LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need a Tim's tool valve spring compressor

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need a Tim's tool valve spring compressor

I'm tired of driving my pile around with these shitty beehive valvesprings that float over 5800 RPM.....I bought the Lunati 73925K5 dual valve spring kit that has 153lb seat pressure over a year ago and they sit collecting dust in my garage.

I'm having a hell of a time finding a local shop that wants to touch a LT1 to swap out my springs and re-measure my pushrods...every local shop acts like it's some exotic race motor since its a 383 with ported heads and aftermarket valve train.... WTF

A valvespring swap is beyond my comfort level of doing it myself, opti swaps and what not are about as far as I go...Lol.

I took it to some redneck mechanic out in Locust NC who claimed to be able to do it for me, he had the car for 3 weeks and didn't touch a damn thing till I had to come re-posses it; he then tells me he's a Mustang guy; and not familiar with LT1s.....WTF...*******!

I made a appointment to get it done at JHR motorsports up in Mooresville weeks ago, they put my name in the book to reserve a spot and said show up at 9AM on 4/20 , I show up on time; the mechanic tells me they are swamped with some turbo buick build for the next two months...WTF...a phone call would be nice at least to tell me I'm being hosed.

So I'm back to square one trying to get a shop, I finally found one in Concord NC, B.R.E. Motorsports that actually has people that know what the hell they are talking about, but they are hesitant on quoting the job since they think the motor has to be pulled to put in some valve springs since half of them are hidden up under the dash, and think their valvespring tool can't get back there. I tell them yes it is a PITA to do, but it can/has be done many times. I don't want to have to pay extra to pull the motor for valve springs obviously...

I want to get this done as quickly and painlessly as possible, even if I have to buy the specific valve spring tool for the LT1 myself, does anybody have a "Tim's valve spring tool" for LT1's they want to lend/sell me?
Old 04-21-2015, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just buy one, it's cheap and it works great. Honestly if you can replace an Opti, you can replace springs. It's real easy. Follow shboxs guide on TDC so you know what cylinder to work on. You replace the rocker stud with the one provided, put that cylinder at TDC, center the tool on the valve and tighten it down till the locks come loose (might have to tap with a mallet) Use a magnet to grab the locks and loosen the tool and the spring is out. The valve will only drop a 1/2" or less. You should replace valve seals while you're at it but that optional. Get a spring height tool to measure installed height of the new springs as well. Shim if necessary and then go in reverse to put the new springs in. Can't learn something if you don't try it. Don't waste money on a shop doing the work.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
Just buy one, it's cheap and it works great. Honestly if you can replace an Opti, you can replace springs. It's real easy. Follow shboxs guide on TDC so you know what cylinder to work on. You replace the rocker stud with the one provided, put that cylinder at TDC, center the tool on the valve and tighten it down till the locks come loose (might have to tap with a mallet) Use a magnet to grab the locks and loosen the tool and the spring is out. The valve will only drop a 1/2" or less. You should replace valve seals while you're at it but that optional. Get a spring height tool to measure installed height of the new springs as well. Shim if necessary and then go in reverse to put the new springs in. Can't learn something if you don't try it. Don't waste money on a shop doing the work.
Optispark installation is kinda foolproof...either it works or it doesn't....and if it doesn't it doesn't trash the engine! Bad valve spring install....could be big problems, which scares me!

I'll do a little more research about doing the job myself, I'm just the type person who likes to see something like that done first hand by someone who knows what they are doing, and get my hands dirty helping out before I try it solo. Only reason I'm comfortable changing optisparks is my buddy helped me do it once, it's easier to learn by doing it like you say than reading something online and trying to follow along. I just don't want to **** something up because I'm a newb and valvespring installation, measuring pushrods, valve adjustment, ect....I've got a lot of money in this engine to mess something up!

I can't find one for sale anywhere...I sent the guy that used to sell them a PM, let me know if anyone knows where to buy one. I have no problems shelling out the $40 or whatever for one...

Last edited by ahritchie; 04-21-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Smile

This forum is awesome...Tim just PMed me he will have more ready by next week. Looks like I need the tool regardless of if I do it or a shop does it. If anybody is local to the Charlotte area and wants some spare cash and free beer to help me out/guide me with this project on one of the next few weekends, I'm eager to learn! If I had to rate my mechanical skills on a 1-10 scale, 1 being complete idiot/incompetent fool, 10 being master technician, I'm a solid 4-5!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A solid 3-4 is what you will find at most shops, being led by a 5-6.....soo, I'd say your golden for a novice
Old 04-22-2015, 01:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

I just installed that spring kit. I have the Crane tool but read Tim's works well.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cr...FRSEfgodUU0ALw .

changing to the Lunati springs you don't need to change PR length.

If you do the work yourself, get a shim kit and a valve spring height measuring tool with the right size top for the retainer size in the spring kit. Lloyd Elliott said to set mine up at 1.780" installed height. The Lunati kit you have is a nice spring

the spring kit should have new valve stem seals in it. you need to change them
Attached Thumbnails Need a Tim's tool valve spring compressor-lunati-springs-installed-1.780.jpg  
Old 04-22-2015, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ******
OP

I just installed that spring kit. I have the Crane tool but read Tim's works well.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cr...FRSEfgodUU0ALw .

changing to the Lunati springs you don't need to change PR length.

If you do the work yourself, get a shim kit and a valve spring height measuring tool with the right size top for the retainer size in the spring kit. Lloyd Elliott said to set mine up at 1.780" installed height. The Lunati kit you have is a nice spring

the spring kit should have new valve stem seals in it. you need to change them
I've got to ask, I realize 1.790" is the stock installed height; the Lunati springs say 153lbs at installed height of 1.810"

That's going to increase spring pressure even more than 153lbs no? (How much more?) I should not have to have to worry about valve spring coil bind since my cam is .550" lift (with 1.6 RRs so really .586" lift?) and the springs are rated at max lift of .630" Right?

I'm just wondering what the logic is behind installing them at factory installed height opposed to what Lunati says....

Last edited by ahritchie; 04-22-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
I've got to ask, I realize 1.790" is the stock installed height; the Lunati springs say 153lbs at installed height of 1.810"

That's going to increase spring pressure even more than 153lbs no? (How much more?) I should not have to have to worry about valve spring coil bind since my cam is .550" lift (with 1.6 RRs so really .586" lift?) and the springs are rated at max lift of .630" Right?

I'm just wondering what the logic is behind installing them at factory installed height opposed to what Lunati says....
Yes it will go up. Those springs are 380lbs/in. So 1.810"-1.780"=.030", 380lbs/inx.030"=11.4lbs, 11.4lbs+153lbs=164.4lbs in the seat.

I think most go with the 1.78 to raise the seat pressure. You don't need that. But I doubt you'll have enough room to get 1.81" installed unless you have different retainers and all that jazz that allows the sorting to extend more. However, that could lead to rocker to valve spring retainer interference.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Lloyd Elliott said to set them up at that height for my set-up
Old 04-23-2015, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ******
Lloyd Elliott said to set them up at that height for my set-up
Gotcha...I'll try to get them as close to the installed height spec Lunati says; I've got the Lunati Voodoo 60122 cam too. I'm somewhat skeptical about advice I get from Lunati though, since they are the ones who originally recommended their beehive springs which float!

Quick Reply: Need a Tim's tool valve spring compressor