LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Does anyone dyno/tune LT1s anymore smh

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone dyno/tune LT1s anymore smh

Trying to find a shop that will dyno and tune my 97 Camaro near Omaha, NE or Oklahoma City, OK. All the shops around OKC that I've contacted won't do it because it's too old and they don't have the tool or something to tune it or they won't because I only have bolt ons. I'm just wanting to know what I'm really getting horsepower wise with my mods and I want it to be tuned properly cause I bought it and it had a Hypertech sticker on it so I don't know what has been done to the PCM and I just want it to be operating at peak proficiency. Please don't post anything if ur only going to be rude about my lack of knowledge. I am still looking around myself but it's hard to do when u work 70 hours a week and can't research things while driving and that's what I do for a living is drive.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Since you work 70hrs a week I guess that means that your car is parked most of the time.. So with that being said just do a mail order tune from PCMforless then go and get your car dynoed from one of the local guys and see what it makes..
Old 02-19-2015, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

A decent mail order tune is all you'd need. Spending several hundred bucks on a dyno tune for a bolt on LT1 is silly. Buy a spare PCM online and send it out.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with the mail order tune. Make sure you tell the dyno operator you are just wanting a baseline run to see what your car puts out, not at tune. See if they have any dyno days or specials coming up.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. A spare PCM can be had for about 50 bucks. I don't know what dyno prices are in yoru area, but some shops local to me have occasional dyno days where you can get 3 pulls with wideband for around $60.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:27 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

LTx tuners are few and far between because the software is ancient. No one likes to have to DL the PCM info, tune it and then upload it again which can take several minutes per adjustment. LT1 edit and the like is nothing more than the Commodore 64 of tuning software these days.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DynoSport in Lincoln? Where the guys I know have gone. Believe the guy's name is Dan, may be wrong.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
LTx tuners are few and far between because the software is ancient. No one likes to have to DL the PCM info, tune it and then upload it again which can take several minutes per adjustment. LT1 edit and the like is nothing more than the Commodore 64 of tuning software these days.
I agree, the other problem becomes the car themselves usually have all sorts of issues. So for most tuners it isn't worth the head ache. Not when there is an over abundance of LS cars/trucks out there.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

There are still a few good ones out there. Might want to reach out to moe Bailey or ed Wright on here.

I have to agree most have gave it up like Neil said. Cars are 20 years old now and most have not been taken care of and or are built and have bugs to work out.

One of the best things you could do is pick up the software and learn yourself, read then read some more. Pick people's brains that you trust and you will slowly pick it up. I am a bit fortunate I know someone that has taught me a lot and I'm still a novice but can make changes to Ve tables and spark tables and modifier tables for my open loop speed density tune and have gotten my car running pretty good. Take baby baby steps and you can learn a bunch.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:34 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGsmokey10
There are still a few good ones out there. Might want to reach out to moe Bailey or ed Wright on here.
Ed Wright does mail order only.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

I recommend you contact Ed Wright at http://www.fastchip.com/ ..... I've used Ed twice for mail tunes on my 92 LT-1 and have been more than happy with the results both times. The first time was shortly after I had a Trick Flow head and cam package installed on the stock motor. This past winter, I used Karl Ellwein for a top-to-bottom rebuild to a 383 stroker using a heads/cam package from Lloyd Elliott. Again, Ed did a mail tune based solely on the numbers and specs we gave him and he hit the nail square on the head. These guys are all experts when it comes to LT-1 motors, so you can't beat using Ed for a mail tune.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

+1 on PCM Forless Tune i have a bolton LT1, got a mailorder tune from them car is running perfect no problems at all.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good thing I have an OBD2 lt1 tuner a few miles away lol.

Quick Reply: Does anyone dyno/tune LT1s anymore smh