LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

another lt1 no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another lt1 no start

so I made a recent post about my car starting after an opti install but only for about 10 seconds then killed itself. well after do some testing I realized the spark at the plugs were weak but good at coil so I bought a Delphi opti and installed it now I have very good strong spark at the plugs.
now some background: one day driving down the road the heater core hose snapped and sprayed coolant everywhere soaking everything and the car started cutting out and stalling so after replacing the hose and letting the car sit for a week the car would start but after warmed it would start missing and stumbling and if you tried putting it in gear it would die. so replaced the opti with a chandler motorsport and it started up like a champ but kinda high about 1800 then when it got down to 900rpm it killed itself and wouldn't turn back over and now after putting a Delphi in I have better spark but no start. when pulling the plugs they are alittle damp and smell like gas so I would imagine it is getting fuel but I don't know I haven't been able to put a pressure tester on.
my questions are what sensors if any could cause it not to start and can the fuel pump go out just like that because how could it run before the opti installs but now nothing or could it be fpr
Old 04-30-2015, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hagff95
so I made a recent post about my car starting after an opti install but only for about 10 seconds then killed itself. well after do some testing I realized the spark at the plugs were weak but good at coil so I bought a Delphi opti and installed it now I have very good strong spark at the plugs.
now some background: one day driving down the road the heater core hose snapped and sprayed coolant everywhere soaking everything and the car started cutting out and stalling so after replacing the hose and letting the car sit for a week the car would start but after warmed it would start missing and stumbling and if you tried putting it in gear it would die. so replaced the opti with a chandler motorsport and it started up like a champ but kinda high about 1800 then when it got down to 900rpm it killed itself and wouldn't turn back over and now after putting a Delphi in I have better spark but no start. when pulling the plugs they are alittle damp and smell like gas so I would imagine it is getting fuel but I don't know I haven't been able to put a pressure tester on.
my questions are what sensors if any could cause it not to start and can the fuel pump go out just like that because how could it run before the opti installs but now nothing or could it be fpr
Maybe try unplugging the MAF and see if that helps starting it, ICM (ignition control module) will definitely cause no start if it goes out (and they do frequently in my experience). Maybe get yours tested.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Well from coil and good spark at the plugs so shouldn't my icm be ok? And I put the fuel pressure tester on today and while the pump is priming it is at 43lbs but as soon as it stops it drops down to 36lbs and then bleeds off about a 1.5lb a minute I didn't test it on any other cars so idk if it's the tester or not
Old 04-30-2015, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hagff95
Well from coil and good spark at the plugs so shouldn't my icm be ok? And I put the fuel pressure tester on today and while the pump is priming it is at 43lbs but as soon as it stops it drops down to 36lbs and then bleeds off about a 1.5lb a minute I didn't test it on any other cars so idk if it's the tester or not
I'm curious on everyone's take of if this fuel pressure pattern is okay or not, mine does exactly the same thing, i'm troubleshooting a similar issue, a new delphi opti comes/goes on tomorrow
Old 04-30-2015, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaxem
I'm curious on everyone's take of if this fuel pressure pattern is okay or not, mine does exactly the same thing, i'm troubleshooting a similar issue, a new delphi opti comes/goes on tomorrow
If your injectors aren't leaking, I wouldn't sweat that bleed down rate. I think it's supposed hold pressure longer than that per specs, but that should work fine so long as it's not a leaking injector.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

OP, did you make sure the injectors were actually firing? If so then, you need to ensure it's getting the timing right. It's happened before where someone installed the Opti clocked wrong.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

I marked on the ring where the dowel was with a sharpie and marked the correct slot on the opti it slid in pretty easily other than using some force to get those o rings to slide in but I haven't been able to get a set of noid lights yet to test the injectors
Old 05-01-2015, 01:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hrcslam
If your injectors aren't leaking, I wouldn't sweat that bleed down rate. I think it's supposed hold pressure longer than that per specs, but that should work fine so long as it's not a leaking injector.
I'll pull off my fuel rails off tomorrow and make sure, it's a used set of SVO red tops that went on pretty recently, i'm hoping they wouldn't be my problem though, the car ran great for a week or two and i ran a can of seafoam through the gas, no problem during or for a while after that even...
Old 05-01-2015, 05:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jaxem
I'll pull off my fuel rails off tomorrow and make sure, it's a used set of SVO red tops that went on pretty recently, i'm hoping they wouldn't be my problem though, the car ran great for a week or two and i ran a can of seafoam through the gas, no problem during or for a while after that even...
If you have fuel and spark, it's probably timing. Check wire routing or the opti clocking. If all that is good, time for a compression check.

Quick Reply: another lt1 no start