LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Manley Small Block Pushrod Checker??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Manley Small Block Pushrod Checker??

For this on Speedway's website.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Manley...tud,28458.html

Has anyone used this? Or can anyone vouch for it being good or bad?
Like it says in the details I think this would be awesome with a adjustable pushrod to find the right length.
Only real question I have would be, wouldn't it be different from 1.5, 1.6, 1.7 ratio rockers?
Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited by 96LT1Z; 02-08-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

it says it is to be used "with" a PR length check tool

several companies make them. I use Comps 7702-1 PR checker. I use a caliper to measure the exact overall length of PR check tool setting it at first 7.200" and check witness mark on valve tip and adjust it in .050" increments +/- depending on which direction I need to go based on witness mark. Typically shorter in length with motors with decked blocks and milled heads and thinner head gaskets
Old 02-08-2015, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

What do you think about the ratio?
Wouldn't it be different with different rocker ratios? Maybe I'm wrong I don't know
Old 02-08-2015, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this tool allow you to not have to install checking springs on the valves and turn the engine over to get the correct PR length?
Old 02-08-2015, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Kind of what the point of it I would think?
Old 02-08-2015, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Casey96SS
Would this tool allow you to not have to install checking springs on the valves and turn the engine over to get the correct PR length?
that would be the assumption given their directions

...but IMHO seeing how the RR tip leaves the witness mark on the valve tip after turning the motor over by hand with a check spring is what I would do

with this tool you also need to have 7/16" rocker studs vs 3/8"

It is a quick cool way to see if you need a PR +/- in size but I would still confirm by using a test spring and either the PR check tool adjusted to 7.xxx" to confirm, especially with 1:6 RR

since having #1 cyl at TDC on compression stroke you can check both intake & exhaust on that cyc and lash both those valves and move on the next using sequence/method you desire for lashing the remaining valves.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:27 PM
Banned

I used it, it works and i'll never look back to use an adj p-rod. The checker works fast and its cheap. The adj p-rod has its place but for most mild street cams and unless u plan to use custom length p-rods your wasting time and money.
U can buy p-rods in lengths of 0.050". But let me share with you my "trick flow" p-rods with the length even etched onto the p-rod were several thou too long when i measured them before installing. But the wear patch on the vlv tip was as good as any ive seen. What im saying is for street cams/motors close is good enough.
Ive tried using that adj p-rod with the engine in the car and wasted most of day getting no-where. Ive decided they are mostly for use with the engine on the stand. More for the big cam, big money racers. Save your time and $$$ - go with a 3/8" stud checker for your car (unless u have 7/16" studs).

Yes the higher ratio rocker moves the p-rod closer to the stud but with my 1.6 rockers i havent noticed any difference on the pattern. I think that higher ratio just increases the width of the sweep - not the location on the tip.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:28 AM
Staging Lane

Measuring pushrod length is good practice. But unless you have milld your heads, block surface, or installed thinner head gaskets its unnecessary.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It says it "can" be used with an adjustable pushrod. It would eliminate the trial and error of the adjustable push rod. Install the push rod, install the checker and adjust the push rod until the checker is touching both the valve and the push rod. Remove the checker and measure the push rod, done.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Banned

Never tried that but makes sense. I use a feeler gauge on the side that has gap between the checking tool and either p-rod or vlv tip. If gap on p-rod side then p-rod is to short my the measured feeler gauge distance. If on the vlv tip side the p-rod is too long by the measured p-rod distance. Funny but some of those checkers dont come with instructions. BTW 96LT1Z, im sure u realize the lifter has to be on the base circle.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
It says it "can" be used with an adjustable pushrod. It would eliminate the trial and error of the adjustable push rod. Install the push rod, install the checker and adjust the push rod until the checker is touching both the valve and the push rod. Remove the checker and measure the push rod, done.
lol someone on the same page as me!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:12 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Quick Reply: Manley Small Block Pushrod Checker??