LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

maybe opti

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maybe opti

I bought a cheap chandler opti and after installing everything it fired right up for about 5 sec as soon as it idle down it died and now no start just cranks if it's the opti I'll just go buy a new delphi the car ran fine before the opti crapped on me so I don't think it's the fuel pump I know I got the firing order correct and there is enough oil in the car
Year old icm
New delco coil
Year old delco fuel pump
Did vats bypass with the correct resistor so I doubt it's that
I'm going to order a cable for my laptop here soon any suggestions on what it could be before the cable gets here
Old 04-25-2015, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Likely the Opti. Did you verify the rotor that is pressed on (the the Cam drives) is clock properly. The cheap ones will be clocked together wrong and throw everything off.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

How do you verify if they are. I locktite the screws on I'm going to test the coil here to see if the opti sensor is working
Old 04-25-2015, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hagff95
How do you verify if they are. I locktite the screws on I'm going to test the coil here to see if the opti sensor is working
I compare the disc installed to the pin for the cam on the new one and the old one.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Well just did a spark test the spark from the coil is white and steady but at the plugs it only ignites sometimes and is a weak red spark is it the cap and rotor on the opti
Old 04-25-2015, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hagff95
Well just did a spark test the spark from the coil is white and steady but at the plugs it only ignites sometimes and is a weak red spark is it the cap and rotor on the opti
Could be. Did you replace it with the Opti? Also, check your wires and plugs too.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't heard anything good about Chandler optisparks....the general consensus is AC Delco/delphi or the MSD are the only decent ones. Which are both way too expensive, you generally get what you pay for though! I tried cheap Duralast gold optisparks from Autozone because I was being a tight wad ....first one was a dud, would not even start the car... second one had a very random low RPM misfire that drove me crazy until it died a couple thousand miles later....at least I was able to get my money back on my failed experiment.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

I just used the cap and rotor that came with the chandler opti I had an ac delco on there and that failed after my heater core hose broke and sprayed coolant all over I'm needing to get back on the road here soon but I know the coil is good because I put the one that came with the car back in it and that one use to work but it couldn't substan high rpm and with that one I couldn't get the spark plugs to even spark so I know this new coil is still strong enough to at least spark so I'm leaning toward the cap and rotor not being able to produce a strong spark to ignite the fuel I know the injectors are spraying bcuz when I pulled the plug there was some gas on it but not saying that they could be leaky to

Quick Reply: maybe opti