LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

high pitch howl

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high pitch howl

Hey guys. So a few weeks ago this loud high pitch Howl has started coming from my car... its loud and i can identify where its coming from... the noise happens when i apply the gas (even louder at high speeds) ...

Ive tried speeding up and throwing it in neutral to hear where the noise is.. you can hardley hear it,

Ive just rebuilt my rear differntial. put all new hub bearings/ axel bearings -/carrier bearings/ pinion bearings.... so Its probably not a bearing. Could it be an idler pully?
Old 04-13-2015, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

If it changes with load, it is probably the ring and pinion. Did you properly re-setup the gears when you did the rear end work?
Old 04-13-2015, 04:07 PM

yes it was done properly. started makin the noise a few weeks after the rebuild. It comes and goes tho... howling 90% of the time. I did forget to add friction additive.. but then Adding it a few days later after a clunking noise appeared. Fixed that then few days later this high pitched howl starts
Old 04-13-2015, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Betting the crush sleeve preload was wrong.......
You want to believe you did the axle right but the symptoms are classic axle.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:10 AM

We came up with a similar idea. Wr figure the torque of the car when i hole shot it. Might cause the crush sleeve to compress more.

So i tightened the pinion nut a 1/4 turn just to see if it would take the noise away. It didnt seem to help it. If at all i hear the noise starting now at 50mph instead of 65.

Suggestions? Shouldni tighten the nut more? Take it off and just put on a new crush sleeve and try the rolling torque again?
Old 04-24-2015, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bojangels
We came up with a similar idea. Wr figure the torque of the car when i hole shot it. Might cause the crush sleeve to compress more.

So i tightened the pinion nut a 1/4 turn just to see if it would take the noise away. It didnt seem to help it. If at all i hear the noise starting now at 50mph instead of 65.

Suggestions? Shouldni tighten the nut more? Take it off and just put on a new crush sleeve and try the rolling torque again?
Tightening that nut pulls the pinion away from the ring. So does load. You're making it worse when you tighten it if the crush sleeve is bad. Soon you'll get a jack hammer effect.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Assuming this is the spindly 10 bolt we are talking about, the crush sleeve needs to go in the trash and get a Ratech solid spacer and shims in there. It takes longer to set up, but it won't compress and ruin everything. It will also help you find the next weakest link...
Old 04-25-2015, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
Assuming this is the spindly 10 bolt we are talking about, the crush sleeve needs to go in the trash and get a Ratech solid spacer and shims in there. It takes longer to set up, but it won't compress and ruin everything. It will also help you find the next weakest link...
yes its the 10bolt. Do you jappen to have a link to the solid spacer on jegs or summit? I cant seem to find it. Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: high pitch howl