LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 or LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 or LS1?

Alright folks, so I'm going to get an F-body soon. Now problem is the LS1s out here is kind of a rarity in decent condition. But there are plenty of V6s and LT1s which aren't as beat up as those LS1s. The main job of the car is gonna be to be a daily, secondary to be a good road course car. I've got a suspension setup in mind, I won't worry about that now. But my question is how reliable is the LT1? And with only 270 hp, how much can we get out of the LT1 at what price and weight compromises? Like ideally I'd like 375-400 crank hp or around 340ish whp. If we go a procharger supercharger how much would it be and at what weight and dollar sacrifice? Or a turbo? Or can heads and cam be enough to add a hundred bhp? Or should I just wait around until a non beat up LS1 comes along?
Old 03-18-2015, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a search, this topic has been beat to death. Also look here,https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...o-archive.html
Old 03-18-2015, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like said, this has been beat to death but i'll throw in some pointers before the LS1 vs LT1 war gets started.

If all your after is a car to cruise around in and make around 400 RWHP N/A, the LT1 can do that and then some. A cam only LT1 can easily put down 330-360 RWHP with supporting mods and yes you can easily add 100HP with a GOOD H/C combo. You don't NEED an LS to go fast or make decent power. Yes they are a superior engine, as they should be, but the LT1 can get it done as well. And yes they are reliable. No the Optispark is not the biggest pile of crap ever like everyone and their dog says. Buy whatever you want, they are both reliable cars, the LS is just easier to make power with mostly do to the head designs. Just take a look on here at all the fast LT cars, it can be easily done.

FYI, don't even think of boost on a stock LT1. A H/C setup is the way to go if all you're after is 400HP or so. A S/C or Turbo setup can easily clear $6K when done correctly and you still have a stock high compression motor.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason all the LS1 cars you are finding are beat is because of the price limit you are putting on your search.

A few things to consider. The 1998 and later F-bodies come with larger front brakes and 4 channel ABS. The LS1 is a superior engine and will make more power more reliably than an LT1. But you can tear up the track with either car. The LT1 will be less to get into (for now) than an LS1 in the same condition. After that mods cost about the same. You can convert the lt1 to ls1 brakes for less than $200.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Both are excellent in their own way. However, my vote goes towards saving for a clean LS1. It's a better overall car. Once you start modding the LT1 car, it won't be long until you would have spent the same amount as a clean LS car anyhow. I've owned a couple of LT1 cars, my old man has owned a few LS cars that I've worked on, driven, raced etc so I consider my opinion to be unbiased.

I would have never messed with LT1's myself if it wasn't for the fact that when I in the market for an F-Body, I was a teenager, and could not afford any of the LS1 cars as they were still fairly new at that time. I'm glad that I did however, I wouldn't trade it for the world, prefer the look, sound, being the underdog etc. The LT1's are damn good cars, but if you can swing it the LS are a little better. Good luck, I am sure you will enjoy either.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not going to touch the LT vs LS debate with a ten foot pole but I will say you will typically get a much nicer LT car for the same money as an OK LS car. Both are good motors, but the aftermarket greatly favors the LS platform as does the capability. What you want out of the car will be a greater determiner of which way you go. If you want a track car (turning of course) then maybe the higher cost of admission of a quality LS car is less appealing since there's only so much power you want in a RWD solid axle vehicle. Both are essentially the same chassis save for a different k-member and brake systems. The money saved between the two could easily pay for quite a bit of the suspension, wheels, tires, etc. you planning on putting on the car.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by hrcslam
The reason all the LS1 cars you are finding are beat is because of the price limit you are putting on your search.

A few things to consider. The 1998 and later F-bodies come with larger front brakes and 4 channel ABS. The LS1 is a superior engine and will make more power more reliably than an LT1. But you can tear up the track with either car. The LT1 will be less to get into (for now) than an LS1 in the same condition. After that mods cost about the same. You can convert the lt1 to ls1 brakes for less than $200.
No, my price limit on the searches on LS1s are unlimited. There's only a couple dealer LS1s around a 75 mile radius of here and both I went to see were kinda beat up and high mileage 90k+ and there's a very low mileage Camaro for $20k... lmao I'm not paying 20k for a LS1 even if it had 0 mileage on it.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by myltwon
Not going to touch the LT vs LS debate with a ten foot pole but I will say you will typically get a much nicer LT car for the same money as an OK LS car. Both are good motors, but the aftermarket greatly favors the LS platform as does the capability. What you want out of the car will be a greater determiner of which way you go. If you want a track car (turning of course) then maybe the higher cost of admission of a quality LS car is less appealing since there's only so much power you want in a RWD solid axle vehicle. Both are essentially the same chassis save for a different k-member and brake systems. The money saved between the two could easily pay for quite a bit of the suspension, wheels, tires, etc. you planning on putting on the car.
Yeah I'm gonna go after some of these LT1s now, a lot of these have around 70k or under 70k miles and probably aren't beat up at all.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

If 340whp is what your looking for it can be done with exhaust only with the Ls. Expand your search a bit, you should be able to get into a nice Ls for around $7-8,000
Old 03-19-2015, 07:33 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Buy a cummins.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z28soon
No, my price limit on the searches on LS1s are unlimited. There's only a couple dealer LS1s around a 75 mile radius of here and both I went to see were kinda beat up and high mileage 90k+ and there's a very low mileage Camaro for $20k... lmao I'm not paying 20k for a LS1 even if it had 0 mileage on it.
Interesting. I'm finding many LS1 in good shape in the 7-9k range. Those priced like a decent LT1 are beat up though.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are talking 340 rwhp and forced induction? Are you going with the v6?
Old 03-19-2015, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Buy a cummins.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:39 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

A couple of things.....

If you're looking for a DD, engine won't matter until you need replacement parts....some LTx stuff has been discontinued, not a lot, but some. They'll both be great driving on the street.

IMO, go for an LS car for a couple reasons.

First they came with larger front brakes from the factory. Saves you from having to swap parts, even though it's easy....I've done it.

Second, you'll get more power per dollar. Truthfully it won't matter, but since you said you want to road course the car, when the time comes, it'll save you a little bit of money.

That touches on the third.....

Forget boost. Infact forget all ideas of power. Start with the suspension and brakes. Learn to drive the car before you get to adding power. You can go plenty fast on a road course with a stock engine. You won't be the fastest out there, but it'll get you seat time to learn the car. Then add power, but keep it N/A.

I've known a lot of guys that bought high dollar cars, only to destroy them because they have absolute zero knowledge on how the car handles and what it does and why. Start small, you'll have a good foundation to start from. Take your time and grow with the car.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by duh
A couple of things.....

If you're looking for a DD, engine won't matter until you need replacement parts....some LTx stuff has been discontinued, not a lot, but some. They'll both be great driving on the street.

First they came with larger front brakes from the factory. Saves you from having to swap parts, even though it's easy....I've done it.

Second, you'll get more power per dollar. Truthfully it won't matter, but since you said you want to road course the car, when the time comes, it'll save you a little bit of money.

Forget boost. Infact forget all ideas of power. Start with the suspension and brakes. Learn to drive the car before you get to adding power. You can go plenty fast on a road course with a stock engine. You won't be the fastest out there, but it'll get you seat time to learn the car. Then add power, but keep it N/A.

I've known a lot of guys that bought high dollar cars, only to destroy them because they have absolute zero knowledge on how the car handles and what it does and why. Start small, you'll have a good foundation to start from. Take your time and grow with the car.
Lots of very good points in here ^^^^^

I say it all the time, always start with the weak links and suspension before adding power.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by duh
A couple of things.....

Well here judge my suspension setup, so far I'm thinking of BMR springs w/ Koni shocks + 35 mm front sway bar, 22 mm rears, 285 PSS all around (riding on 18x10 wheels) Maybe I'm missing somethings on the setup tho
Old 03-21-2015, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
You are talking 340 rwhp and forced induction? Are you going with the v6?
Well.... 340 whp sounds like a lot to me going from around 275 bhp (LT1) ... I didn't know these things made that much power non forced inducted.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z28soon
Well.... 340 whp sounds like a lot to me going from around 275 bhp (LT1) ... I didn't know these things made that much power non forced inducted.
I'm at 414rwhp heads/cam and bolt ons. Many here are have more. 340rwhp NA is easy on an LT1.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Default LT1 or LS1

I have had maybe 6 LT1 cars and I recently purchased my first LS1 car last year. From my experience they are both very reliable cars. Both motors are strong and if we'll taken care will last a very long time. I will tell you that LT1 parts in my opinion are more expensive and a lot of shops will not work on them. LS1 parts aren't cheap either, but they are more readily available. You can get sideways in both, but I would rather have an LS1. No damn opti.... Lol
Old 03-21-2015, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by 99Brd
I have had maybe 6 LT1 cars and I recently purchased my first LS1 car last year. From my experience they are both very reliable cars. Both motors are strong and if we'll taken care will last a very long time. I will tell you that LT1 parts in my opinion are more expensive and a lot of shops will not work on them. LS1 parts aren't cheap either, but they are more readily available. You can get sideways in both, but I would rather have an LS1. No damn opti.... Lol
Well then what do you suggest, a LS1 95k miles for $8k or an LT1 70k for $7k?

Quick Reply: LT1 or LS1?