LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Custom crank hub

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom crank hub

So I have a bit of an issue. A few years back I purchased a 383 shortblock from a builder. The crank used was a Scat 9000 series which utilizes a key way so I purchased a Pioneer Automotive hub to match it. I noticed when installing it that there appeared to be a bit of clearance between the crank and hub but that was mostly taken out once the key was used.

Fast forward to a week ago my hub and balancer flew off while driving on the street. I went ahead and mic'd out the crank snout which turns out to be right at 1.208 about 4 hundreds off of the stock 1.25. So I called scat which basically said there was no recourse except for me to tear the motor out and return the faulty crank- this of course is something I'm hoping to avoid.

Does anyone know whether there is a company that offer custom diameter hubs or perhaps a sleeve of some kind? Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

did you look into a speedi-sleeve?
Old 01-29-2015, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I had the dimensions and old crank hub I could make you one
Old 01-29-2015, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

^^^^ this would be ideal

...but OP first confirm your "aftermarket" hub is not machined the wrong size

another option, $5, would be to use shim stock material (pic below) around crank when you press on the slightly larger ID hub
Attached Thumbnails Custom crank hub-shim-stock.jpg  
Old 02-01-2015, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the response guys, sorry I've been rather busy the last few days and haven't been on.

Yea the snout of the crank is definitely not machined right, just to double check I went to the part yard and grabbed a stock hub- it was just as loose as the after market one. The stock crank should be 1.25 instead it is at 1.208.

ZeeTwenty- Thanks for the offer, you must have a cnc machine at your disposal. If I don't come up with another solution I might have to take you up on that. How much would something like this cost?

******- Looks like a speedi sleeve might be a viable option... I tried to find the K&S shim set but couldn't find the exact part #258. Just so I'm understanding this correctly the shim would fit around the entire snout or rather just the around the outside edge- I'm having a hard time visualizing it. For either option I would need to make sure the keyway is not covered.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I could either make a new hub or make a sleeve either or. But no more than 200
Old 02-01-2015, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Chevy..

the sizing shim stock is something I got at a local (old school) hardware store. I used it around a pilot bearing as a aftermarket crank I had was machined slightly to big. In that application it worked very well

if you were to use something like this on crank I would just wrap it around the snout leaving the keyway open. What you need to confirm is you don't wind up just pushing it down as you push hub on.

I would be looking at a speedi-sleeve or having a "custom" hub made. don't know if you can get a speedi-sleeve the exact size you need. They are used more often on the other end of a crank where the RMS is when the crank gets scored and RMS leaks become a issue

another sizing trick machinist do is knurl the inside of your hub
Old 02-01-2015, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Could the interior be knurled and honed to size?

Edit: I type slow.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Wow. I would have never thought about having the interior of the hub kurled- not a bad idea. I'll have to call around to see if any local shops would be able to perform this.

Looking into the speedi sleeve and if not will get a custom hub, I'm not sure if a shim would provide enough contact with the crank...

Quick Reply: Custom crank hub