LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Update: 01/22/16 "My crappy turbo build"

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started on the TH400 last night and what a mess. Got this for free from a semi flooded basement, so it was all types of crap was floating in there. Got it disassembled and taking it to the car wash today to get it all cleaned up. The parts washer is broken so doing it the old school way. A couple cans of de-greaser and I should have it looking all purdy

Old 02-04-2015, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't wait to see your car finished with some times slips man! It seems like it's gonna be bad ***.. Keep the pics coming..
Old 02-04-2015, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Will do sir
Old 02-10-2015, 07:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good man, keep the LT alive. I'm really glad you didn't join the LS bandwagon like everyone else does. People seem to forget that the LT can be fast too. I mean LS is the lasted from GM, but if I wanted a LS I would just get a car that the LS came in to save time and money.

But that set up should run really nice!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zz17iroc
Looking good man, keep the LT alive. I'm really glad you didn't join the LS bandwagon like everyone else does. People seem to forget that the LT can be fast too. I mean LS is the lasted from GM, but if I wanted a LS I would just get a car that the LS came in to save time and money.

But that set up should run really nice!
My idea is LS is its just too easy. When a LS beats a LT its much expected. When a LT beats a LS "Everyone loses there mind(in my Joker's voice)". I like that its more difficult to get a LT to go fast. Its much more rewarding. All it takes a junkyard 5.3 a cam and 20#s of boost and your easily at 800rwhp. Where's the fun? (Besides the 800rwhp). Just to get 600rwhp in a LT it takes a decent amount of planning and thinking to achieve it. Plus a LT sounds wayy better than a LS to me.

I just like being an underdog I guess.....
Old 02-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
My idea is LS is its just too easy. When a LS beats a LT its much expected. When a LT beats a LS "Everyone loses there mind(in my Joker's voice)". I like that its more difficult to get a LT to go fast. Its much more rewarding. All it takes a junkyard 5.3 a cam and 20#s of boost and your easily at 800rwhp. Where's the fun? (Besides the 800rwhp). Just to get 600rwhp in a LT it takes a decent amount of planning and thinking to achieve it. Plus a LT sounds wayy better than a LS to me.

I just like being an underdog I guess.....
Your right, around here LS is always expected to win. Before I swapped to a turbo set-up, I was destroying everybody in my area at the track and on the streets. I would pop my hood at the track or at the local hang outs and the look on their faces were always priceless. And now that I'm turbo they don't even get next to me in the staging lanes because of the reputation the car had before the turbo. Trust me I'm not bragging because their is always someone faster, but the car is well respected for being a street car and I DD it quite often and not just on the weekends. My thoughts about owning a fast car is the joy of driving it whenever and wherever you want and not be a trailer queen. If you can't do that, then why have it? Life is to short not to enjoy it!!!
Old 02-10-2015, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your right, around here LS is always expected to win. Before I swapped to a turbo set-up, I was destroying everybody in my area at the track and on the streets. I would pop my hood at the track or at the local hang outs and the look on their faces were always priceless. And now that I'm turbo they don't even get next to me in the staging lanes because of the reputation the car had before the turbo. Trust me I'm not bragging because their is always someone faster, but the car is well respected for being a street car and I DD it quite often and not just on the weekends. My thoughts about owning a fast car is the joy of driving it whenever and wherever you want and not be a trailer queen. If you can't do that, then why have it? Life is to short not to enjoy it!!!
Amen brother Everyone here in St. Louis is set on LS this LS that. Like you said the looks on their face when you pop the hood is priceless. I dare to be different. I like when people tell me my **** wont run as good as an LS. Screw you! I beg to differ. And once my block or internals take a crap, Im doing it all over again. And let the *** dragging commence!
Old 02-10-2015, 03:08 PM
Teching In

I like when people tell me my **** wont run as good as an LS. Screw you! I beg to differ. And once my block or internals take a crap, Im doing it all over again. And let the *** dragging commence!
It's funny you mentioned that because I'm in the middle of rebuilding my high compression 11.19:1 383ci that I had in the car for 11 years. I manage to run the car with the turbo up to 14psi boost before I took it apart. The rod and main bearings looked good with no signs of uneven wear or cooper showing. I dropped off my rotating assembly, balancer, and flex plate at the machine shop last Friday. The machinist said the crank was still with in specs and looked really good for being in the car for 11 yrs of hard nitrous use. So I got away with a polish on the crank and should be able to pick up my balanced rotating assembly with the new dished pistons by the end of the week. I have a long list of dudes I need re-drag when I put it back together.

I even had one of my customers try to pay me by giving me a 5.3 LS for some work I did to his 99' Corvette because he knew I needed the money to finish my car. But of course I refused and told him "I don't need to go LS to be fast, I've been going fast for past 11yrs with gen 1 technology; So you do the math".

But one of the biggest reasons why I'm not going to LS is because everyone else is doing it and I like being the underdog pooping on everyone's parade, especially the ones that paid tens of thousands of dollars just to say they have a LSX in their cars and get beat by a 3rd gen camaro with a gen 1 SBC. How embarrassing!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

But one of the biggest reasons why I'm not going to LS is because everyone else is doing it and I like being the underdog pooping on everyone's parade, especially the ones that paid tens of thousands of dollars just to say they have a LSX in their cars and get beat by a 3rd gen camaro with a gen 1 SBC. How embarrassing!
Touche` my friend. Are you on a 24x conversion or stock PCM? That will be my new saying. "I dont need a LS to go fast" I love it. Once I get the suspension dialed in with weight reduction, I hope to be deep into the 9s.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Are you on a 24x conversion or stock PCM?
I'm still using the stock 730 Speed Density ECM with a piggy back circuit board call EBL P4 Flash from Dynamic EFI, here is their website: http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_P4_Flash.php

The EBL P4 Flash does away with the burning and swapping of chips, giving me the ability to re-flash any tune through the ALDL like the newer style PCM's and adds 4k memory allowing me to store 8 tunes at one time and upload tunes in less than 7 seconds. The EBL P4 Flash also allows the factory 730 ECM to use up to a 4 Bar map sensors for boosted applications. And best of all, the EBL P4 Flash has VE learn to help dial in new set ups quickly. All those features for $520 bucks using a 25 year old factory dinasour ECM with one injector driver on 18-24psi of boost. I even have the ability to control meth injection, you can't beat that with a baseball bat!!!! Again who needs LS to fast?

Go ahead check out the link to Dynamic EFI because that guy is really smart and he helps everyone out at thirdgen.org
Old 02-11-2015, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Oh I forgot, EBL P4 Flash also allow the control of nitrous and the use off WB 02 in the data stream or use in place of the narrow band 02's.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Update: Another phase completed

Got the TH400 buttoned up last night. Slow progress but got it done. It was fun but also time consuming and frustrating. But with these 2 hands I damn near built my own car. Rewarding if it all works

Here installed the TSI transbrake. So excited about it. But since I will be on the 10 bolt for a while I will not get to use this feature as of yet.

Here is everything complete. I added a deep TSI aluminum oil pan. Nice quality stuff right there. Next I hope to install after I purchase my SFI flexplate and converter. I will be working on wiring the car, adding the fluids, measuring the DS and purchasing torque arm. Wish me luck!

Old 02-23-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Starting my 24x Conversion

Well I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet on doing the 24x conversion. I would rather the car be running at its best rather than to have a new S60 and the car not performing at its full potential. So here I am basically prepping for the swap. Parts should start to pour in this week.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:27 AM
Teching In

24x is also a good compromise. I thought about going that route too, but cash was a little tight.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cash is a little tight for me as well. Going with a standalone would cost a little more than this. So finding a lot of used parts made it easy. Mr. Ellwein helped me out with some used 24x parts and a few random things from EFI connection. I would have done my own wiring harness, but it was too time consuming so I just got a BP Automotive plug and play.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking like one hell of a build, its a good feeling to build it yourself even if it takes longer.

I'm also dissapointed about the 98+ front clip, I think the LT1 Formulas/WS6s/Firehawks are the best looking F-bodies of the whole lot.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jay7199
build looks nice, got bummed out by the 98+ conversion.. car looked sick before, uncommon to see a nice 93-97 TA.
^Agreed....now everybody will think it's just another modded LS1 that smoked their ***!

I like the looks of LT1 front ends (both TA and Firebird versions) a lot better IMHO...Nice work on the drivetrain regardless!
Old 04-16-2015, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. The main reason I went to the front clip conversion is just because of the air flow. The LT front ends doesnt allow the best flow. Plus with the heat of the turbo and the radiator, I need as much air as possible. I think I should have went to a formula style. If I wasnt going turbo, I prolly would have just left it alone.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Making me wish I had went turbo route instead ... Great build
Old 04-18-2015, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TSAEB
Making me wish I had went turbo route instead ... Great build
Thanks. Dont give up on what you really want!

Quick Reply: Update: 01/22/16 "My crappy turbo build"