LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 Z28 Fuel Pump Diagnostic-Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Z28 Fuel Pump Diagnostic-Help

My Camaro started not wanting to start a while back. It cranks and gets spark but won't fire up and just kind of sputters for a second before dying. I tested my fuel pressure and it's around 38(ish)psi with the key on. I know that's lower than the 41-47 it should be getting but is it enough to make it crank/no start? The gauge was jumping more than I would think it should while cranking and the pressure drops off within a couple minutes (bad baffle in the fuel pump?). I can't smell gas or see a leak. I'm fairly certain I need a new pump, I just want to get a second opinion so I don't have to cut the panel and replace it in the snow for nothing. I'm considering the Racetronix 255 kit since I saw it well rated on another thread, though any suggestions on a better alternative would be appreciated.

Note: I bypassed the VATS system a couple weeks ago but I don't see how that could affect this.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you considered installing a new fuel filter? Especially if you don't know the history of some of the basic stuff on the car, it's best to start with the cheapest and easiest items first.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:55 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

That is plenty of pressure for the engine to start. Usually when a pump starts to go bad it will not act up until there is more fuel demand. So it will start, idle, and can be fine during cruising speeds, but will start to act up if you try and accelerate.

Last edited by SS RRR; 01-27-2015 at 07:10 AM.

Quick Reply: 94 Z28 Fuel Pump Diagnostic-Help