LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

918 fail

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flame
I think its time for you to just shut the **** up. You are not helping anyone with your ignorant posts. I can't beleive the mods have let this go on so long.
I second that. Multicolouredcaprice's level of douchebaggery is outstanding, especially to new/younger members just learning.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ch-thread.html
Old 03-16-2015, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 30696bird
Let me start by saying I'm ignorant! (I just want to beat everyone else...)

I must have got a miracle batch. I have ran mine for ~9-10 years with no issues. I have a tendency to run the car hard (6700RPM's) and have probably ~75,000 miles on those springs. Am I saying everyone should run em' till they break?? By no means!!

Different cams have different lobes that can be easier or harder on springs. The 306 isn't as aggressive a lobe as a XFI lobe.
That said it is very likely performance is suffering due to valve float.

Purple, how about you weigh in on whether a 918 failure at 24K miles with XFI lobes is a Comp failure or an OWNER failure?

Roger, take it back to the track, it may well be quicker.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Like someone else posted, springs fail without warning. Like a lightbulb. He could check every day, even the day that he drove and would not have found any indication that it was going to break.
None of this changes the fact that you don't have to be an ******* when you post.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:23 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

**** beehives. That's all I got to say about that.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:50 AM
11 Second Club

24k on a cheap spring with XFI lobes is irresponsible, especially when combined with 8 years.

How about you come down on Roger for trying to throw Comp under the bus? He attacked a vendor for his failure. I took a shot at him for his failure.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh the usual trolls are here. I can see they are a big help!

We are all lazy and most would just like to buy vlv springs and install. Myself ive always selected for application and bolted them on. Well those in sponsored team effort racing spend the time (and $$$) for inspecting and preparation of vlv springs. They all learned the hard way how a vlv spring can cost u a race. So every vlv spring is inspected with 4x magnifier for nicks or even scratches, straightness on a flat plate and polished on each end. For those even more proactive scrubbing each coil with crocus cloth helps also and u have reject springs with any defects. So we're talking like an hour on each spring for 16 springs. Wish i would spend and hour a day cleaning the house let alone my vlv springs.

I have to add no one deserves to be labeled and receive personal attacks for sharing his hobby here. And its the usual assumptive bad mouths again. But i would thank Mr. BAll for sharing his photos and efforts. We all need to hear and see others experiences. Then we can digest for ourselves. But if u have nothing but opinions to share then i also would have to say shut up and listen.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you so much cardO for your enlightenment.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know who Roger is. I am guessing the OP.

I read his post as " I broke my ****, here is a picture of broken ****, glad I saw the broken **** before other damage was caused". I didn't notice Any bitterness, anger or any sense of complaint.

Didn't your parents teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?
Old 03-17-2015, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

My comments about a part breaking is and was not an attempt to "throw that vendor under the bus". Simply to state "my" 918 broke. I published my batch # in a effort to show anyone what "my" batch # was since over the years certain batch #'s were reported as being defective. IIRC there was a time when COMP switched manufacturers and some of those batch #'s were reported in various threads as having problems with breakage.

Post # 22 in this thread is one archive thread noting what the author was posting on reported 918 failure for 918's back in 2007. My batch # (shown in my initial post) matches the authors post showing at the time 3 verified springs breaking.

If expecting 24k mi on a spring made by and spec for the cam was to high a expectation than I am at fault but IMHO I would have expected that many miles without issue. IMHO given the reported failure rate of 918 and specific batch #'s being identified and my spring matching batch #'s with reported failures I am taking the position a manufacturing defect had way more to do with the spring failure than any so called unrealistic opinion the spring should have lasted 24k mi.

Maybe the spring broke when I removed it by using my spring compressor tool to compress it, maybe it broke immediately after install 8 years ago, maybe it broke when I last pulled the car into garage to swap springs. I don't know but I certainly feel lucky I found it before any damage occurred other than a small nick on the retainer of the broken spring.

Instead of taking advice from forum members, one on this thread who has made comments advised me "I see a set of 918's in your future" on an Impala forum he used to frequent. I took that advice (although it did not resolve what my problem at that time was which was a high rpm miss). This time I took the advice of a well regarded head porter, Lloyd Elliott, on what a better spring would be for my motor/cam. He advised the Lunati kit and also commented on 918's as being a spring he had direct experience with and felt it had far to great a failure rate.

Post 29 pretty much sums it up on what I was trying to say other than I was really trying to show that the Lunati spring kit I bought seems to be better than the 918's I took out regardless of the fact one was broken.

At the time I purchased the 918's I felt they were a quality spring made (or at least sold by) a quality manufacturer, Comp. I have Comp cam & RR and feel those parts are also good quality. Any manufacturer of parts regarded as quality, and I see Comp as one of those, will have parts fail either right out of the box or before a reasonable life expectancy. Shiat happens and it happened to me. Fortunately in the end it did not cost me what is a common damage result of a broken, especially single, spring

Hindsight is always 20/20. Due diligence can not be over emphasized. Could I have inspected and tested these springs more frequently, sure. Would that have shown me when the spring would fail, maybe but certainly no guarantee. There is opinions 24k was to much to ask for a lifespan on a 218/224 cam with XFI lobes spinning as high as 6400 RPM at times. Given I don't know when the spring broke as even at 12k mi when I did pull two of them I did not see visually or from pressure test a reason not to continue to use them. At some point between 12k mi and 24k mi one failed...assuming it wasn't broken after initial install.

So take what you want from this thread. It is just my experience, nothing more

thanks
Old 03-17-2015, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello all and welcome to ls1tech, where you will get poked fun at least 10 times while only achieving .8% of knowledge and or insight on the actual question you asked through each time. Lulz, OP springs break. My guess is it's a bad batch. I've had good luck with comp springs in the past.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Read the posts, the knowledgeable folks in this thread agree 24k miles on that can and spring combo was irresponsible. The fact they lived that long is proof they were a good batch.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:39 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Since we continue to see trolling and personal attacks from multiple members, we are taking the next step in disciplinary action with them. If anyone observes these people/trends continuing, please report the post. Moderators do not have the time to read through every single post on the forum and we ask for the members to help report these people accordingly.

Thank you
Old 03-17-2015, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Without commenting on anything else posted in here, I'll say that I'd take anything Lloyd has to say as gospel. He has more valvetrain experience and knowledge than a good majority of this forum put together.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread died quick.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Lloyd installed my 918s!!!! a couple years ago...makes me worried, but he did his checks!

Even worse is I don't have box with the batch number, but I bought them back in 2008
Old 03-19-2015, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by myltwon
I'll say that I'd take anything Lloyd has to say as gospel. He has more valvetrain experience and knowledge than a good majority of this forum put together.
Originally Posted by maybe2fast
Lloyd installed my 918s!!!! a couple years ago...makes me worried, but he did his checks!

Even worse is I don't have box with the batch number, but I bought them back in 2008
Yes Lloyd is more qualified to advise valve train which is why I asked him vs going on a forum for this round of spring choice. He said customers often want him to install 918's and he advises now not to. Given what other choices there are now he recommends other springs.

Is every set of 918's bad, no. Certainly cam profile and what RPM's the motor sees and how often all factor in how long a 918 or any spring will last. As mentioned by several, knowing when a spring will fail is a complete guess even if you pull them every day to test/inspect. In my case at 24k obviously one did fail but I don't know when during its lifespan it did. Fortunately for me it did not cause any internal engine damage. A point has been made by some that 24k mi with my XFI grind was to long and given my experience that appears to be true. What we don't know though was the failure due to use beyond service life or simply a manufacturing defect. Given Comps change in manufacturers around the time (2007) I bought them and my batch # there is a strong correlation the later was the reason in my particular case.

Lloyd, when I asked him how long should I have expected the 918's to live with my cam, said they "should have" lasted 24k mi with my small XFI cam vs the 468 XFI cam where I would be spinning it closer to 7k rpm. He said they certainly would have weakened in 24k mi in terms of their seat & open pressure but he was clear given his experience with them he stays away from them. I had said I spin my motor to 6400 RPM max which is what I have run it to but in 1/4 mi use 6200 is really as far as I go given it peaks on power around 5700 RPM. The build was never intended to be a max power 1/4 mi build.

There is certainly a difference with the new Lunati springs. Car pulls strong to 6400 no problem now.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Don't you have larger(heavier) valves? That might be another aggravating factor?
Old 03-19-2015, 06:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Ferra 2:02/1:60. Good point Dwayne. Cam profile, heavier than stock valve (if they are) all contributing factors of spring life
Old 03-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Launching!

I have a correction in my purchase date from Summit 4/07. Wonder if I got an older better batch (wish I had the box!) They were installed with my 503 cam and then were checked and re-installed by Lloyd when I went to the 306. Total mileage 30k with 3 dyno-pulls and basic street driving.

Quick Reply: 918 fail