LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Well it died on me again

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well it died on me again

Well I figured out why my car had the high RPM miss, oddly enough it was the opti vent harness. After doing a couple of WOT pulls which were amazing, i get a nasty backfire, and the car died, Im thinking my opti just took a ****, but im not sure, ive had mt icm go out before and the difference with this is that when my icm when out the car wouldn't bother trying to start, when i try cranking this time it back fires, but wont start.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

If you really had problems related to the opti vent harness, you might have had excessive vacuum. That could have caused interference with the cap and rotor. Now that you have the sudden backfire, it could mean your rotor has grenaded.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Teching In

Well thats what i get for buying an autozone opti in the first place, I just picked up a delphi unit, and that should get rid of all my worries, I hope. Im just starting to get sick of taking off that damn water pump, this will be the 4th time in 5 months due to bad luck with bad wp and an opti taking a crap on me.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

My observations from your post are just that. It's not a positive diagnosis.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Teching In

no it hasnt been fun.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny thing is I just went from a delphi unit to an autozone duralast optispark and that fixed my problems. I just couldn't believe that the delphi unit only lasted a year. Which autozone optispark unit did you get? Was it the cardone rebuilt one, because the duralast one I bought was really nice and even came with new opti harness that had thicker wiring.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

What was the problem with the opti vent harness and how did you correct it? If you put both vents on the vacuum side you could have sucked in the cap just enough on that WOT run to have it push in on the rotor. 1 side needs to be on the CAI (ATM pressure) and the other side on vacuum from the intake.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:24 AM
Teching In

What i did is replace all the lines and replaced the check valves and it was cheap to make it myself and that fixed the vent harness. Also I bought the duralast opti which intiailly was great until it just took a **** on me.

Quick Reply: Well it died on me again