LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Weird Idle Issue (Stumble/Stall) SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Weird Idle Issue (Stumble/Stall) SOLVED

Thought I'd share.

So my car suddenly started stumbling at idle, then randomly dying from the stumbling. It was very frustrating to say the least. No codes, no nothing to point to a problem. IAC worked, TPS was good, fuel pressure, spark, etc. etc. etc.

My AC also had an intermittent issue. It would only work intermittently. I figured it was low refrigerant. But, I was out of town and didn't have my laptop or AC gauges. I couldn't take the heat (Black tinted glass T-Tops and Black Pleather equals not so cool in the car with anything over 75°F). So I decided to just charge it a bit. No bueno.

Alright, this is where it gets interesting. I decided to swap relay's to check that part of the AC system and when I grabbed the AC Relay the clutch kicked on. I let go and it turned off. So I swap relays with a known good one with the exact same symptoms.

Turns out my relay panel has some loose connection on the under side (it is 20 years old) and caused just enough connection for the ECM to "see" the AC was on, but not enough connection to actually engage the AC clutch. So the engine would expect an additional load and adjust IAC, fuel, spark etc for it but not get a load and the RPMs would be off for it's target. This caused the ECM to go berzerk and eventually lead to a rich idle/stumble/stall situation.

I fixed the relay connection issue and all is flawless again.

So for anyone with similar issues, this could be it.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My AC just stopped working on my 95 Z28 and it shows its fully charged. I will have to check out the AC relay and connections on there to see if that is why its not working.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast350Z
My AC just stopped working on my 95 Z28 and it shows its fully charged. I will have to check out the AC relay and connections on there to see if that is why its not working.
If that doesn't work, check your low pressure switch near the shock tower. Take a piece of wire and jump the terminals on the plug and see if the compressor kicks on with A/C on. If it does, you probably have a bad switch.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice find! I hade a 01 bonneville in the shop once, Would run a while and shut off ect. I found that the underhood fuse/realy box had 3 bolts holding it togather and the bolts had backed way off. Tightened them up and away it went.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
If that doesn't work, check your low pressure switch near the shock tower. Take a piece of wire and jump the terminals on the plug and see if the compressor kicks on with A/C on. If it does, you probably have a bad switch.
Thanks for the advice, I will try that and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Weird Idle Issue (Stumble/Stall) SOLVED