break. This clutch would be over kill for stock motor use but no doubt will hit hard and allow "chirp" through 4th and likely 5th as well

I do like to "have fun" and drive aggressively and do have a Twin (and a 383)...although I don't show off and chirp all the time though I easily can. I am more of rolling off the line and when there is the desire to lite them up I just floor it and boil the tires, hit 2nd and leave way more than a "chirp" (read several feet of black stripes) and easily bark the tires 3rd & 4th. by the time under WOT I get to 5th I am going over 100 mph so on street I don't find that situation happening and at the track I cross the traps in 4th.

Do understand as noted that the more aggressive a clutch you get it will hit harder and the stress on your driveline in front of and behind the clutch can and will take its toll
Old 01-20-2015, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the info on clutches! That Mcleod street twin sounds real nice! I need to get a stronger rear end for sure in the future, but I thought the T56 M6 was safe upwards of 450lbs of torque? Does the t56 break often? I also don't do much city driving, I live and drive in mostly the country so hopefully I could avoid clutch chatter.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

The high school thinking saying is just retarded. Do what you enjoy with your car. If it is chirping the tires or winning races then do it! Spinning isn't winning is no more mature than a person saying he likes tire chirps, in fact you cant race legally on the street so winning races is no better or less "high school than enjoying tire chirps."
Old 01-20-2015, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=350 groundpounder
That being said, I want the best of both worlds, tire frying and the ability to have the tires hook up when racing a mustang/ricer/ or a guy in a duramax diesel who thinks he can out accelerate me because he has 650lbs of torque.
[/QUOTE]

The duramax probably will crush you anyway.... as well as the newer stock V8 mustang....ricer, maybe you have a chance....but theres a few out there that will clean your plate for you.... Just drive the car like it was meant to be driven...its a road car, not a 1/4 mile car....why abuse it?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

When I had the cc503, 4.10 gears, and a 275 street tire it would just break loose in 1st/2nd. No chirps going into 3rd with a stock style clutch. Switched to 3.89 gears, 315 radials, and a Spec 3+ and still no chirps other than 1-2 on occasion.

Just because a T56 is rated to 450ft/lbs doesn't mean that a used transmission with however many miles is going to stand up to repeat abuse. Bearings wear, thrust increases and they get noisy.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

If all you want to is chirp 3rd get shitty tires. I enjoy a nice burnout or powerslide as much as the next guy. If all you want to do is chirp 3rd to look cool on the street with other people around, but have no power to back it up, that's the same as a diesel rolling coal, or a ricer with a fart can, trying to look or sound cool to "impress" people but still slow and you look like a big smelly bag of douche. You want to chirp 3rd get enough power to do it. RICE = Really Immature Car Enthusiast, ruins hotrodding for the rest of us by doing **** on the street with other people around to earn all of us a bad name and be targeted by cops. Go on any diesel forum and everyone stones people who want to "roll coal", or any import forum for anyone asking for the loudest exhaust. There was a body wash commercial a few years ago making fun of the axe body spray/wash guys, showing a highschool kid saying "I want them to see me, hear me, smell me", that's what this thread sounds like.

I've driven a spec stage 4 clutch in an 80s turbo supra, it was freaking miserable on the street because it grabbed so hard yet had no power. He could chirp 4th, but got raped by my stock lt1.

Heres what sumikomos sound like, when I was an immature douchebag 19 year old in my neighborhood, they chirp a little, are shitty and will spin or chirp when its cold, I dont do this crap anymore on the street unless I am ALONE on the road, with nobody around to see.

Also try powershifting, no lift of the throttle, just bliping the clutch enough to disengage while you slam the next gear. That will chirp street tires on a cold day and help you drop your 1/4 mile time. I dropped 3 tenths just powershifting. Certain brands of tires do not make any noise when they spin, but the sumikomo HRZs Ive found to be loud when they spin on the street. You may be spinning 3rd slightly already, but your tires may be quiet when they spin.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 01-21-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:32 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Chirping tires means you have shitty tires, and usually absolutely no power.

Spinning in third means I get introduced to the wall if I don't lift.

Dumb thread is dumb.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont like to show off in fact my fiance hates my six speed lol. I just enjoy hot rodding. I hate loud exhaust and fart pipes. I wish I had a big block because I like deep rumble ! I have p otenza tires and they are pretty quiet tires. Im surprised they make a 2nd gear chirp sound at all. Just seems like there is no good answers for what is a good street clutch. I dont want to over due it either. Sometimes I wish it was a auto then I could get it tuned for hard shifts. My brothers g8 has a tune and that baby hits hard in every gear. That ls power is nice. When my engine blows I want to do Le1 heads and a mild cam then I will be truly happy with the power on the street!
Old 01-21-2015, 09:58 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

You know whats cool about a hard shifting automatic?

Nothing.

Mine chirps radials on the 1-2 shift just idling, and its annoying as ****.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Duramax's dont run high 13s stock lol they are too heavy and I am 2 for 2 against them. Most ricers are 15 or 16 sec cars unless turbocharged so I ain't scared. The new mustangs are a different story running 12s! I need some LE heads and a cam to race them coyote motors.

Last edited by 350 groundpounder; 01-21-2015 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire Chirps