LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Post tune exhaust backfire

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post tune exhaust backfire

Hey, just wanted to get this sorted out so I know it's normal. Currently my exhaust setup consists of Pacesetter long tubes, ORY, then dumped with a cutout. I just had it tuned while it's in storage, and before the tune whenever I would decelerate at a higher rpm it would always give me a nice cackle/pop/backfire as it went down in the RPMs - was very normal and never concerned me. Today I had a chance to get it started right after getting the PCM in and after letting it warm up for a minute or so I would free rev it up to about 3k, down to 2k, then back up to 3 etc. It was quick throttle snaps and would backfire like it would before but would also sometimes backfire much louder than normal when I let off. I could actually feel it in the car where the cutout sits, which was unusual to me. I know with such a free flowing exhaust this type of stuff seems more common. It idles super well, revs very freely with no hiccups, it only happened when I snapped off the throttle. Is this normal for LT1s? I had it tuned for 93 and it's sat in storage for a few months with old 91 in it so maybe that's why? I thought tunes were supposed to lean out the stock-rich mixture so that's why it was unusual. No exhaust leaks, burnt wires, and no hiccups like I said. It was tuned by Solomon FYI. Like I said, do LT1s like to backfire normally and should I not be worried? Thanks in advance

Last edited by Almonz T/A; 01-26-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would talk to Solomon if I were you..
Old 01-26-2015, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like I just had problems with this car recently but I got this one squared away. I took a closer look tonight and the open loop tables were richer than closed loop. When it was being revved it was in open, so I just let it sit until closed loop hit and the tables ran much leaner and it revved just fine with the normal cackling and no "louder" popping. Kind of a "duh" moment for me. Couldn't make any sense of it and was checking plug wires and plugs, turned out to be something simple.

Quick Reply: Post tune exhaust backfire