LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Update: 01/22/16 "My crappy turbo build"

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool! It's crazy how long these projects can take when life gets in the way, but I wouldn't know anything about that *cough* 7 years later *cough*.

Can't wait to see it running .
Old 08-31-2016, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Very cool! It's crazy how long these projects can take when life gets in the way, but I wouldn't know anything about that *cough* 7 years later *cough*.

Can't wait to see it running .
It will be all worth it in the end. When my first Eagle crank split in half that came with the engine from Golen my car sat for 3 years. Ended up getting fully covered under warranty and the madness started back up.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well its been a while since I posted. Things have been moving at a steady rate so I am not to upset with the progress.

I finally got around to installing my new rockers. Much better quality than the old ones

Got the injectors installed too. I worked hard af to buy these

My little custom fuel setup. Works pretty good so far.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

So here I ran into an issue. The 12 bolt I ended up buying was somewhat setup for auto-x. So when I went to install my calipers and wheels to check for clearance issues, the wheel wouldnt even fit because it was hitting the caliper. Previous owner was running huge Baer rotors that would only fit 17" wheels and he had some custom Baer backing plates installed. So I had to rush around and find some stock backing plates. So in the midst of changing backing plates, I decided to replace the axles bearings so everything is fresh.

At this point here, I was pressing the bearing on and bent the ******* press. My father in law was PISSED!

Finished product!
Old 12-07-2016, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I finally made it to Dyno Day. 3 years of hard work, hurdles and pure frustration was for this one day. So I loaded up and headed out to Kansas City.

On my way to KC I noticed that my Duramax DEF light stayed on longer than usual. Had me a little nervous but I was too pumped about the trip to let that get me down. So as a hundred miles or so passed the "Speed Limited to 55mph Upon Next Startup" flashes across the DIC. My heart drops to the bottom of my stomach because this is possibly one of the worst messages to see when traveling, towing and your family is with you. That message requires a visit to dealership which is always a toss up when going out of town. So now I am worried.

Arrived at the dyno the next day. I then had my wife take the truck to the dealership while I was getting the car tuned. Seemed like a good way to kill 2 birds with one stone.

So here is where things get good ().

Pull the car in to start tuning and the tuner started working his magic and then I see a gigantic puddle of fuel on the floor. The look on my face was "You have to be effin kidding me". The injector orings on the passenger side was leaking like crazy. With dual 450lph pumps, -8 feed lines, 1300cc injectors with 58psi base pressure, I leaked 1/4 tank of fuel within 10 secs. I tried to fix the issue but the orings where just too small. The tuner looks at me and says, "Man, I am sorry, but I cannot tune the car with this issue. For one, it could catch on fire and burn to the ground and I'd rather not even go through the motions if I can't tune it correctly". I completely understood him and appreciated that he was honest with me.

So I then receive a call from my wife and she says that the parts for the truck wouldnt be in until the next day. The DEF heater went out on the truck and the nearest dealership with the parts where over 100 miles away. Then I had to wait until about 4pm before they gave my wife a loaner vehicle mind you that it's 11:30am. That also means that I had to buy another hotel room for the night. It was my wife, my 17 month old daughter, mother in law and father in law on this trip. This trip easily cost me $1000. Dyno day was probably one of the most depressing days yet. My daily driver and my street car shot craps on the same day. But I had no choice but to laugh it off because it still could have been alot worse.

Sometimes when building you own project you'll have a ton more issues vs going to a shop. But I am still proud of the mess I made (if that makes sense) and have learned greatly from them.

So as of right now, I have fixed the leaky injectors with LS3 injector orings. I also have been trying to learn how to tune myself. I have been doing tons of reading and trying things to see how the car reacts. Data logging has been my best friend. I took the car out on the street for the first time and stabbed it in 2nd gear and it got kinda crazy. It was my first time in boost and it was set on gate pressure which was 8#. I got on the transbake about 3k rpm and it just smoked the tires like crazy and I have yet to even turn my boost controller on. The results so far has been rewarding so I cant wait until the track opens back up.

This winter I plan on adding a CO2 kit, MSD 2 step, MWC antiroll bar, installing my front upper and lower A Arms and going for a retune. Car should be complete minus being painted. So wish me luck over the winter! Will post pics as things change and hopefully come March, I can run like a scalded dog!
Old 12-07-2016, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a tough story to read but sounds like you are keeping your head up. Just curious but any clue why the o-rings gave up at the dyno and not sooner. Not enough run time or forgot to check?

My first dyno tune after the initial build was overall successful but one of the cooling fans crapped the bed and smoked the fusible links. The tuner was not pleased but it got generally done.

Keep us posted.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
That's a tough story to read but sounds like you are keeping your head up. Just curious but any clue why the o-rings gave up at the dyno and not sooner. Not enough run time or forgot to check?
Yes I checked over everything before I left home. But when he was revving it to 6k I guess the pressure was too much and gave out. But comes to find out that the ID1300s I ordered are the same part number and the LS1 injectors. So I am thinking that I was sent a set of injectors with some LS1 orings installed which are smaller than LT style orings. After I bought the LS3 orings, that fixed the issue.

It really sucked because I didnt get to make ONE pull!

I dont see why your tuner would be pissed that a fan failed. Seems like a minor issue to me.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:24 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

da faq you still have DEF for???

<3 my 05

Sucks about the dyno, I feel your pain there, basically had the same thing happen to me with my first attempt to tune mine.

It all works out in the end.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:27 AM
Launching!

good to see you're gettin closer. at least you got a little seat time.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
da faq you still have DEF for???

<3 my 05

Sucks about the dyno, I feel your pain there, basically had the same thing happen to me with my first attempt to tune mine.

It all works out in the end.
While building a car I figured the DEF delete could wait. But I got stranded twice and I am not letting that happen to me and my family again so I am saving up the $1700 to get a delete, tune and 5" exhaust.

My father in law has been racing for 30+ years and he said to me "I know this was unfortunate but I was going to see if you were going to give up. Now I see that you are not a quitter. The car will be great just because of your attitude ". Meant a lot to me because he's not the type to commend anyone on anything......

We'll be back rolling soon!
Old 12-08-2016, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brettmc
good to see you're gettin closer. at least you got a little seat time.
I swear I've turned into a junky already. With the feeling of boost, I'll never want to see what nitrous is like. Now I want more boost and more rpms, even though the car is not fully tuned yet. LOL. Hell I havent even made a pull over 5100rpm yet.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a crappy slide show I have made when I was bored the other night. Complied from the photos already posted here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSEt...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-17-2017, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Added Dyno Video

Well I came back from the dyno and I am not too happy. I had some issues that I wasn't hoping to have.
1. Had a misfire on cylinder #4
2. I didnt have my boost referenced regulator hooked up
3. I was blowing through the converter as soon as I made boost
4. Developed an exhaust leak while on the dyno.

So I am happy and sad at the same time. I only made 560whp on 8lbs with those issues. So its back to the drawing board so I can get everything ironed out before the season starts.

Here's the video:
Old 01-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Launching!

progress tho. at least you turned the rollers this time.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea. I constantly have work to do with this thing
Old 01-18-2017, 09:20 AM
Launching!

would you be bored if all you did was drive it? .
Old 01-18-2017, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brettmc
would you be bored if all you did was drive it? .
No, Not at all!
Old 01-19-2017, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Dont feel bad about the build time, I built my motor some 6 or 7 years ago and only have like 8 miles on the motor, almost all 1/4 mile passes. Just everytime something broke, I should be ready this year..
Old 01-19-2017, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Dont feel bad about the build time, I built my motor some 6 or 7 years ago and only have like 8 miles on the motor, almost all 1/4 mile passes. Just everytime something broke, I should be ready this year..
After the dyno day, I didnt expect to have that many issues. But that day just added to my "To Do" list. I wanted to be done before track opens but my wallet is telling me it may be longer than that.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Apologies if this is a silly question, I've only built one boosted car and it wasn't a big V8 so I know the "rules" may be way different. Is the Co2 kit just so you can run very low boost easily by using a small spring for the street and then use the co2 on the top port to turn it way up? Unless you want massive boost potential wouldn't just getting the proper WG spring be way easier, simpler, and cheaper since you can usually get roughly double spring pressure as max PSI?

I know its a tiny motor, but without any co2 my little 6cyl 1JZ had no problem controlling 19psi with a Turbosmart 45mm WG and a TruBoost EBC while testing. Turned it down to 16psi on a 14psi spring and everything is great, zero boost creep or spiking. Can run as low as 14psi and theoretically up to 29psi to max out the EBC for ~700+hp...if it wouldn't instantly grenade the stock trans .

Last edited by Puck; 01-26-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Update: 01/22/16 "My crappy turbo build"